Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I wonder if there is a way to script a button in the web interface to automatically type "You need a F450 dually" as the default answer?

Sure would save a lot of time...

And not a V10 either!
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Just get a Tundra... it towed the space shuttle after all.. should be fine with a 44' toyhauler even.
Don't knock my "rice burner" OPP's my mistake...there made in Texas now....My Tundra got me to & from Alaska this past summer (14k miles)

The only thing I would change are the 20" lower profile tires. My next tire change I'll research a more lugged tire. Sure wish Toyota would come out with a diesel. If it could bump the towing cap. from the 9900 lb. now to the 12,000 range, I would be one happy camper.

Talking about about F-250's pulling 44' triple axle toy haulers. I have seen plenty of that out west and throughout Alaska and Canada. I don't know what those things weigh, but that is a whole lot of trailer to deal with.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1/2 ton and 5th wheel "does not compute"!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #32

Since we are being sarcastic..... No problem here

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 5.29.30 PM.png
Views:	236
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	148720
Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have towed several trailers including 2 5th wheels over the years. I would never attempt to tow a 5 wheel with 1/2 t truck. The pin weigh alone will exceed the truck payload. You are going to put yourself and others on the road at risk. Also if you would have a serious accident involving a large settlement most likely your insurance company will evaluate your towing equipment. They will determine you were illegally towing beyond the manufacture recommendation and will deny your claim. Get at a minimum a 3/4 ton will the manufacture options making it capable to handle the weight.
As a finial note. Do not trust the trailer manufacture to provide you accurate weigh. Typically if a manufacture post their trailer weights it is a stripped down unit, Once you start adding options the weigh goes up. If you buy a unit off the lot the actual weigh should be posted on a label attached to the unit. But even that is not necessarily accurate. I took a unit off the lot and took it to a CAT truck scale and weighed it. I was approximately a 1000 lbs heavier.

Be safe. Be smart.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #34

Wow! Had no idea that a question about pulling with a 1/2 ton truck would spark such controversy. Clearly people have strong opinions about this topic.

The responses have been helpful. Based on some of the responses and the research I've done, I have concluded that trying to pull a fifth wheel with my F150 would be a mistake.

I have some updated numbers to work from that are more accurate than those I noted when initially asking my question. Also based on more research, I have decided that the Grand Design Imagine 2800bh is the trailer I will purchase.

My F150 Truck: 11,500 Max tow, 7000 GVWR, 3800 gawr, 1765 payload (door sticker)

Trailer: 7,495 GVWR (5,685 dry)

My Family: 600 (including dog), stuff in truck 100 lbs

My conclusions: Hitch weight = 13% of trailer GVWR = 975

Tow capacity: check, payload: check, margin for error = enough to make me comfortable

I plan to get the deal done this weekend. I'll let folks know how it goes when I get the trailer in April.

Thanks everyone!
Kevin12
Kevin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12 View Post
Wow! Had no idea that a question about pulling with a 1/2 ton truck would spark such controversy. Clearly people have strong opinions about this topic.

The responses have been helpful. Based on some of the responses and the research I've done, I have concluded that trying to pull a fifth wheel with my F150 would be a mistake.

I have some updated numbers to work from that are more accurate than those I noted when initially asking my question. Also based on more research, I have decided that the Grand Design Imagine 2800bh is the trailer I will purchase.

My F150 Truck: 11,500 Max tow, 7000 GVWR, 3800 gawr, 1765 payload (door sticker)

Tow capacity: check, payload: check, margin for error = enough to make me comfortable

I plan to get the deal done this weekend. I'll let folks know how it goes when I get the trailer in April.

Thanks everyone!
Kevin12
K, Glad to see you are staying with the GD TT. Wife and I decided that will be our choice also. We also toyed with idea of a light 5th but they just come out to be too heavy. Our PU is 2016 Ram 5.7 hemi 3.21 rear that gives a 8000 max tow. 3.92 would have gave us 10k. Our research shows fewer complaints on quality and dependability with the GD. Our 2nd choice would be WB Plus. WB now owns GD. Unlike all these pro campers I have never towed or owned a TT of any kind. My exp is from 40 years of driving and owning semi's. My only exp with rv drivers is passing them as quick as possible...white knuckle amatuers scare me. Your approach to your research is excellent. I am retired and wife is 1 to 2 yrs out. I only plan to buy TT at our age so it will be a GD or WB. Good luck when you get yours and be safe.
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
/-----/
As a finial note. Do not trust the trailer manufacture to provide you accurate weigh. Typically if a manufacture post their trailer weights it is a stripped down unit, Once you start adding options the weigh goes up. If you buy a unit off the lot the actual weigh should be posted on a label attached to the unit. But even that is not necessarily accurate. I took a unit off the lot and took it to a CAT truck scale and weighed it. I was approximately a 1000 lbs heavier.

Be safe. Be smart.
Boy, this is the truth.

Only sticker on my old 5er I could find listed the dry weight as 5600lbs.

I ran it over some scales when I finally got a chance and with dry tanks and no bike inside it weighs 8500lbs!

A bit of difference there...
Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #37

yeah

ok enough said lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_130508.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	155493  
barr0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr0208 View Post
ok enough said lol
Yikes, how much over the RAWR are you?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw View Post
Kevin12, I haven't seen those until you mentioned it. I think I will have to look into those. I have a half ton as well and really don't want to trade for only towing 1 or 2 times a month. We had looked at the Winniebago 27BHSS but the weight concerns me.
Look at both trailers they are almost identical. Grand Design was getting frames and other items from Winnebago.I read yesterday that Winnebago had purchased GD. I'm curious whether or not WINNIE will maintain the same out the door quality control? As for the two specific trailers that we mentioned they are both on my shirt list, somehow Grand Design has managed to shave 700 pounds off the weight of the Winnebago. Lance is also another one on my short list primarily because of the high quality but I would really like more space than they offer.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Okay, let's start over.

Your limiter is the payload capacity of your F-150. So assuming you don't want to be overloaded, here's the drill:

1] Load the pickup with family and everything else that will be in it when towing. Tools, pets, toys, jacks and jack stands, campfire wood, everything.

2] Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the wet and loaded pickup, including you and the family and everything else that will be in it when towing.

3] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded pickup from the GVWR of the pickup. The answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight without being overloaded.

4] Subtract 100 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight, and the answer is the payload capacity available for tongue weight. That 100 pounds is for the weight of a good weight-distributing hitch, such as the Blue Ox, Equal-I-Zer or Reese Strait-Line.

5] Divide the payload capacity available for tongue weight by 0.13 (13%) and the answer is the heaviest travel trailer you can tow without exceeding the GVWR and payload capacity of your F-150.

I suspect you'll find that in order to tow a 6k TT with your F-150 without being overloaded, you'll need to limit the weight in the truck to people only. Tools, pets, toys, jacks and jack stands, campfire wood, and anything else that weighs more than a handkerchief will probably have to be loaded in the trailer. But don't overload the trailer over the combined GAWR of the two trailer axles.
Absolutely correct that the TV give will be hit long before you approach any of the other limitations.

Simple answer is put all your **** in the trailer and you can tow the Grand Design and be thousands under all your tow ratings which include, trailer gvwr and gcvw. The areas that will be right up near limits will be the TV an tongue.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12 View Post

Thanks everyone!
Kevin12
Great choice, I like the Winnie Minnie Plus a little better but they are basically the exact same trailer, and the GD is 700 lbs lighter. I can pull either within safety limits but also considering the smaller Lance because of its high quality and light weight. Please post back, I'll be very interested in in your impressions of that trailer and also how it goes.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #42

Please forum Gods give us a way to edit our post and correct our phones.

Tags
5th wheel