Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #1

I don't know if this is the correct spot to post this or not (admin feel free to move).

I purchased a wireless backup camera systems from Wallmart, (VR3) thinking I could use in on my 30 ft fifth wheel. The box said it was to be used with cars, SUV's and RV's. After talking to the factory I found out that the camera has only a 19 foot range. I went ahead and tried it; the best I could get was 20-25 feet from the camera to the monitor. If you have a very short rig this would work fine but the range limitation is not too good for most RV applications.

Jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #2

I don't know if this is the correct spot to post this or not (admin feel free to move).

I purchased a wireless backup camera systems from Wallmart, (VR3) thinking I could use in on my 30 ft fifth wheel. The box said it was to be used with cars, SUV's and RV's. After talking to the factory I found out that the camera has only a 19 foot range. I went ahead and tried it; the best I could get was 20-25 feet from the camera to the monitor. If you have a very short rig this would work fine but the range limitation is not too good for most RV applications.

Jack

Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the trial. I saw them at another store but decided to wait. I'm glad I did. Sorry you had to be the one who got burned. I guess you can always use it to help hook up your 5er providing you have enough range for it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

Richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #4

I've read a number of the same comments about the wireless systems.

I bought a wired system from Ebay. It was $118 and included the monitor, camera, and remote control. It has a second input, so I added another camera to the back of the TT (first one went on the TV). By using the remote, I can switch between the two camera inputs. I use the TV when not hitched, or when hitching. The TT one (of course) gets used when towing.

Details and pictures of my setup at this link.

2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4
2manytoyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #5

2ManyToyz1

That is a Fantastic Job.... The pics are even better...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #6

Great Job!

Gave me a few ideas. Thank You for posting

Jack
Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Does anyone know if there is a larger monitor that will work with this same system. When it was on the Jeep rear view mirror it was acceptable for seeing behind the TT as we traveled along the road (hooked to on/off switch to power the camera while I drove) Now that I am using it in our motor home the screen is a little small to be seen with clarity from about 6 feet away. I have the monitor attached to my rear view mirror because there just ain't no way the rear view mirror can see anything out the back window.

I have the same VR 3 unit as the OP.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
paz

2manytoyz1 - nice job. Thanks for the great pics!

Can you provide the eBay source for the camera?
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #9

Voyaguer makes a wireless system with a small monitor, it has sound and reception has been fine for our set-up. The camera and monitor are split by @ 60'.

Amazon.com : Voyager WVOS511 Digital Wireless Observation System featuring WiSight Technology, Includes AOM562 5.6" LCD Color Monitor and VCMS10B Super CMOS Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Electronics

It was on the pricey side but is a quick fix for rear vision. We recently switched back to a fifth wheel from a pusher and the nice thing about the rear camera now is I can actually hear my wife through the speaker without the Cummins in the background like on the class A.

Adam
Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #10

If you have an iPhone 5 and a travel trailer or 5th wheel, this camera system works great:

Rv Rearview Camera Systems - Wireless Rear View Camera

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Road Pic 045 MM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	73237  
Old 09-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
If you have an iPhone 5 and a travel trailer or 5th wheel, this camera system works great:Fred
If it floats your boat but I would rather have a dedicated phone and a dedicated rear view system. I am a firm believer in not having an "i" anything.

Possum
Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice
Old 10-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
If you have an iPhone 5 and a travel trailer or 5th wheel, this camera system works great:

Rv Rearview Camera Systems - Wireless Rear View Camera

Fred
Would a IPAD work as the monitor, would provide a much bigger screen.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You can buy at present a back view camera that has a 7" screen for under $40.00 shipping included. I just ordered on and my present camera and monitor will become my right side monitor for when I might be passing someone going slower than me.