Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Last trip I made to Florida, I was hauling a pump on the way down. It was too tall to ride on my flatbed, or even a company step deck, so we loaded it on a tri-axle RGN. Somebody posted they needed a Cat 963 track loader moved to the St Louis area. Now that loader weighs about 43000 IIRC, light enough that with some planks to protect the ramps and deck, I could haul it on a step deck with no issues but the heavy duty tri-axle trailer my MT weight was about 42, so we had to by a permit, for each state. Give the state the VIN, they can see my GVWR, and my GCVWR is 80,000, I am a commercial operator, and my registration weight limit is well over the 8,000 lbs. If they are enforcing the rating, how can they sell me a permit to run 10000 over the GCVWR? The fact is most trucks pulling trailers are over the GVWR of the truck.
Now another load I took to Florida, pink granite chips, if I would of got caught, they would of not worried about my ratings, but 4-6000 over on each of 4 axles, and 20,000 over legal gross might of got them excited.

Before, you where talking 35,000 payload. Quite a bit more than a 30,000 LB gross trailer weight. And if the base model truck is rated for that weight of trailer the fancy crew cab will be over gross, but grossly overloaded? Most of the hotshots run across state lines, have DOT numbers. If one of the hands running 8,000 plates pulled onto a Mo scale with a 9,000LB truck pulling a 30000 lb trailer his fine would be $3135.00 plus court cost.
Once again, I believe you misunderstand what I am saying. I will attempt to clarify.

I have NEVER mentioned a 35k PAYLOAD. That is a one ton PICKUP TOW RATING.

We are discussing PICKUP TRUCK HOTSHOT HAULERS here. Not professional motor carriers such as yourself, and certainly NOT ALL HOTSHOTS.

You can pay for an overweight permit in commercial trucking-but you CANNOT EXCEED THE RATINGS OF YOUR AXLES, TIRES OR VEHICLES-WITH ONE NOTABLE EXCEPTION: VEHICLES REGISTERED UNDER 8000 LBS ARE EXEMPT, AND AS SUCH CAN CROSS SCALES WITH 10,000 LBS ON AN AXLE RATED FOR 8000 LBS AND THE STATE IS POWERLESS TO CITE THEM.

In Florida, a pickup with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs can legally be registered at NET weight of 7,999 lbs. There is no penalty for being over your registered weight on a one ton pickup. Period.

I hope I have clarified this matter as your replies have had little relation to my statements.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post

You can pay for an overweight permit in commercial trucking-but you CANNOT EXCEED THE RATINGS OF YOUR AXLES, TIRES
When the permit is issued the state has no idea what tires or axles I have. When I get to the scale, they will count the axles, but do not concern themselves with the rating on the axle. If running odd tires, they might check the rating on them. Some loads, some places, some permits, they will check the spacing of axles (I have had that happen most often with non-permit loads)

Quote:
OR VEHICLES-WITH ONE NOTABLE EXCEPTION: VEHICLES REGISTERED UNDER 8000 LBS ARE EXEMPT, AND AS SUCH CAN CROSS SCALES WITH 10,000 LBS ON AN AXLE RATED FOR 8000 LBS AND THE STATE IS POWERLESS TO CITE THEM.

In Florida, a pickup with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs can legally be registered at NET weight of 7,999 lbs. There is no penalty for being over your registered weight on a one ton pickup. Period.
Well, if what you say is true, I still doubt that would be a reason for a large number of one ton pickups to haul cars. 1 you need a large number of customers to haul need a large number of cars. And 2, most of the car haulers I have seen have DOT numbers, run more than 1 state. And most, if not all states judge your registered weight, the weight you pay taxes on, as your maximum legal weight.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
When the permit is issued the state has no idea what tires or axles I have. When I get to the scale, they will count the axles, but do not concern themselves with the rating on the axle. If running odd tires, they might check the rating on them. Some loads, some places, some permits, they will check the spacing of axles (I have had that happen most often with non-permit loads)

Well, if what you say is true, I still doubt that would be a reason for a large number of one ton pickups to haul cars. 1 you need a large number of customers to haul need a large number of cars. And 2, most of the car haulers I have seen have DOT numbers, run more than 1 state. And most, if not all states judge your registered weight, the weight you pay taxes on, as your maximum legal weight.
If you ask any DOT officer about overweight fines, they'll tell you it's all about

$afety.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #60

If the haul 2 cars plus there under DOT Regs. I haul 1 in enclosed and open trailer and have no trouble out of DOT. Go from dealer to new owner.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Gator View Post
If the haul 2 cars plus there under DOT Regs. I haul 1 in enclosed and open trailer and have no trouble out of DOT. Go from dealer to new owner.
I tried to explain the reason the OP sees what he sees here in Florida. It seemed the more I explained how it works in our state the more confused some people got.

Here in Florida, most all new car dealers wholesale trades over 5 years old or over 90,000 miles. That a lot of small (2 or 3 cars) transports in-state for hotshots. Yes they are DOT numbered and yes they have class A CDLs. But here’s the loophole in Florida:

You register a one-ton dually for 7,999 lbs at the DMV. That’s called a “net weight registration” and that is exactly how my 10,000 lb GVWR one ton is registered. No need to register any higher as there is zero penalty for being over your registered weight. Private or commercial. That’s the law here in Florida. Now this takes us to the crux of the loophole.

Commercial vehicles CANNOT present at a weigh station scaling over the vehicles GVWR- UNLESS THEY ARE REGISTERED UNDER 8000 LBS. If registered under 8000 lbs they are EXEMPT and can be well over the GVWR as long as they do not exceed the DOT axle limits, which are 20,000 lbs per axle. This keeps the State Troopers shaking their heads and is also why we see Ram quad cab 3500s towing goosenecks with 21,000 pounds or more of vehicles on a trailer that easily weighs well over 10,000 lbs. they are not leaving the state, so they could care less what anyone else thinks.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 AM   #62

I have been paying more attention to these HotShot trucks here in Florida. Fact - I see them all the time running on I95 here in north Florida. I saw two coming out of weigh station yesterday so they do get weighed. Each had 3 cars.

I am seeing what I think is a 50/50 mix of Fords and Rams. Very few to zero Chevys.
Probably the 2020 GM trucks will change that. Oh, I saw a Hotshot 5500 Ram about 4 days ago.

I also saw two empty trailers back to back like they were together. Actually, I see pairs of these trucks more often than not.

From what I got from this thread is these trucks are all over the country. Not just in Florida. The job must pay ok for so many of these trucks to be on the road.

It will be interesting if I can see any 2020 gas trucks doing this. Right now I would say they are all diesel Hotshot trucks. With all three 2020 trucks saying they can tow 35,000 plus pounds I expect the car moving business to 'keep on trucking'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #63

Yes sir they are indeed everywhere. But since you are local to me I know you notice in Florida they are generally well optioned crew cabs-none of which are rated much over 24,000 lb towing. And more importantly, none of them have over 6000 lbs of payload. In other states you will definitely see more reasonably loaded rigs.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #64

I watched a few YouTube videos of HotShot trucking. There is a lot of red tape and hoops you got to jump thru. Lots of expensives and taxes need paid to each state you drive thru. Lots of licences too. The $$$ starts off big like $4,500/week but ends up a decent $1,500/week after expensives.

Even Fast Lane Trucks rode with a HotShot driver and asked questions. These are the guys that beat up trucks. This guy had a 2012 Ford F-450 that had multiple differential failures. No engine issues after a few 100 thousand miles. I think 300,000 miles. He rated the 2012 F-450 with a 'B'.

So, if you want to know the best built truck these guys would know as they haul heavy loads all over the country. One example was Oregon to Pennsylvania. One guy hauled a car to Arizona for a baseball player for spring training.

Saw cars being loaded with a big fork lift. And they do make 4 car hauler open trailers but one guy said you can make as much $$$ with a two car enclosed trailer. I will pay attention and look for dually trucks pulling enclosed trailers. I am sure I have seen a few.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #65

Around here they are 70% dodge 28% Ford and 2% Chevy.

And only one or two years old. They run them for a specific mileage and then dump them.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I sold my 2010 Ram dually to one of those guys. He put lots of miles on his trucks and replaced them regularly with "new" used ones.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:46 AM   #67

Paying attention, I saw two dually trucks pulling non-discript long enclose trailers. Both these trucks were Fords. Saw a MDT towing 6 cars on his 6 car hauler trailer. That was a 1st. Did not see the truck manufacturer.

I guess I never knew moving cars was that big of a business, especially since cars can be driven from point A to point B. Again, I realize there is some business moving cars but not as much as there seems to be.

In Florida, I know snowbirds that have cars shipped both directions from north to south in the fall and south to north in the spring.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Paying attention, I saw two dually trucks pulling non-discript long enclose trailers. Both these trucks were Fords. Saw a MDT towing 6 cars on his 6 car hauler trailer. That was a 1st. Did not see the truck manufacturer.

I guess I never knew moving cars was that big of a business, especially since cars can be driven from point A to point B. Again, I realize there is some business moving cars but not as much as there seems to be.

In Florida, I know snowbirds that have cars shipped both directions from north to south in the fall and south to north in the spring.
I saw a Ram 3500 with Florida tags pulling a double deck carrier with 5 pickup trucks on it in Georgia yesterday. (Southbound)

I was driving and couldn't get a picture...

I was doing the math though, 25k of payload, plus the trailer...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #69

I have seen one pick-up in the 3 or 4 car mix but never more than one. Seeing 5 on the same trailer is something. Being towed with a 3500 Ram...cool. 5 trucks got to weigh 27,000 lbs. plus a 10,000lb trailer (guessing) has to max out any dually truck.

I am now thinking trucks are being marketed to these hot shot car movers. The normal RV person is not going to need a truck that can haul 35,000lbs but a hot shot trucker will.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have seen one pick-up in the 3 or 4 car mix but never more than one. Seeing 5 on the same trailer is something. Being towed with a 3500 Ram...cool. 5 trucks got to weigh 27,000 lbs. plus a 10,000lb trailer (guessing) has to max out any dually truck.

I am now thinking trucks are being marketed to these hot shot car movers. The normal RV person is not going to need a truck that can haul 35,000lbs but a hot shot trucker will.
Theyre aimed at the person who legitimately should be in a medium duty but doesnt want to deal with the expense. Theyre trying to get on the road and making money for as little money as possible.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer