Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #15

Haters hate - CU has done good by me.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I bought a brand new 2012 Ford SD diesel because consumer reports had the 2011 SD as having the least issues of Ram and Chevy 7 years ago.

I had zero issues with the 2012 Ford SD duty diesel. I just traded it for a smaller truck since I sold the 5th wheel.
X2 on that I have a 2011 F250 SD Diesel. I use to get a new truck every 5 years. Not any more, it's the best truck I have owned.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #17

I Buy Chevy,Ford , Dodge and Toyotas for use in the oil field, these trucks run on dirt muddy and dusty roads 365 days a year all 4 hold up very well if I had to rate them I would put them Ford Chevy Toyota Dodge ,But the Chevy rides the best .By the way these are all 4x4 .
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #18

Haha. I guess im not the only one thats had issues with my dodges.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Would be nice if CR broke it down to people who used their trucks to tow with, either construction trailers or RV trailers. Many of us are very tribal in our brand affiliation. Have a family member who is a diehard Ram owner (1500 v-8, 2500 v-10 and 3500 diesel) all used for some part time towing. Just way too many major repair items (spindles, steering boxes, rear ends and seals, tranny's, turbo, front suspensions....)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ten Worst

I also quit CU decades ago as they also appeared biased favoring European cars. They ranked the OPAL Cadett over the VW beetle! They rate the cars by what THEY like in a car. The surveys are based on a very very very small simple of cars.It's to small a sample to of any use. They also liked the Affordable healthcare act.....Go figure....
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Would be nice if CR broke it down to people who used their trucks to tow with, either construction trailers or RV trailers. Many of us are very tribal in our brand affiliation. Have a family member who is a diehard Ram owner (1500 v-8, 2500 v-10 and 3500 diesel) all used for some part time towing. Just way too many major repair items (spindles, steering boxes, rear ends and seals, tranny's, turbo, front suspensions....)
You guys need to understand that this isnt relevant to the truck. The truck doesnt care. Thats not to saying it doesnt make a difference to us, the drivers. Its simply saying the truck doesnt know its being wagged or blown around. Its strictly a human perception thing.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I quit CU decades ago as they also appeared biased favoring European cars.
Because it was true and for the most part still is. I mean clearly the pinto was far better than the corolla. How dare they report otherwise.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #23

When looking at HD trucks for towing heavy, you only have local choices. So their opinions are pointless. There are no foreign trucks that can handle a 20k trailer let alone a 15k one. So who cares what they say. Look at wat the truck users say, they actually know what they are looking for.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #24

Been reading CR on and off for about 40 years. In my experience they have been really good with testing and making recommendations on appliances and some other things. And down right stupid with automobiles.

Where do they find some of these terrible reviewers that know so little about anything automotive. Really they have done several over the years that were just [ Moderator edit]? Like moonbat testers that like how cool the glove box latch works or the latest niffty must have gadget but has no idea what motor or transmission is in it or how the consumers of such vehicle would typically use it.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #25

And some folks are interested more in how many cup holders it has.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
I really don’t understand how they come up with that stuff, ever car, truck or mini van I’ve owned have been in the top 10 worst buys, but yet I’ve never really had many issues
I like to do some research when buying big ticket items. Reading online articles, reviews, and in forums usually gives me some ideas on what to look at more closely or avoid. I do NOT use Consumer Reports for any of my research because I've seen em get it wrong too many times.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I read CR many times. Went out to buy their recommendations and could never find the product. And JD Powers is much the same way, initial product quality is meaningless. I listen to friends and reliable recommendations like I get here, of course filtering opinions.
Example: for years friends had Japanese cars that very few problems yet my american made cars needed repairs often. So after 34 problems on a 02 Deville and lost $34k in 4.5 years i traded it in on a 07 Accord with nearly zero problems in almost 12 years.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Been reading CR on and off for about 40 years. In my experience they have been really good with testing and making recommendations on appliances and some other things. And down right stupid with automobiles.

Where do they find some of these terrible reviewers that know so little about anything automotive. Really they have done several over the years that were just [ moderator edit]?Like moonbat testers that like how cool the glove box latch works or the latest niffty must have gadget but has no idea what motor or transmission is in it or how the consumers of such vehicle would typically use it.
reminds me of most of the tv commercials, don't tell you a dang thing about the vehicle. wth

Tags
chevy