Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

Question Wondering about mileage on bearings

I posted elsewhere about a trip we are planning to drumheller, and I got to thinking, in the post I stated on this used 2004 245rk Wilderness lite we bought used in 2010 and have only used three times for I figure a total of 3000Km should I check bearings this year, they are EZ lube?

It was supposed to have be done according to the dealer on their PDI, and I will have to look for the paperwork they gave me showing the work the said was done.
But on my last trip in september last year to quesnel we had to stop in 100 Mile house to get tires for the utility trailer my brother was towing, and at that time the Kal-tire dealer asked if I had checked my bearings and I said not yet.
I had only been using my hand and infrared temp gun.
So he gave me a grease gun and I gave them a few shots of grease, but that is all I have done since owning.
So should I look at them this year?
Any input?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

well, working in a paper mill, with very large rolls, about 14,000 lbs each, constant oil lubrication, each bearing lasted about 28 years. as long as there is no rust or oxidation, you will probably be ok for a few years. Your tow vehicle has 2 bearings on each front wheel, how often do you service them?...like most people, not very often, usually when the brakes get done. I think you will be fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I pull mine apart every spring and hand pack the bearings, I don't trust the ez lube axles, although a lot of people swear by them. By pulling the hubs off every year, you can check the condition of the brakes, magnets and drums, this is also a good time to look at the springs and shackles for anything amiss. Also perfect time to adjust the brakes.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #4

Do not just pump a few shots without turning the wheels if you do, the grease goes directly against the inner seals.
That is what happens if ez-lube axles are improperly done. Its designed to pump grease through the bearings, and when bearings turn they pump grease themselves, but do not force the grease, go gently.
I lube mine when checking the brakes and replace the seals and locks or cutter pins. When manualy packing bearings the inner seals need to be removed, so ez-lube packs both bearings withot introducing dirt and pushes the old grease out. So a few shots is just trouble waiting to happen. Most problems to bearings happen after servicing and I try to do it the proper way and less often as possible.

I would definitely check them for brakes and seal damage and then trust it is OK. The light trailers are prone to bearing failures but if serviced properly will last a long time. I have seen to many peoople pump a few shots and go, absolutely a no no and asking for trouble.
Mine were not Serviced property at the dealer when new and seals faiiled me on first 500 miles. They had pumped grease through the seals. That was 4 years ago, I did the repairs myself. The warranty was worth nothing to me as I was stuck on the side of the road in the mountains with no trailer brakes.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, I will have to take a look at mine when weather gets better, would like to be able to lift up unit to do all at the same time.
I gather the dealer is not supposed to sell you a unit unless it meets some sort of saftey standards, but I gather it will be piece of mind if I take the time to pull it apart and check myself, I will have to find out what part number the seals are, I would prefer to have all parts handy as pulling bearings out will mean having to put in new seals at the same time.
I am wondering though, as I never had ez-lube before, do you do like I always did on cars, pack bearings then fill the hub.
Or do I then still pump grease in while spinning tires until I see it come out the hub?
and I guess unlike a car, you need to snug up bearings and not have the play in them?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman01 View Post
Thanks for the input, I will have to take a look at mine when weather gets better, would like to be able to lift up unit to do all at the same time.
I gather the dealer is not supposed to sell you a unit unless it meets some sort of saftey standards, but I gather it will be piece of mind if I take the time to pull it apart and check myself, I will have to find out what part number the seals are, I would prefer to have all parts handy as pulling bearings out will mean having to put in new seals at the same time.
I am wondering though, as I never had ez-lube before, do you do like I always did on cars, pack bearings then fill the hub.
Or do I then still pump grease in while spinning tires until I see it come out the hub?
and I guess unlike a car, you need to snug up bearings and not have the play in them?
When I do mine I pump slightly on the gun and allow the grease to be pumped by the bearing. If it gets hard you are pushing on the inner seal and must wait for the pressure to ease and proceed. The old grease can flow out around the outside of the axle for a bit. Then wipe and place the cover back on.?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #7

First of all do not mix types/brands of grease. They may be incompatable and really screw up your bearings. The best way is the experts way, try this site
Applying Lubricants Correctly

one of the best to learn from and they do make a pretty good product

Art.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

Dexter Axle states that bearings should be removed, cleaned, and inspected, annually or 12,000 miles whichever comes first. This applies to standard axles and EZ lube axles. This, for all practicality, means using a grease gun on the zerk fittings is a waste of time and grease.
As to longevity; it depends entirely upon your diligence to the above and how you use/tow the trailer. Spot turns with a tandem axle trailer can destroy wheel bearings rather quickly.. I've seen/had failed bearings with only a year or so on them, and I've seen/ had trailer wheel bearings that have been in use for 20 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #9

Well thanks for all the info, it looks like with my paltry 3000Km on mine I should be good for a bit yet, but!!! I do check temp of hub and tire with a hand and an infrared thermometer.
But I guess I know that it is best I should at least do them once myself and be familiar with condition of brakes and other components.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Properly lubricated wheel bearings on cars and trucks, up to an including semi trucks, often last the lesser of the life of the vehicle or hundreds of thousands of miles. Which is to day it is very rare to replace a wheel bearing if it is properly lubed.

In fact, in roughly 50 years of driving (Actually a bit more if I include farm tractors) I have replaced ONE set of wheel bearings.. I bought a trailer used, the prior owner let the bearing run dry. I have adjusted a few,, but even that is rare.. I have driven cars over 200,000 miles and never changed the factory bearing (Well, did one of those too but it was not just the bearing, Some idiot in a Cadillac slammed into my left front wheel, changed the whole thing. Investigating trooper is still trying to figure out how I kept the car wheels down.. But I did.).
Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #11

Hi

This comes from 50 years of experience with Autoís, trailers, trucks and aircraft that are allowed to sit for extended periods of time.

Wheel bearings on vehicles including trailers when properly lubricated, adjusted and used at least 4 or 5 hundred miles a month will commonly last about 150,000.miles.

A vehicle that sits for extended periods of time greatly shortens the life of the wheel bearings.

If your trailer is stored for several months because of your work or the weather then the wheel bearings should be removed cleaned and inspected before your travel season begins. This equates to an annual lubrication and inspection. When the wheels sit stationary for more than just a few weeks there is a possibility of the rollers damaging the race either from corrosion or in prolonged storage just from the constant weight sitting in one place will create an uneven surface that causes accelerated wear.

3665RE
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Hi

This comes from 50 years of experience with Auto’s, trailers, trucks and aircraft that are allowed to sit for extended periods of time.

Wheel bearings on vehicles including trailers when properly lubricated, adjusted and used at least 4 or 5 hundred miles a month will commonly last about 150,000.miles.

A vehicle that sits for extended periods of time greatly shortens the life of the wheel bearings.

If your trailer is stored for several months because of your work or the weather then the wheel bearings should be removed cleaned and inspected before your travel season begins. This equates to an annual lubrication and inspection. When the wheels sit stationary for more than just a few weeks there is a possibility of the rollers damaging the race either from corrosion or in prolonged storage just from the constant weight sitting in one place will create an uneven surface that causes accelerated wear.

3665RE
I keep the hubs full and never worry. Where the hub is full PG grease water will not go. But seals will fail and it should be noted. When doing brake inspections. Corrosion can happpen any time on the brake parts. Last unit everything lasted 10 years. One can judge the lining wear the amount of requirements for adjustment.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #13

caissiel, by your logic, Buddie Bearings and EZ Lubes are a waste of time and money and can cause bearing failure. If this is so, why are they still in business? I had them on my boat trailer and on some trips, would leave the trailer in the water all day. Never had a bearing failure on over 10 years of owning the boat. Per the instructions, I would pump marine grease in till the spring loaded inner disk would move ~1/8th inch away from the hub. If grease ever comes out of a seal, you are putting too much in or the seal went bad.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #14

Dunner

I agree with you. His post doesnít make sense.

With in the last year I recovered a friends trailer from the roadside by chaining the front axel to the frame so I could tow it to a safe place to repair it.

Buddy bearing equipped hub full of grease and a lot of metal. After cleaning the race the cone was destroyed I found the ridges caused by prolong sitting in on place without being moved. The owner advised me that the trailer had sat for a couple of years just before he retired. Removed the other three wheels and all had hubs full of grease and we replaced all bearings, one spindle and one hub.

This was a bearing failure of a bearing that had been fully lubricated but the irregular surface caused by long term storage caused accelerated wear.

If you store your trailer for extended periods of time you should remove the bearings, clean, inspect and repack them with proper grease before you travel.

You must also be careful of mixing different brands of grease some grease compounds donít react well with others.

3665RE