Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #15

With a pin weight at 3500 lbs you've got to be very close or over your payload capacity. I'm sure your truck handles the trailer well, mine did, but I like my dually and while I still watch to not over pack I have less concerns about it with the extra payload the duals give me. You'll love the 6.7 and you'll be surprised just how much better it pulls, and stops, with a true exhaust brake.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #16

I would get the Ford extended warranty. The bumper to bumper is gone since you're over 36k and as you are probably already aware these things aren't cheap to fix. Anyway, sounds like a really nice truck and I hope you get it. Let us know how it turns out.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #17

That's another reason I want a 6.7. My folks have an '11 they ordered new. Basically a twin sister to my '09. It's just a more refined package, the engine and trans work well together. I like the tapshift and the better exhaust braking, plus less regeneration and better fuel mileage is a bonus. Another advantage is the cab doesn't need to be lifted when repairs arise. Ours has been lifted twice with 62k mi. Once for a minor oil leak repaired under warranty and another for a wiring harness on the fuel pump. Not a huge bill at $1,200, but I think long term the cost of ownership will be less with the 6.7.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Don't expect much with the exhaust brake unless you go with a 14 or later. The earlier models had a virtually ineffective exhaust brake. It used the EGR to dump exhaust into the intake to starve the engine, instead of the more conventional use of the turbo. They finally followed Ram and GM in either 14 or 15, and started using the turbo.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #19

I'd really like a '15 or newer for the above mentioned upgrades, but an '11-13 will be a big improvement powertrain wise over the current '09.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #20

Update. The lady that owns the 450 doesn't want to trade, so our sales manager started looking for a truck from the Ford auctions. I personally found one at a Ford dealer in Denver, it was a '14 with 29K. My dealer had "traded" with them before, so he calls out to check on it. They inform him that they will not wholesale it. I agree to pay the asking price, as we liked the truck. He calls them to say that we will take the truck and will be out to pick it up in a couple days. Denver renigs, saying they have a "hot buyer" for it, and will let us know if it's available. So now we are back to looking at auctions. Last Tues my sales manager calls, "Denver internet sales manager emailed me last night, says the truck is available if we want it." I tell him to call and get it. I head down our dealership to price the Ford puck system as the Denver truck doesn't have it. While I'm at the parts counter, my manager receives email from Denver they sold the truck last night! So now we are both upset. We then start looking for a new one, and find one at a dealer 230 miles to the east. With the current rebates and $2,500 customer loyalty, $5,650 over the '14 and we had a new one. It's not loaded quite as hard, but it did have the factory prep package, so in reality we "upgraded" for around $4,350 as I'd have had around $1,300 in having them add the pucks to the '14. Really didn't want a new truck, but when running the numbers, it just didn't make sense not to do it. As my wife and I agreed, we know where it's been, how it's been treated, ect. It will just take us a little longer to replenish our fund, but we don't plan on selling the truck anytime soon. We are "self-financing" it, and will pay ourselves back monthly plus a little interest. Spent yesterday installing accessories, waiting on the duraflaps, grill guard and B&Whitch, but hopfully those will be installed by next weekend.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent McCain View Post
Update. The lady that owns the 450 doesn't want to trade, so our sales manager started looking for a truck from the Ford auctions. I personally found one at a Ford dealer in Denver, it was a '14 with 29K. My dealer had "traded" with them before, so he calls out to check on it. They inform him that they will not wholesale it. I agree to pay the asking price, as we liked the truck. He calls them to say that we will take the truck and will be out to pick it up in a couple days. Denver renigs, saying they have a "hot buyer" for it, and will let us know if it's available. So now we are back to looking at auctions. Last Tues my sales manager calls, "Denver internet sales manager emailed me last night, says the truck is available if we want it." I tell him to call and get it. I head down our dealership to price the Ford puck system as the Denver truck doesn't have it. While I'm at the parts counter, my manager receives email from Denver they sold the truck last night! So now we are both upset. We then start looking for a new one, and find one at a dealer 230 miles to the east. With the current rebates and $2,500 customer loyalty, $5,650 over the '14 and we had a new one. It's not loaded quite as hard, but it did have the factory prep package, so in reality we "upgraded" for around $4,350 as I'd have had around $1,300 in having them add the pucks to the '14. Really didn't want a new truck, but when running the numbers, it just didn't make sense not to do it. As my wife and I agreed, we know where it's been, how it's been treated, ect. It will just take us a little longer to replenish our fund, but we don't plan on selling the truck anytime soon. We are "self-financing" it, and will pay ourselves back monthly plus a little interest. Spent yesterday installing accessories, waiting on the duraflaps, grill guard and B&Whitch, but hopfully those will be installed by next weekend.
Congrats on the new rig. You also have a lot more warranty than on a new one. I think you made the right choice. Best of luck with your new truck.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new truck. I suspect you made the right choice. Is a "6-pack", as in 2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW, another term for dually?
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Congrats on the new truck. I suspect you made the right choice. Is a "6-pack", as in 2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW, another term for dually?

I think possibly GM might have used the term first when referring to a crew cab truck....3 in the front and 3 in the back. Ours is actually 5 with the center console though! I think we made the right choice, now we just need to go camping. Anxious to try it out.

Trent
Old 07-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I think you will be very happy with your choice. I found the same thing around here before I purchased my 2013 F350. The used ones were either driven hard or within a few $Thou of new.

It amazes me how many Super Duty's do not come standard with the factory pucks. It was only a $370 option from the factory, but as you mentioned, much more expensive after the fact. Even if someone is not towing a 5th wheel, it is also a gooseneck receiver. I wish my current F250 had that option.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #25

Have seen many loaded '15s and '16s--$68k and up--without the factory hitch options. Crazy computer decision by Ford? Just who is going to buy a dually 350 or a 450 and not tow something? Came close a couple of times to checking tradein values on a lot model, only to notice no hitch option...deal killer.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #26

I bought a 2015 F350 and had the puck system installed for $450 locally.....love the puck system with the B&W hitch!
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #27

I run up on used F350 & F450 duallies quite often, and they're really the thing for heavier fifth wheels. TruckTrader.com is another place to find such trucks.

Bear in mind there are two F450's. You have the one that's a fully optioned 4x4 unit closely attuned to the F350. Then you have the F450 cab and chassis that came from the factory without any OEM bed in 2x4 or 4x4. They're more closely attuned to the F550. You can even get the V-10 engine in them today.

With a fifth wheel RV bed, the F450 cab/chassis really a hoss. And I know a used car/truck operation the stocks the RV beds at all times.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #28

We just don't have dually trucks in western KS. Our dealer doesn't stock them. Our family and I have done business with them for years. We thought about selling ours outright and then finding a used dually in TX would have been easy. But then we would have more time and expense getting it home. I didn't want to deal with tire kickers that had to try and get financed. Then if we sold ours, we would be in a "panic situation" as we've got some travel plans next month and I didn't want to be rushed into taking a truck I really didn't want. In the end it worked out like it was supposed to I guess.

Tags
ford