Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #15

Our Big Country by Hartland is very affordable without all the toys. And approved for FT. Do not skip on the double glass windows. They take care of all cold and hot camping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #16

Thank you for all the information you have given me. I have done a lot of research and with the help of several dealerships information I think I have found a unit. I am looking into the KZ StoneRidge 38FL with lots of extra's. Yes it does have the lippert frame but the design seems to be better. The dealers I have spoke with don't see these units back for big problems so that makes me feel good about my choice. I don't know a whole lot about KZ because I can't find much bad news about them. There is a lot of good news and happy campers..
I just was wondering if anyone if anyone has heard of these 5'ers and how they are after a few years of use. Or how they handle on a long trip? Maybe someone has a dealership that sells them where I could find a good deal.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #17

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by articcolds View Post
Thank you for all the information you have given me. I have done a lot of research and with the help of several dealerships information I think I have found a unit. I am looking into the KZ StoneRidge 38FL with lots of extra's. Yes it does have the lippert frame but the design seems to be better. The dealers I have spoke with don't see these units back for big problems so that makes me feel good about my choice. I don't know a whole lot about KZ because I can't find much bad news about them. There is a lot of good news and happy campers..
I just was wondering if anyone if anyone has heard of these 5'ers and how they are after a few years of use. Or how they handle on a long trip? Maybe someone has a dealership that sells them where I could find a good deal.
I don't think you will regret your decision. I cannot speak to how well the Stoneridge will age, but my 2005 Escalade is still in very nice shape. I reckon it will age as well as you maintain it.

As far as towing, my Escalade is heavier than the stoneridge line, but I find I can almost forgetit's back there... as much as you can forget a 45' 11 ton object attached to your vehicle... The point is, it is far from a chore to tow.

Lastly, I can highly recommend www.arrowrvs.com Talk to Don, the owner, and tell him Dave from Crystal River sent ya. Oh one other lastly; if you do buy from Don, give a shout when you are in the area, I'll buy ya a coffee or sumpthin.

Oh, and feel free to PM with any other questions.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailer6334 View Post
Andy,
As you are going to "Full Time" look at units designed to do that. If buying new many mfgrs will void the warranty if full timing. If buying used may not matter. A must is Polar package/4 season. Very important to stay warm. All the "Full Time" units can be purchased on the used market to save money. Just have to do a good inspection. here is my list of full time units.

Excel
Carriage
NuWa
Mobile Suites
HitchHiker
New Horizons
Lifestyle (new mfg no history yet)

The above are the high end well insulated, and you should consider a 1 ton TV either a SRW or dually depending on size/paylaod.

Next level is;
Montana
Triple E
Hartland (Bighorn or Landmark)
Cardinal

Arctic Fox could be considered also.

Good Luck and do a lot of research to find the desired unit.

Thanks for the list.. I have been looking at the Cardinal and the KZ StoneRidge not sure which one is better...
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave View Post
I don't know much about Arctic Fox, other than by reputation, which is stellar. I would think however, that if it is a small family business type thing, they might be flexible with floor plans. Can't hurt to call and ask. From what I understand Excel is very good about this as well.

Having said that, I have been almost 18 months full time in my KZ, and absolutely love it. If you aren't sold on buying a new rig, have a look at some pre-owned Escalades. I think you will be impressed with the quality of the materials and installation. Mine is solid as a rock. Also, after visiting the Tampa RV show last year, and meeting one of the factory rep's, I was left with a warm fuzzy regarding their attitude.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, I'll help out any way I can.
I have been looking at the Cardinal and the KZ Stone Ridge 5'ers. Do you know which maybe a better unit? Man there are so many and so much risk when your new at this.. Thanks Andy
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #20

Quote:
I have been looking at the Cardinal and the KZ Stone Ridge 5'ers. Do you know which maybe a better unit? Man there are so many and so much risk when your new at this.. Thanks Andy
Both are equals, is my thought. Check the frame size and axle and get the G614 tires. People have said that "FL" lack storage space and a couple of other negative comments.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave View Post
I don't think you will regret your decision. I cannot speak to how well the Stoneridge will age, but my 2005 Escalade is still in very nice shape. I reckon it will age as well as you maintain it.

As far as towing, my Escalade is heavier than the stoneridge line, but I find I can almost forgetit's back there... as much as you can forget a 45' 11 ton object attached to your vehicle... The point is, it is far from a chore to tow.

Lastly, I can highly recommend www.arrowrvs.com Talk to Don, the owner, and tell him Dave from Crystal River sent ya. Oh one other lastly; if you do buy from Don, give a shout when you are in the area, I'll buy ya a coffee or sumpthin.

Oh, and feel free to PM with any other questions.
Thanks I may do that when my adventures begin.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Some might not agree, but IMHO, I thought it best to get a roadside assistance policy from good sam since I didn't want to diy the hard stuff on the side of the road and also got a well researched extended warranty that covers most of the major systems...

again, just my humble opinion and against what I normally do with vehicles, but for MY peace of mind, I chose to do those two things....
good luck and good research - many just decide and jump in
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #23

Another thing to know is with a 9 year old on the road they may be concidered homeless by the government. That can sometimes be a pain or helpful if you need aid. might want to edcauate yourself on the various laws
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
What ?!?!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #25

Landmark has a 2 year warranty now too.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #26

Is that the heartland landmark edition? I see that the KZ has 2 year and a 5 year though.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Is that the heartland landmark edition? I see that the KZ has 2 year and a 5 year though.
What u have been looking at and the Landmark are in two completely different price ranges! Those Landmark 5'vers are in the 100,000.00 range!
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #28

I have found the landmark editions for under 100,000.00 new from dealers.