RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Zep Floor Shine may have ruined the exterior of my Grand Design

I think I made a huge mistake. About a year ago I had taken some advice from a friend to use Zep Floor shine on the side of my RV instead of taking it to a dealer and having it waxed for $700. My 2014 Grand Design has sat outside it entire life in the Southern Utah heat and kinda started to dull. So a friend told me how to apply Zep to the side to renew it back to new. I did the entire deal. Good wash, bar keepers scrub and the whole shebang. I have to admit it revitalized my trailer and made it shine for about 14-18 months or so but I havenít been able to use it for 6 months or so and was looking at it the other day and noticed it looked like the side facing the sun the polish was dried up and flaking off.

Attachment 238411

I panicked until I watched a video on YouTube with a guy using Zep Floor Stripper to remove it all. Now keep in mind only the side facing the sun and my front cap looked horrible. And even the side facing the sun where all the framing in the trailer is it still looks perfect. Thinking this may be because those parts didnít get as hot or something but you can see where every wood stud is in the side of my trailer now. Anyways i decided since I was going to strip one side Iíd strip the entire trailer. It took me about 5 hours with a scrub brush and Zep Floor polisher to try and remove the Zep Floor shine. But now it looks even worse. I have streak marks down my trailer everywhere. Yellow marks also. I went back and tried to remove the streaks down the trailer and nothing. It looks horrible. I feel like Iíve ruined my trailer. Iím tempted to try a small section and reapply the zep and see if it brings back the original shine it had a few years back when i originally put the Zep on. I figure at this point I have nothing to lose.

Any ideas of what I can do? And for anyone considering doing this to their trailer I would say 100% donít do it. Do it right and use wax or something made for fiberglass trailers.

Attachment 238412

Attachment 238413

2006 Rampage 370 Toyhauler
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry to hear about your issue.

I would recommend finding a car detailer who has experience doing motorhomes. They know how to remove the old coating without hurting your clear coat. We have one near us who works for a lot of the RV repair shops in the area and only charged around $600 for a full clean and wax. We offered him cash, and he did it for $500. As I recall, our dealer wanted about $700, also.

I hope you can get that stuff off and a good coat of wax on.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your pictures don't show up. There is a stripper that will take the Zep off but it may also ruin the graphics. You could try applying a very small area with another coat of Zep to see if it helps take away the streaking. I would definitely do a test area before applying a full coat though as it will be even harder to remove.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Do these pics work?

Old 03-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Pics showed up.....have your friend come over and deal with it....
Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

I know, there are plenty who swear by the stuff but I cannot wrap my head around putting floor polish on anything but a floor. It is an INDOOR product. No UV inhibitors. Nothing to stand up to the rigours of being outside.

There must be something to strip the stuff off. I am thinking along the lines of ammonia, acetone, laquer thinners, naptha? Try a small area first. Ammonia seems to be the first choice.

Once the zep is gone start again, this time with a mild marine compound to get any residue off. Finish it with a good marine wax or sealant.

There is no easy way. Zep seemed to be an easy way. There is short term gratification, then you pay the price.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Pics showed up.....have your friend come over and deal with it....

Haha. Crazy thing is his still looks great but he recoata his about every 3 months religiously. I put mine on and never reapplied anything. All I ever did was wash it. But now Iím paying the price. I wonder if Iíd have kept up in it like he did if Iíd be having these issues. Like I mentioned the side that doesnít face the sun looke perfect until I put the Zep Stripper on it. Now it looks as bad as the sun side.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Craig36. Take it to a professional and at least get their opinion on what is needed to restore it. Hopefully your efforts have not cut through the clear coat.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I agree with Craig36. Take it to a professional and at least get their opinion on what is needed to restore it. Hopefully your efforts have not cut through the clear coat.

Ya. Wonder if it has how youíd fix it if the clear coat is ruined.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:06 PM   #10

I had the same problem with my zep wax on my coach after 3 years. I tried just about everything to get it off. With no success. Then I found a you tube video on removing old zep floor wax from your rv.
You put zep floor stripper in a spray bottle. Full strength. You spray the stripper onto about 2 ft square working area. Let it sit for a few seconds then rub with a moist cloth in a circle motion. You will see the wax come off. It’s comes off as a yellowish stuff. If you put 4 coats of zep floor wax it will take probably 4 Coates of stripper to remove. You will see it work when the stripper runs down onto the old wax. Then rinse with water. Keep stripping until you see the original Finnish.
Your side of your trailer is not ruined with zep floor wax. The zep floor wax stripper is the only thing that removes it. The secret is to let the stripper work then you just wipe it off. Spray down with water.
I had thought the same thing as you but once you figure out how to use the stripper it’s easy. It was so easy I used the zep floor wax again. It brings back the luster of the old decals and paint. We stay on the desert in southern Arizona for 4 months every year. I get about 3 years then have to strip and recoat with zep wax. Best wax for fibreglass. Don’t have to wax on every year. Good luck
cmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #11

Have a look on the bottle of that stripper. Take a good sniff maybe. Chances are that the active ingredient is a common substance that can be had much cheaper than the brand name product.

As long as I am able I'll be damned if I am going to pay some absurd price for a simple job that I can do myself. Why pay a professional price to do donkey work? Most jobs are simple when broken down into their components.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
After 3 yrs. , the Zep wax looks terrible on our MH. I have been using LA Awesome with a worn out scrubby pad and you can see the yellow finish run down the wall. Very labor intensive. I wish I had never applied the Zep.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

I did a few test spots over the areas that look horrible on my Rv right now. Brings back the shine to looking new. But trying to decide if this is something I want to deal with every few years or not. But those areas I did sure look good.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #14

Try some products like Griot Garage - Paint Prep
Also Chemical Guys - Wipe Out

I would not try any of the floor wax removers or any other harsh product like acetone, etc, that has been mentioned.

You may have to go around a couple times with the products but they are made to remove automotive waxes and glazes, to prep your paint for a new wax coat. but before you go and do the whole thing with such a cleaner, try a little spot to see what kind of reaction (if any) you get to the floor wax.

Good luck, I hope you get it looking spiffy soon.

Tags
floor