Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2005, 07:39 AM   #1

Hi You all;
I'm looking at buying a Mobile Suite 36tk3. It has a dry weight of 14240 posted inside one of the cabinets. I have a 97 Dodge 3500 dooley 4X4 with a 12 valve cummins and a 5 speed manual transmission. The trucks GVW is 11000 with a CGVW of 18000 pounds. The trucks curb weight, unloaded with me and a half tank of gas weighs 7850 pounds.
Have been pulling a 37 ft London Air all over the place including Mexico for the last 4 years with this rig and it has a combined total weight of Truck and trailer at 22500 pounds. Trailer loaded weight is 14660 of which part of that is pin weight at 2850 lbs.
My question is am I pushing my luck with the new rig? I see many similar sized Mobile suite 5ers out there being pulled with Dodge 3500s and F350s. They appear to be doing OK. What am I missing here?
Thanks for your opinions. Best regards and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2005, 07:39 AM   #2

Hi You all;
I'm looking at buying a Mobile Suite 36tk3. It has a dry weight of 14240 posted inside one of the cabinets. I have a 97 Dodge 3500 dooley 4X4 with a 12 valve cummins and a 5 speed manual transmission. The trucks GVW is 11000 with a CGVW of 18000 pounds. The trucks curb weight, unloaded with me and a half tank of gas weighs 7850 pounds.
Have been pulling a 37 ft London Air all over the place including Mexico for the last 4 years with this rig and it has a combined total weight of Truck and trailer at 22500 pounds. Trailer loaded weight is 14660 of which part of that is pin weight at 2850 lbs.
My question is am I pushing my luck with the new rig? I see many similar sized Mobile suite 5ers out there being pulled with Dodge 3500s and F350s. They appear to be doing OK. What am I missing here?
Thanks for your opinions. Best regards and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The 'technically correct' solution to your towing dilemma will be expensive. However, as you pointed out, there are a lot of rigs on the road in the same overloaded situation as you'll be. Doesn't make it right but it's fact.

Whether or not you join the group who tows over their weight ratings is entirely up to you. You already seem to know what's needed to make the determination. Whether a bunch of us on this forum agree or disagree isn't going to change anything.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope you and those folks driving the same highways remain safe and that you or they have no need to make any fast panic stops.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
OldFox
where in Mexico have you been pulling your rig?
I love that terrain
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #5

Fat Dog; I've been going down the east coast of Mexico. From Brownsville all the way around to the very southeastern tip of Mexico just 4 miles from the Belizean border. It's a little fishing village named Xcalak. It's about 5 hours south of CanCun. It's my paradise for the Diving and fishing and has just a plain laid back atmosphere. Have also led RVers down there on adventure tours as Wagonmaster on a couple of trips. Wanna go?
Cya OB (aka the Old Fox)
Old 11-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #6

Hitchhiker; Thanks for the reply. Yes I know about the braking. Have had to make a few panic stops and it ain't fun. That's why I want to verify and or see if I'm correctly looking at the figures. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #7

Old Fox,
Wow....I was asking awhile back around the same lines. I have a 5er weighing at 11k with a 97 Dodge Dually 3500 but with auto trans. She runs good but a little sluggish. After alot of thought I am going to keep on truckin but install the TST fuel plate to give me 230 hp and possible trans upgrades. Have you ever had problems hauling your present rig?

Retired_Ranger
2000 Crossroads 28 footer
97 12 valver Dodge Dually Beast
Old 11-25-2005, 04:36 AM   #8

Hello Retired; Yes I had some sluggish problems. During one of the many hurricane evacuations, I had problems pulling through the rolling hills in southern Mississippi. Took the truck to the cummins engine folks and they found a bad turbo gate valve. They installed a plug in the line which brought the turbo on, all the time and everythings been fine since then. It pulls good in 5th and I seldom ever have to down shift into 4th. It's a manual 5 speed tranny. I can't help you with your automatic unit but you might want to take it to a speed shop and have it tested on a dyno to see how much hp your getting. Hope this helps. Cya
Old 11-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #9

Old Fox,

Even though the new 1 tons are bulit basilly the same as your 97 is, remember the new trucks do have higher horsepower ratings than your truck does. Also, the new Ford F350 with the tow boss has a trailer rating up to 19,200 lbs which would put you in a safe range, althought not by much, depending on how you load it up. My Alfa weighted in at 15,300 lbs loaded with 30 gals of water out of 100 gals possible. I just round tripped Las Vegas from LA acouple weeks ago and the truck ran excellant, 55 mph up the biggest grades with no problems at all.

Personally I would not tow that trailer setup with your truck, that's just me. I traded a 2000 F350 in for the new truck because of my new Alfa's weight.

Yes there are many many overloaded trucks on the road, and most never have any major problems. My wife and I travel around the US every year and we just wanted to be only be safe but be legal, just in case something was to happen. It's your decision ultimately, good luck in your choice.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #10

H i Clark;
Thanks for the reply. But I think your also overloaded. Your truck weighs at least 7000 pounds. That and the trailers weight of 15300 added together puts you at a combined weight of 22300. That puts you 4100 pounds over your 19200 pound weight rating.

That's also the overloaded weight that I've been pulling around for the last 4 years. I have also pulled some pretty steep grades in the mountains of Mexico, with no problems.

But what I'm trying to determine is, am I looking at this gross combined weight correctly?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #11

It may not be all those peoples fault entirely they are over gross weight. Example in my case when I puchased my 5er the dealer said I HAD PLENTY OF TRUCK TO PULL THE TRAILER. I can tell you that I knew it was going to be close and it was after weighing at Flying J scales. I was about 100 lbs under if I only filled my fresh water tanks to full which I don't. I am probably over gross now as I added an inbed Transfer Flow 70 Ga. tank. Though I have not weighed it since this install so cannot say for sure. So ignorance is no excuse but the dealers don't help because I think if I had a 1/2 ton they would have said the same thing. I debated a medium duty tractor but at this point I weem to be doing okay so if I am over gross I think it is not by much. For those I see pulling a trailer my size with a 1/2 ton I just try not to be in front or way in front because I am not sure they have enough truck to stop it. Just my opinion for what it is worth. So if you are buying a new trailer don't beleive the dealer comletely they want to make the sale.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I understand your situation - see signature. It's the age-old RVers story - buy enough truck for the previous 5th wheel, then the next 5ver knocks you into the weeds. Our truck isn't stock by a long shot (347 BHP/762 lb-ft torque at the rear wheels) and has no trouble pulling our Mobile Suites 36RE3 - no overheating whatsoever even running 6% grades in 100+ degF Texas summer weather, and it will pull those 6% grades in 6th gear. Braking is actually better than our previous Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS due to bigger brakes on the MS, but the key here is a good brake controller such as our Jordan Ultima 2020. Nevertheless, the fact remains that I'm running over my 21,500 lb GCWR although I'm well within all GAWRs and tire ratings. I'm at that point in the cycle where I've upsized the trailer and will have to upsize the truck when replacement time comes around.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 AM   #13

I have come to the conclusion that we all are in an endless loop of either having too much truck for the trailer (thus wanting a bigger trailer) or too much trailer for the truck (thus wanting a bigger truck). Currently we are matched up pretty well with our current truck and fiver although last month while camping I began to wonder about that.... I was using the truck to pull the 32 gallon blue tote to the dump station when a fellow camper who seemed very knowledgable about Rving, commented that it looked like I needed a bigger truck to pull that tote since I was going so slow I dont know whether to get a smaller grey water tote or a bigger truck

Merry Christmas everybody, we will be camping!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #14

Old Fox,

My truck is rated truck and trailer at 26,000 lbs. The new Fords with the tow boss package allow that weight. I checked and double checked, even have paperwork in the truck stating the gcvw rating just so some officer doesn't give me a problem. Even if I max out the trailer at it's 16000 lbs and add the trucks weight of 7800 lbs, I'm still under the gross weight of the truck and trailer.

Look at the new 2006 towing guide in the Trailer Life mag. It has all the ratings listed.

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote