Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 AM   #1

Has Anybody Wired A Fith Wheel For In Truckbed Generator (30 Amp)Honda 3000 SI, When Fith Wheel Came With (50Amp) Setup From Factory? I Have The Heavy Duty Marine Type Plugin For Shore Power(50Amp)Removable Power Cord. I Want This For Runing Generator When Going Down The Road Or Rest Stops With Out Having To Pull Out Hookup And Run Extentions To Generator Every Time I Want Power.I Know I Need # 10 Wire Or Larger For Tailer Part But Wanted Ideas On Hooking Up To The (50Amp) Part .Has Anybody Done This? Thanks In Advance For All Help
goose222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 AM   #2

Has Anybody Wired A Fith Wheel For In Truckbed Generator (30 Amp)Honda 3000 SI, When Fith Wheel Came With (50Amp) Setup From Factory? I Have The Heavy Duty Marine Type Plugin For Shore Power(50Amp)Removable Power Cord. I Want This For Runing Generator When Going Down The Road Or Rest Stops With Out Having To Pull Out Hookup And Run Extentions To Generator Every Time I Want Power.I Know I Need # 10 Wire Or Larger For Tailer Part But Wanted Ideas On Hooking Up To The (50Amp) Part .Has Anybody Done This? Thanks In Advance For All Help
goose222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hi Goose,

A lot of us use them as you describe, click here for an old thread discussing it. Here's another one.

If you want some more info, keep an eye on this thread or do some searches to pull up stuff already tried.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #4

I'm in the process of doing this also(but I have a 30 amp trailer). I installed a 30 amp RV automatic transfer switch near the existing breaker box/converter (They also make 50 amp transfer switches).
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> You will have three lines (circuits)to the transfer switch...shore, generator, panel. Each consisting of a hot, neutral, and ground conductor. The transfer switch is all labeled, so hookup is easy. DISCONNECT ALL POWER FIRST!
<LI> Disconnect the existing shore cord from the breaker panel and hook it to "shore" on the transfer switch.
<LI> Run a line from the breaker panel(where the shore cable used to be) to the "panel" on the transfer switch.
<LI> Connect the new generator line to the "generator" on the transfer switch.[/list]I ran my generator line from this transfer switch to the pin area using conduit...etc. At the pin I installed a 30 amp Marinco inlet. The generator (a Honda 5500) is in truck bed (front corner). A cable goes from the new inlet to the generator (with ends to fit each). I'm also going to change out the existing shore cord at the back corner of the fiver with a detachable Marinco cable.
The transfer switch is the brain of the whole system. It keeps you from feeding power from shore and generator simultaniously and it keeps the unused cord "cold". When the transfer switch detects current from the generator inlet it will disconnect from the shore inlet and only let the generator inlet feed the breaker box. When there is no generator output, the cord from the transfer switch to the generator inlet is disconnected and the transfer switch accepts power from the shore line. I used 10 gauge wire for all. Using the Marinco type inlets (they have male prongs) prevents the double male cords that are deadly and not code.

All the above is "at your ouw risk". If you are not familar with electrical wiring (neutrals, hots, and grounds) and breaker boxes...use an electrician!

I'm not sure how you will wire a 30 amp generator to a 50 amp RV, but you will at least need a 50 amp transfer switch to accept 50 amp shore power. your 30 amp generator will somehow tie into part of the 50 amp generator terminal on the transfer switch.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #5

Yes. I have installed the Honda EU3000 in my truck bed and converted the generator for Remote Start.

I can start/stop the generator from inside our 5th and/or use the generator when not connected to the 5th.

It isn't complicated but is easier to explain over the telephone.

Send me an email and I'll give you our phone number and I'll gladly explain my arrangement.

Dave De Valk
D. De Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #6

When I finally get out of the house and can travel, I plan on using my Generac XL4000 gen set in the truck bed as mentioned in Hitchhikers link from a previous post. I see no need for running it while towing, so I will make up the 40' cable needed to connect the generator to the trailer via the normal imput arrangement.

I also plan to move the spare tire for the truck up into the bed or under the trailer and install a 40 gallon transfer flow tank were the spare tire goes. I'll feed the generator with a buzz pump running off the 12v circuit on the gen set. Still have to work out the details for the hook up. The XL4000 gen set uses very little gas at 1/2 load. During one of the hurricanes down here, my son in law used it for his house. He was getting 14 to 18 hrs of run time from a tank of fuel. Its electric start and has a shut off for low oil and one other thing.

I may install it in a vented and insulated tool box at bed rail height.

Dave