Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
James, thanks much for that link, interesting discussion on a diesel forum!

And the jury is in, so the discussion can end before I hack more people off with my replies. LOL. I appreciate all the comments, even if it may not seem like it.

So, we'll be shopping for an F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 4x2, short bed, with 6.2 gas. The discussion has helped me a lot in clarifying some priorities about this truck!

To answer a couple of other questions... Why new? Given my age and health challenges, this will be the last truck I will ever buy. So I prefer to splurge a bit on this, and get exactly the truck I want, power train, packages, interior set up, and yes, even the color. As to the diesel "question", a preference based on economics and experiences. I drove a delivery truck for ARCO many years ago, and for three years I smelled like a diesel! LOL. Not that I intend to have a fuel spill in my garage, but I hate the smell. And since our truck won't be used for long distance, long duration hauls, a gasser will be more than adequate.

Thanks to all for the responses!!!
Good choice. FWIW new diesels don't smell at all. Maybe a slight wiff every now and then. But No worse than the funny smells cars/trucks give off. I do understand the smell part when filling up. I live in Oregon so we can't pump our own. However we took a trip to a self serve state and I ended up at one of those big rig gas/diesel stations. Of course I got diesel from the pump handle on my hands. Stinks. If that was something I was going to be doing on a reoccurring basis I think a pair of gloves stored somewhere would be necessary.
The gasser will be less headaches and just as reliable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Good choice. FWIW new diesels don't smell at all. Maybe a slight wiff every now and then. But No worse than the funny smells cars/trucks give off. I do understand the smell part when filling up. I live in Oregon so we can't pump our own. However we took a trip to a self serve state and I ended up at one of those big rig gas/diesel stations. Of course I got diesel from the pump handle on my hands. Stinks. If that was something I was going to be doing on a reoccurring basis I think a pair of gloves stored somewhere would be necessary.
I have seen some stations have disposable gloves for diesel fuel purchasers. Not common im sure but have seen it.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #59

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I have seen some stations have disposable gloves for diesel fuel purchasers. Not common im sure but have seen it.
The smell is just one part of it, with our intended (and limited) use I can't justify the added up front expense. And would have to talk my CFO (aka SWMBO and/or DW) into it as well. Nor do I give a whit about the future trade in value. Face it, I just prefer a gasser! LOL

Cheers!

PS. And if some others want to flame me some more, have at it. 26 years in the fire service taught me how to handle flames. Just kidding folks!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The less headaches and just as reliable is something I really...like!

Thanks for all your comments to this thread!

Shiny side up!!! B
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #61

Doesn't matter if you have gas or diesel, just don't fill up in Canada. Our mafia-inspired prices are guaranteed to give you a nosebleed. Down now but was up around $6/gal last summer. Certain to go up again for the next camping season.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Doesn't matter if you have gas or diesel, just don't fill up in Canada. Our mafia-inspired prices are guaranteed to give you a nosebleed. Down now but was up around $6/gal last summer. Certain to go up again for the next camping season.

MyRed

Yeah, thats about the same per gallon as here in Japan.

to the OP

FWIW I tow a 18' european made TT with a 2001 F150 super crew. and mileage and power are not a problem with no issues up to 60~65 mph. I also towed it recently with my friends jeep what a heck of a difference, the jeep is so light in comparison that crosswinds make it twitchy at highway speeds.

While not a F150 vs F250 comparison, I would think that the difference in weight would probably make for the same issues when towing a larger trailer w/the F150 vice the F250.

ken
Old 01-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn_chan View Post
MyRed

Yeah, thats about the same per gallon as here in Japan.

to the OP

FWIW I tow a 18' european made TT with a 2001 F150 super crew. and mileage and power are not a problem with no issues up to 60~65 mph. I also towed it recently with my friends jeep what a heck of a difference, the jeep is so light in comparison that crosswinds make it twitchy at highway speeds.

While not a F150 vs F250 comparison, I would think that the difference in weight would probably make for the same issues when towing a larger trailer w/the F150 vice the F250.

ken
A jeep isn't just relatively light, that ultra short wheelbase would make it sort of a white knuckle towing experience. You're a braver man than me!

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #64

Was the jeep an SUV type jeep or CJ 7 type? You want white knuckle try towing s 5,000lb trailer with a Honda Ridgeline. It was only good up to 55 - 60 mph. At 65 mph you could sense your life expectancy was in danger. Two hands on the steering wheel making a steering correction twice a second. When a semi started to pass seemed I got pushed 1 or 2 feet to the right then sucked 1 or 2 feet back to the left as it passed.

I towed 600 miles total with the Honda before I bought a F-150. The bigger F-150 changed the whole towing experience. 95% of the white knuckle driving was gone.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
That must be why we see so many Canadians in gas stations around Blaine! Our prices are high, but not THAT outrageous!!!

Guess we won't be doing much camping in BC.

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Buy the truck for your NEXT trailer .
cheaper
This is the best advise for almost anybody. In 2-3 years he will be asking should he get an f-350 srw or dually. if he gets an f-250 now atleast he is half way there and can tow a pretty big trailer. I will be buying a new truck in 2-3 years and Im only looking at duallys I will only consider a 3500 srw if it is a deal too good to pass up.

I really think its a no brainer to go with a gas 3/4ton vs. a fancy loaded 1/2ton.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
This is the best advise for almost anybody. In 2-3 years he will be asking should he get an f-350 srw or dually. if he gets an f-250 now atleast he is half way there and can tow a pretty big trailer. I will be buying a new truck in 2-3 years and Im only looking at duallys I will only consider a 3500 srw if it is a deal too good to pass up.

I really think its a no brainer to go with a gas 3/4ton vs. a fancy loaded 1/2ton.
Just wondering..?

What other things does your Crystal Ball show for me 2-3 years from now? Have I won the lottery, or perhaps gotten some other windfall?

Mr. No Brainer here.