Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

With autos,the best trade-ins stay w/the dealer & the junk goes elsewhere. RVs also?

I've wondered how the used RV business compares with used cars in that regard. If I got to a new car dealership with a good reputation, I can usually count on his used cars being in good shape. They tend to sell the problem trade-ins to another dealer (or have their own "step down" used car lot elsewhere in town) or they go to mass auctions. Indeed, when I bought my used cars in the Pacific Northwest, my professional auto inspector used to tell me, "At this city's reputable new car dealers, I rarely inspect a used car that flunks the inspection. But when I got to the auto malls here, I rarely inspect a used car that passes the inspection."

So I wondered: Are there any similar dynamics with used RVs? Or is it a whole different ball games? (I assume the latter but surely the best dealers don't want any customers to have a bad experience and never come back. Or is "repeat customers" and customer loyalty basically foreign to the used RV marketplace?

What should I know about the used RV market dynamics that might help me as I shop around?
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Myself I'd say most 99.99% RV dealerships are out to make a PROFIT and don't care if what you get is good or bad, like a used car lot basically. You have to watch out for yourself because they will sell you a loaded lemon.
I talked to over ten different dealers and they will tell a big one. One my fav's oh yes that 250/2500 truck will pull any thing I got on this lot, but will it be safe? Saw a man about to pull out of a dealership pulling a 40ft Montana with a Nissan 1/2 ton! So that dealer said sure that truck will pull any thing.
There is some dealers out there that are good honest people it's just hard at times to find them. Forums will help by doing searches and learning all you can.

In any/all situation buyer beware!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

That depends on the lot owner. Some move beaters and some don't. The local Camping World RV sales for instance, do not keep local trade-ins, they move them to a nearby store.

Tumbleweed, I'd like to see a picture of that 40' Montana and Nissan. Just for grins, I once parked our 40' Grand Junction 5er in the driveway and backed my little Chevy Luv under the pin. A few people actually stopped in the road to look closer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

The larger dealers usually wholesale the rough units.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #5

I'm guessing that if it's an older unit and the dealer likes to keep newer models on his lot then yes he may wholesale it. If it's just a beater unit then whether he keeps old stuff or not he will probably wholesale it too. I've been a few RV lots and have seen some with all types of used RV's on them. Couple years ago I was browsing around a lot looking for a new TT and back off to the side were a couple TT's with huge delam issues. They looked to be 5+ yrs old. Not sure how they could ever sell them.
Interesting observation, the dealer we bought our last new TT from (NorthTrail) has now got out of the new RV business and is selling only newer used RV's. There must be some good money in the used RV business.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
How would the dealer wholesale a trailer? I've never seen an auction lot for trailers, anyone else? Maybe northern Indiana, I guess. Anyway seems like a lot of expense and travel risks to move a single trailer to an auction location and then the buying dealer has the same issues.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
This is correct. Most go to auction.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That depends on the lot owner. Some move beaters and some don't. The local Camping World RV sales for instance, do not keep local trade-ins, they move them to a nearby store.

Tumbleweed, I'd like to see a picture of that 40' Montana and Nissan. Just for grins, I once parked our 40' Grand Junction 5er in the driveway and backed my little Chevy Luv under the pin. A few people actually stopped in the road to look closer.
Ray I can't tell you how many times I wished I had took that picture.
And actually went over and talked to the guy. He probably had good load spring on his truck, air bags and a lot of faith.
Your truck like that would be a great picture.
Sorry I missed your post.

Tags
dealer, rvs