RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #1

1 ton dually trucks towing gooseneck multi car hauler trailers.

Are you guys seeing these 'Hot Shot' type truckers towing 3 and 4 car hauler trailers in your area?

I see them all the time in my area. That area is between Jacksonville Florida and Daytona Florida. I must see 2 or more a day it seems like. Most of the time they are hauling 3 cars but I have seen a few hauling 4 cars. 4 cars would weigh 14,000 lbs and the trailer probably 8,000lbs or more....

All that weight is around 22,000 to 24,000 lbs. I would guess.

I wonder why I have never seen this 15 years ago and not see it all the time?

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Duallies are alot more powerful today than ever before, with computers and turbos and coolers and better injectors and rails and pumps and the like. So yeah, their capacities have gone way up. Look at the triple axel fifth wheels out there. There was nothing short of a semi that could pull that stuff a few decades age. We have diesel 1/2 tons getting 20+ mpg. Life is good in America.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

I have a friend that hauls 3 at a time, started about '93. Last time I looked at his truck, he had replaced the back seat with a bed. Class A CDL, log book, (E-logs now). Hauls cars auction to auction.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #4

AS with all vehicles things change

2017 2500 has same ratings/capabilities as my 2007 3500

More HP....more Torque.....Higher Tow Ratings....More gears in Transmissions....etc etc

3500 DRWs have 30K tow capacities
3500 DRWs have higher 'payload' capacities then 4500s
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #5

[ATTACH]
Not a problem for this truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	239126  
Old 03-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

Many years ago a retail outlet needed a larger warehouse to keep supplied with goods. Then came regional distribution centers. Those were all supplied with full truck loads of goods. Massive inventory was needed and along with it massive taxes on inventories. The taxes drove distribution centers to down size leading to more frequent deliveries of smaller loads. The LTL freight system was born. "Less Than Trailer Load" was efficient and off set the cost of huge taxes on inventory. LTL freight has further specialized into "HOTSHOT" delivery for more localized goods. The truck you see are hotshots moving small loads with more efficient and less expensive trucks. Many warehouses have transformed into transfer stations. They are just loading docks back to back with no storage space.

Look up "Just in time inventory" It is a strategy we all live under now and has revolutionized the entire economy.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

So you guys are seeing these trucks about everyday? I am thinking this is happening all over the country but do not know for sure.

I saw 2 trucks today towing 3 cars each.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Many years ago a retail outlet needed a larger warehouse to keep supplied with goods. Then came regional distribution centers. Those were all supplied with full truck loads of goods. Massive inventory was needed and along with it massive taxes on inventories. The taxes drove distribution centers to down size leading to more frequent deliveries of smaller loads. The LTL freight system was born. "Less Than Trailer Load" was efficient and off set the cost of huge taxes on inventory. LTL freight has further specialized into "HOTSHOT" delivery for more localized goods. The truck you see are hotshots moving small loads with more efficient and less expensive trucks. Many warehouses have transformed into transfer stations. They are just loading docks back to back with no storage space.

Look up "Just in time inventory" It is a strategy we all live under now and has revolutionized the entire economy.
You might be right, but I have looked at things and may have a slightly different view.
Up until the mid '60s a very small percentage of trucks went over a couple hundred miles from home, and most all loads fairly light. Most raw materials, and manufactured goods moved by rail. (Traveling? Hungry? Look for where the trucks stop. About the only working people that could chose to eat anyplace other than near their workplace.) Goods moved by truck to where could be loaded on train, often rail sidings ran right to the factories. Sometime in the '60s it was taking to long for the goods to move, to much time waiting for train, the percentage of trucks with sleepers increased, trailers got bigger, hauls got longer. And regulated carriers, slip-seat operations running scheduled terminal to terminal where moving most of the LTL freight. When it was time for the truck to go, it went trailer full, half or MT. The shippers that had a small amount to ship, had a smaller truck pick up and deliver to the terminal. Now there where loads moved like what we call "Hot Shot" now. Billed as Exclusive Use of trailer, pick up and deliver less than truck load, but pay at the same rate as full trailer. (I once hauled a load of swinging from Wichita to Detroit. Picked up 3 2X2X2 boxes, weight less than 600lbs to Emporia paid the same.) Then rates and routes where deregulated.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
So you guys are seeing these trucks about everyday? I am thinking this is happening all over the country but do not know for sure.

I'm not in FL, I'm in NC and not too far from a CoPart auction house. When I'm on the interstate near there going and coming I pass them constantly, some 3 some 4, and even some 5 car haulers. Usually the tow vehicle is a Ram 3500 Cummins but sometimes they have a 4500 or 5500 Ram. Occassionally you'll see someone with a Ford but rarely a Chevy. Just my observation.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #10

Not uncommon, but it's not something I see everyday just because I live in Wyoming and there's a lot fewer people here so fewer cars. I do see one ton dually hotshot trucks carrying oilfield equipment and 40ft gooseneck trailers, dozens a day.
WYO George is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Yup, I see them regularly too...

With many travel trailers on their backs too! Sometimes 2 or 3!

Definitely full CDL, with HOS, and all the same rules the big boys play by.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #12

Howdy!

Sixteen years ago when we purchased our large 5er we found out quickly that our 3/4 ton truck was not up to towing it, not even a one ton was. So we purchased our first MDT 5500 Chevrolet Kodiak followed by 4400 International. Pickup truck just were not up to the task. My wife recently decided she wanted a new truck and we down sized trucks and purchased a 3500 DRW/LDZ Custom Hauler from 2L Custom Trucks. this truck is more than capable of towin our 18,000# plus 5er. All of the big three Dodge, Ford and Chevorlet now days are more than capable towing in excess of 20,000 to over 30,000lbs incredible.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #13

I live on the I5 corridor just 12 miles north of Portland. My shop was located on the busiest intersection for trucks and I5 for 100 miles. I saw thousands of trucks every day and over the years it was pretty interesting seeing the change in the trucking market. A half a mile from my shop they tore down the legendary Portland speedway and built a transfer terminal for Old Dominion lines. Its maybe 100yards wide with 60 maybe more loading docks on each side. All they do is pull stuff off one trailer and onto another. Nothing is stored in the building.

I have also driven I5 from Seattle to San Diego, Hotshots and LDTs are more popular than ever. I see many every day. Is is becoming popular as a retirement persons part time job also.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #14

Its been like that for many years especially around areas with big car auctions and cities with lots of new and used car dealers.
DOT watches these guys and gals real close on size of the vehicle on the trailers especially 4 car slants.
My neighbor lady has a four car slant with her older 4500 cab&chassis Dodge/Cummins. She also has fl;atdecks for her LTL work. Her hubby runs a class 8 Volvo and flatdecks hauling freight and vehicle like new fire trucks/ambulances/etc

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer