Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #15
Nor'easters Club
Yeah. We've decided to start looking for a truck. Been towing for years with a half. Every time we look at trailers it's "Well, we might be able to tow it, but we'd have to leave all our food and clothes at home." or something along those lines. We'll skip the 3/4, but haven't decided SRW or DRW yet. Just don't want our truck to be the limiting factor any more.

Steve & Bunny
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2005, 08:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve & Bunny:
Yeah. We've decided to start looking for a truck. Been towing for years with a half. Every time we look at trailers it's "Well, we might be able to tow it, but we'd have to leave all our food and clothes at home." or something along those lines. We'll skip the 3/4, but haven't decided SRW or DRW yet. Just don't want our truck to be the limiting factor any more.

Then you should go withthe dually. It really is not any more difficult to drive around and you really open the number of 5ers you can safely tow. Not to mention the dually is much more stable when towing.

John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #17
Yes, get a dually. We just changed from a 3/4 ton extended cab Ford to a 4 door dually (both long beds). Before getting it, Nancy commented that it would be too big and she would not want to drive it. Since we got it I cant keep her out of it. She drives it everywhere, even to the extent she let the battery run down in the Jeep Cherokee (daily driver) for lack of use. She forced herself to drive the Cherokee today with a frown on her face. I guess maybe we need two duallies
Robert & Nancy with "Murphy the EOG"
Murphy has passed on, but Micah and Bogie have assumed the watch! 02 Holiday Rambler 5ver, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage. 98 Coachmen truck camper.
Two Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #18
We started towing with a 3/4 ton gas LB Crew Cab Chev, then improved to a 3/4 diesel Dodge crew cab, long bed, then went to a 1 ton DRW Dodge LB Cummins, and could not be happier. Towing the same TT with the 1 ton DRW beats the 3/4 ton SRW by leaps and bounds. Greatly improved handling, better brakes, etc., all make for a pleasant experience. DW loves to pull now, she was not too keen on it when we had the SRW units. Of course, the reason for the 1 Ton was to allow for growth into a new 5'er in the not too distant future. All of that being said, I would not ride around town in the 1 ton unit if I have a choice, it is sprung way too harsh for empty driving. Our daily driver is a Toyota Prius...49 MPG.
Bob and Kathleen Hartman

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 AM   #19
The drawbacks of a 1ton dually do include harsh ride, where you can park, milage when not towing will be worse than the smaller 1/2 ton. None of that will matter if you buy too little truck and have a white knuckle experience every tow. I found going from a half ton to 3/4ton hd diesel (chev which is really a 1ton w/o the higher load rated tires)made a world of difference to the towing experience with the same "small" 6500lb loaded 5th wheel. Getting over the mountains, up to speed in traffic and more importantly braking the load in traffic/grades is a world safer with the bigger truck. Its a feeling of being in total control vs easily out of control. Vets call it the load driving the rig...very scary experience. Get more truck than you need ...you'll NEVER regret it.
97 Okanagan 22ft 5er

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #20
For those complaining about harsh ride in a 1ton dually, are you running max preassure in the tires? If so why? On our dually , 45lbs. will carry more than the rear axle is rated for and the ride is very good. I am running 55lbs. to give more stability with the camper and the ride is still very good. Before the dually we had a 91 Dodge CTD 3/4ton. it rode so rough that I spent $1500 for a Kelderman system. It helped a lot but not even close to the dually. I was running 65 lbs (not the 80 max) on the 91.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #21
Over 15 yrs I used 2 diff. 1/2ton trucks and 3 diff. lite 5th wheels (biggest was 27ft, 6550 lbs GVWR) and never had a white knuckle experience. Others are right the big issue is pin weight with a fiver, but you are much less likely to experience white knuckle towing than with a TT. That's the trade-off between fiver and TT.

Regarding the difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton towing, I disagree that there is a big difference IF both are towing at an equal percentage of their GCWR. At full GCWR, a 3/4 ton will be towing a trailer significantly heavier than the TV, but with a 1/2 ton the trailer weight will be almost equal to the TV weight. Mileage isn't that different either, solo mileage with a 3/4 ton diesel is the only improvement, but a big block won't be better than a small block V8 solo. My old GM 5.3L averaged over 11 mpg towing a combined weight of over 12k lbs (GCWR of 13k) and that is about what I now get with a diesel with a combined weight of 17k lbs (far below the 22k GCWR). Right now, I do have an easier tow with plenty of power, but that is because I am so far under the GCWR. If I moved to a heavier unit I'd either be looking for a bigger TV or having the same towing experience as with the 1/2 ton. It all depends on how much weight you need to pull for your camping experience.
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'11 Crossroads Cruiser 32MK loaded
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #22
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliez:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For a few hundred bucks more you can get a 1 ton SRW pickup </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Gravy! Where do you shop? Is it a broke down1 ton? Try a few THOUSAND bucks more.

Back to the subjuect, You'll get better fuel economy with a 3/4 deisel that a 1/2 gas. It'll help you in the long run, because your not going to be pulling every day.

There are alot more advantages about deisel. At 150K miles, your gas is going to be wore out, and the deisel will be just broke in. And this list wil go on and on for days.

Plain and simple, if there's any way you can go 3/4 deisel, do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The truth is, if the gas engined truck is "wore out" at 150,000 miles, it is probably because it has been used hard and maintained carelessly. Do the same thing with a diesel engine truck and you will get the same or worse result. I just sold a 1994 35 foot P-chassis motorhome with 61,000 miles on the original 454 engine that ran perfectly, didn't use any oil and averaged 8.2 mpg over all of those miles (most towing a dinghy).

The last Duramax equipped company truck I drove (I am retired from GM) averaged 16.4 mpg in normal mixed driving. My 2005 8.1L gas truck, which isn't close to being broken in yet, is averaging about 12 mpg in the same type of driving. So far I have gotten from 8 to 10 mpg towing depending on speed. Diesel is currently running about $0.30 a gallon more expensive than 87 octane around here. The Duramax option is on the plus side of five grand.

The math wasn't hard. And I have a thing for smooth, quiet engines.
Alan King

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #23

I'm in a bit late and my comments are mostly FYI.

Last fall I was in the market for a 1/2T turck. When I started comparing prices and load capacities. I discovered that a 1/2T HD truck wasn't much more $$ than the plain 1/2T. Then I happened onto a 3/4 T that was the same price as the 1/2T HD. Well, no brainer here...drop the 1/2T and focus on 3/4T. Started jawin' with a salesman when he showed me a 3/4T HD for less $$ than the 1/2T regular duty. Case closed.

I have a tow capacity of 10,000 lbs, payload of 3700+ lbs. Not too bad, considering I spent less $$ than a 1/2T. Before you think the truck is a stripped version, about the only options I don't have are OnStar and XM radio.

The reason behind all this strangness is the 1/2T regular duty trucks have a much higher demand in the market than a 3/4T HD.

Lesson: Shop the 3/4T HD trucks. You may be surprised.
I'm the lucky one, my wife married an idiot.
knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #24
We currently tow with a 99 Chevy Tahoe 1/2T. We do OK, even going through the mountain passes here in the Pacific Northwest. Hubby keeps the speed at 55 and we get about 10mpg, and cuss out those who fly by in their 3/4T & 1T's. We are looking into a 3/4T later on though. My Tahoe has told me when it grows up it wants to be a 3/4T Chevy Avalanche. If you haven't got the truck, or the trailer, listen to these guys! They know what they're talking about! We had the Tahoe first, so we went with what it allowed, and we're really happy with our TT so far.
Good luck in your search and have fun!

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote