Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
5th wheels have very little wind drag compared to TTs.
Que? How can this be with a much larger wind profile and frontal area. The frontal area that is sticking about 12'-11" in the air and 8' wide is certainly a lot more than a maybe 10' high by 8' wide. Basic engineering says otherwise.

And running 62 to 65 mph with a 16,000# 5er at 12'-11" high and 8' wide, we get generally get 10 to 11 mpg.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #44

My take on this is if you really need a gas truck you need to buy the F150 because a gas F250 value will drop like stone and might not be able to get rid of it. The F150s are in great demand compared to F250 gas.
Better to have a hard working truck then one that is worth much less. Any bigger unit will need a diesel anyway.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Que? How can this be with a much larger wind profile and frontal area. The frontal area that is sticking about 12'-11" in the air and 8' wide is certainly a lot more than a maybe 10' high by 8' wide. Basic engineering says otherwise.

And running 62 to 65 mph with a 16,000# 5er at 12'-11" high and 8' wide, we get generally get 10 to 11 mpg.

Ken
My unit cuts about 8 square feet of frontal area because its 4 feet behind the cab.
A TT behind my truck pulls harder past 40 mph on flat. I have the load gages to prove it. My single axle service trailer loaded 7 feet high is almost as hard to tow.
My friend had a 24ft TT and a 4.0lt Ranger and I had a 24 5th wheel with a 2.9lt Ranger and he could not run faster then 50 mph without overheating and I ran 70 mph all day. He had bought the TT that size because I could tow mine so easily with my smaller engine.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #46

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Amen, since drag is function of frontal area and coefficient of drag, hard to understand how a significantly larger frontal area could have a less drag than a much lower profile than a TT. Sure that Cd plays into it, as some of the 5ers I see do have some aerodynamic aids attached to the truck. But, again, a moot point for us as we cannot afford a 5er, unless somebody wants to donate one.

Cheers, BJ
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #47

And...seems we're going OT here...my original question was looking for input about folks experiences with a 150 vs a 250. Pulling a light to moderate sized TT. With gas, not diesel, power...

How did we diverge to talking about 5ers? LOL

Cheers to all!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #48

Plus, FWIW, leaning more and more towards...an F-250...
Old 01-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #49

Just for grins (cuz I grin a lot!) looked at some dimensional info for a fifth wheel that I've pulled with an F350, our BIL's rig. Frontal area of his 12'10" high, 8' wide, 5er is 102.67 sq ft.

A TT from the same brand that I'd consider has a frontal area of 80 sq ft. Since a tow vehicle for either has a smaller frontal area, the amount of frontal area of the TT or 5er seems to be the most critical factor. The truck is merely 'breaking wind' for the towed vehicle (ha ha).

A simplistic way (I have a simple mind) of looking at it perhaps. But the 5er presents over 28% more frontal area. So in aerodynamic terms the coefficient of drag for the 5er would have to be 28% less than the TT combo for total drag to be less.

Given what I've read over the years about aerodynamics, I sincerely doubt that is possible. I don't doubt that a 5er 'might' have a smoother coefficient of drag, but with a canopy equipped truck pulling a TT, I simply (there's that darned word again!) I can't believe it is that much smoother.

Respectfully, B
Old 01-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #50

All I know is what every 'hotshotter ' says when I have asked the question - what tows with better gas mileage?- In every case and without hestation they answer 5th.
These are the guys that tow rv's day in day out across country.The trailer and tow unit must be considered as a single vehicle and air flow rides over and 'smooths' the flow.
TT's are too far away from the tv to accomplish this 'smoothing'
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #51

For your intended use I think a gas engine is the right choice.
I've towed lots of trailers with lots of different trucks. I think you stated that the difference between an F150 and an F250 was about $2,000. That will be the best $2,000 you ever spent in your camping, driving, towing, owning experience. The larger truck will do everything the smaller one will do and more. It will also do everything better and easier.
Gas mileage towing will likely be very close between the two. Possibly even better with the F250 and larger engine. Non-towing mileage would probably be better with the F150 but to me that doesn't matter at all. My priorities when buying a truck are it's capability to tow and haul, it's reliability, longevity, comfort, options, and price. After all that I may bother to worry about fuel mileage.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Perhaps if you'd read the entire thread you might have noted that we don't intend to haul far, nor often.
As a secondary vehicle, I see you won't be using it much except for when it is needed. SO, the deciding factor should be with the size trailer and weight of it. Under 25' and 6,000 lb trailer max GVWR = 150. Over 25' and trailer max GVWR = 250. BOTH would still require a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) for safer towing. Shop both trucks for best deal and if you can, get the trailer first, you may be able to figure which one you need. I tried to make an arguement for diesel and you refused, which is ok, but even in my diesel arguements, the 250/2500 benefits are there about heavier duty suspension, frame and brakes.

Quote:
And that I will not consider buying a used truck.
You must have reasons, and I would like to know why?
Worried about buying a beatup work truck? Shop like I did - I found a 2500 to my likeing, that had 73,500 miles (nothing for a 2006 diesel), barely used (looks great) and doesn't have a goose neck or 5th wheel hitch. It never even had a brake controller installed, which means it probably never towed heavy. An auto reporting agency the dealer used showed me I would be the 3rd owner, the truck was maintained regularly at dealerships, and it had never been reported wrecked. I checked with another agency to verify and am satisfied it is a great truck. I now have 85,000 miles on the truck, 11,500 miles I have put on since July, trouble free going all the way from Florida to Sturgis motorcycle rally.
Quote:
Still much better than an 8' x 12' tent and couple of cots!!!

BJ
Which is what I towed to Sturgis - getting an overall MPG of 12.5 (would have been more, but a buddy in another truck had to go faster!) Minus the cots and tent - we slept in the trailer. I made an ez put together stand for a queen size matress. Works great!

Good luck in your search. Hope you found answers to help your decision.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #53

If you're hardly towing and the trucks not a DD then what's the issue? I've been following this thread and you always seem to have a rebuttal for everyone's post. I think you're over thinking the whole thing. Still not sure what you want. Like I said earlier no one complains about having too much truck. Not sure why a 1-2 yr old used truck with 10-20,000 on it wouldn't be better. Your truck will be sitting there doing nothing until your next trip. I don't know about you but I couldn't justify having a new truck sitting there not being used. You will probably only put 6-8,000 miles a year on it with your plan.
I suppose your next question will be what color should I get?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #54

It'll be red...
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #55

6.2L mpg ?? - Page 5 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

This is a thread on the 6.2L F250 about fuel mileage. I did not read all of it but most of it. This may help you get an idea on expected fuel mileage empty and towing.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
6.2L mpg ?? - Page 5 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

This is a thread on the 6.2L F250 about fuel mileage. I did not read all of it but most of it. This may help you get an idea on expected fuel mileage empty and towing.
James, thanks much for that link, interesting discussion on a diesel forum!

And the jury is in, so the discussion can end before I hack more people off with my replies. LOL. I appreciate all the comments, even if it may not seem like it.

So, we'll be shopping for an F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 4x2, short bed, with 6.2 gas. The discussion has helped me a lot in clarifying some priorities about this truck!

To answer a couple of other questions... Why new? Given my age and health challenges, this will be the last truck I will ever buy. So I prefer to splurge a bit on this, and get exactly the truck I want, power train, packages, interior set up, and yes, even the color. As to the diesel "question", a preference based on economics and experiences. I drove a delivery truck for ARCO many years ago, and for three years I smelled like a diesel! LOL. Not that I intend to have a fuel spill in my garage, but I hate the smell. And since our truck won't be used for long distance, long duration hauls, a gasser will be more than adequate.

Thanks to all for the responses!!!