Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #1

Has anyone mounted a generator in the pulling truck, and instead of using the STD electrical cord (the one used in a campground) mount an electrical box near or on the kingpin bracket, then running directly to the main breaker inside the 5er? My goal is to make it as easy as possible to make the connection while on the road, and not have to lug the heavy 50Amp cord to the generator. I am not even sure there is enough cord to reach the truck. Any help or ideas would be welcomed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM   #2

Has anyone mounted a generator in the pulling truck, and instead of using the STD electrical cord (the one used in a campground) mount an electrical box near or on the kingpin bracket, then running directly to the main breaker inside the 5er? My goal is to make it as easy as possible to make the connection while on the road, and not have to lug the heavy 50Amp cord to the generator. I am not even sure there is enough cord to reach the truck. Any help or ideas would be welcomed.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #3

It would be simple to do, but a transfer switch is needed to keep your existing cord at the back from becoming energized when you run the front cord into the generator. Or you can plug your existing cord into the new cord you run up to the front while the existing cord is in it's stowed position. I'm going to do it (transfer switch)to ours before summer 06 and carry the generator in the truck with a short cord from the kingpin area.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I agree that a transfer switch would do the job, and that may be what I end up doing, but the problem with the std cord would not be an issue unless I forgot to remove it. (not likely, as I would be traveling on the road, and not in a campground. The cord attaches to the trailer via a "marine" plug that screws into the receptacle, and has to be removed and stored when traveling. I was thinking fo using a weatherproof female plug at the kingpin location, so the truck to trailer cord would both have male ends. I WOULD have to remember to remove this cord prior to hooking up to shore power in a campground. I am trying to think of a way to prevent an accident if I ever forgot to remove it while on the road and pulled into a campground with it connected. Thats why my comment on possibly ending up with a transfer switch as a last resort.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #5

Coastal Campers
Saw this done on a Wildcat site.. the Wildcat owner ran a #10 line from where the 5er power cord was stored to an electrical box inside/under the pin box he then ran a flexible cord from the electrical box under the pin box to a twist lock male.. this would be run into the truck bed.. back at the power cord he installed an RV female outlet on the end of the #10.. when disconnecting from shoer power & storing the cord he takes the trailer male end and stores it plugged into the new RV female outlet.. so.. when using the generator he must assure that the new twistlock is extended up from the pin box, the otherens is connected were the shore power cord is stored.. nothing fancy.. no live male plugs..

Found his pictures..

http://www.bobbystuff.com/bobby/Generator.htm
Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I do not have the same shorepower set up. The 50Amp cord screws into a plug on the side of the 5er. It must be completely removed and stowed in the forward storage area and is not available to connect to the end of the #10 wire running from the kingpin area.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #7

.....run a SO chord parallel to the trailer frame to the back side of the marine plug to the front of the hitch and mount another marine plug-same as the back one....use the orgional pigtail to hook up the generator in the truck to the trailer receptical....Not the cheapest way of doing it but the easiest and the possibility of crossing wires is..... NOT possible!.....make sure your wire is the proper guage!....AND you would NOT be able to plug into both recepticals because the pigtail won't reach the back of the trailer receptical.....geofkaye[damnI'mgood]
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #8

What size generator do you have? How many amps does it put out? If it only puts out 30 amps do what I've done.

I have a Honda EU3000, in the P/U, which has electric start but I don't have a battery in it. It went capoot and a new one costs $75.

I installed a Remote Start system in the generator which requires a battery so I get power from the truck battery. The remote start requires the start switch of the generator to be on ALL the time. So in place of a battery I put a Ford starter solonoid in line between truck and generator. I ran a wire from the solonoid to the trailer with a toggle switch to be able to get DC power to the generator.

I put a transfer switch between the land power cord and the generator power cord as close to the AC control panel as possible. I don't have to think to disconnect a cord when we set up. A transfer switch only costs about $65 compared to a generator. It only takes one time an the generator can be fried.

I then ran a #10 power cord from the transfer box to the generator.

When I hitch up for travel I connect the Trailer power cord to the truck, the generator power cord to the trailer and the Solonoid control cord to the trailer.

If power cords are not connected to the trailer I can still use the remote start by putting a shorted out plug in the femal solonoid cord.

I hope this isn't too confusing because it is very easy to install.

Good luck,

Dave De Valk
D. De Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #9

Thanks for the information on your setup. It will sure help while I design my system. Lots of good ideas. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #10

I was going to do this, and got a RV extension cord so as to have the proper wire guage, hookup and ends. Cut it in half, wiring one end to the special Honda plug, and planned on
wiring the other to the new transfer switch at the back of the trailer where the existing cord entered.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:09 PM   #11

I carry my EU3000 in the bed of my truck which has a topper on it. I bought 50 feet of 10/3 SO cord and put a male 30 amp on one end and a female 30 amp on the other end.(Essentially a 50 foot 30 amp extension cord and you also need the 30 amp twist lock adapter plug). I keep the 50 foot extension coiled up in the bed of the truck next to the generator. When I stop and want generator power, I just grab the female end of the 50 foot extension and pull it to the rear of the trailer. I pull the trailer cord out about 3 feet and plug it into the extension cord, then hang it on the stabilizer jack to keep it out of the weather. The exhaust of my EU3000 clears the top of my tailgate, so all I have to do is open the back window glass on the topper and fire up the Honda. This also works great when dry camping in national parks, as I keep the generator in the truck (for security reasons) and the extension cord is long enough to reach the trailer from almost anywhere I might park the truck. If I need the truck, I just unplug it at the generator end and take off. Total cost.....about $100.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:24 AM   #12

Thanks much. Your method seems to be a winner. Not complicated, and works. Cheap too. I think that is the way I will go and see how it works for us. One snag for me is that I have an electrical plug that the land line screws into. Its just like what they use for big boats for shore power, so I will need to buy ($79.00 at Camping World) a short adapter that screws into the 50AMP recepticle on the rear of the 5er and has a 30AMP male on the other end. Thanks for you help.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #13

Before you buy the shore power screw in plug adapter, check with West Marine. I think they sell replacement ends for the yellow screw in electrical plugs. Just buy one of those ends and put it on the end of the 50 foot 10/3 SO cord, then you don't have to monkey around with an adapter. I would still keep the regular 30 amp male end on the generator end, (you will need a 30 amp RV to 30 amp twist lock adapter here to mate up with the generator) because some day you may need a long extension cord to hook up in a campground. Good luck with your project.

P.S. I used to love the trout fishing around Stroudsbug. Was stationed at Johnsville NADC '67-69.
2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:03 AM   #14

All good advise, and I will look in my West marine catalog for a plug. And yes, the fishing is still good in the area, although it is a lot more crowded in the streams and ponds than it was when you were here. I guess that can be said for any "nice" area in the country though. We thought we were living in the country, and the city is coming to us, thus one of the reasons for buying the "get away 5er". Thanks again for your good ideas.