Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
150 or 250, that is the question

I've been using Ford's build-price web feature lately, and it's become rather apparent, that if you option up a 150 to maximum payload and towing capacity, that the pricing gets VERY close to a 250 with the 6.2 gas motor. Looks VERY close!

We'll eventually (after this house gets sold and the new one is underway!) be looking for a trailer in 24' +/- range, something with max loaded weight in the 7500-8000 pound range. Intent is to do rather short duration trips within a 1000-1200 mile range of our Puget Sound location for fishing and camping trips of not more than a week at a time. With careful selection of an F-150 with a WDH, I do think we'd be okay, but as I look at pricing it does occur that a 250 might be a better choice for it's heavier chassis, brakes, suspension, etc, etc.

When not towing, the truck is really a second vehicle without a lot of usage. Our Avalon is WAY more comfy and economical for daily duty! LOL. Nonetheless, I'd prefer not to buy a gas hog of a truck...which is some of the criticism I've seen of the 250. FWIW, not the least interested in a diesel 250, nor the EcoBoost 150. So just limiting my comparison (tonight! lol) to a 6.2 250 or a 5.0 150. Fickle, I know, but that's just me!

The specific feedback / experience I seek, is what other owners of 6.2 250 think of their trucks both towing and not towing. The EPA numbers (yes, I know they are NOT real numbers!) aren't available for the 250, so it's challenging to make any sort of comparisons on that particular aspect.

I've heard the many "Go Big, or Go Home" comments, and I understand that perspective quite well. No real need to beat that dead horse again, unless you really need to do so! LOL

That being said, I would love to hear your thoughts folks!

Cheers!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #2

Is resale a concern to you once you're done with it or simply want a newer vehicle? I think a quick check of used resale value over 3/5/7/10 yrs for F150s and F250s as compared to their original price may better help your decision.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well if possible I would think to buy the camper first and then the appropriate truck to fit the camper. Many of us end up with a larger camper than we intended.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
6mm

If it was me and you have the extra cash I would purchase a F350 I had to buy a bigger truck to tow my TT loaded weight of 8000 and took a big loss on the first SUV Then purchased the F350 4x4 6.2L CC short box.I will never purchase again a truck that is just close to being enough.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM   #5

Buy the truck for your NEXT trailer .
cheaper
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #6

From personal experience of owning an F150 and 2500 there's a big difference. I towed a 31' 7300lb TT with both. Power aside, handling is the key. I used an EQ properly setup with the F150 and for the most part it was fine. Open stretches of road with some wind would move the two around some. Not white knuckle at all just a little attention grabbing. With the 2500 I could use just an EAZ-Lift w/o sway control and it was just as stable. Trailer still moved but the heavier suspension on the truck kept the truck solid.
IMO 6000lbs and 26' is the limit for 1/2 tons. My rule of thumb is this.
If something happened and you couldn't drive, would your wife be able to drive the setup? I would of been fine with my wife towing the TT with the 2500. She would really have her hands full with the same TT and the F150.
FWIW the F150 was a 2010 Super Crew 5.5 bed 7650 GVW Max Tow.
Get the 3/4 ton or for $800.00 get the F350. You never see guys come on these forums and say they have too much truck.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Is resale a concern to you once you're done with it or simply want a newer vehicle? I think a quick check of used resale value over 3/5/7/10 yrs for F150s and F250s as compared to their original price may better help your decision.
Resale value isn't a consideration for us...thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Well if possible I would think to buy the camper first and then the appropriate truck to fit the camper. Many of us end up with a larger camper than we intended.
Not possible to buy a camper first...my old F-150 would just cough and die if we tried to tow with it. OTOH, that might be the incentive my DW needs to get a new truck BEFORE the old one croaks!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
If it was me and you have the extra cash I would purchase a F350 I had to buy a bigger truck to tow my TT loaded weight of 8000 and took a big loss on the first SUV Then purchased the F350 4x4 6.2L CC short box.I will never purchase again a truck that is just close to being enough.
No extra cash in our budget, darn it! If there was, I'd not hesitate to buy a bigger TV and TT. Unfortunately when one takes a medical retirement at age 50, the nest egg ceases to grow. Not complaining, as 15 years afterwards, I'm still six feet over instead of six feet under!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
Buy the truck for your NEXT trailer .
cheaper
No doubt! But there won't be another trailer....

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say this: When it comes to tow vehicles for a 5th wheel or TT.

The bigger the tractor the better the tractor the tractors are bigger at TRAIL-HAULER.COM

(That plays better if you read the variable part of the URL instead of what the web site translates it to).

I see many trailers being pulled by a F-150 that really need an F-450 or F-450 to tow 'em..

If you are going to tow with it, GO with the bigger truck, Always go with the bigger truck.

This is the one area where Tim Taylor (Tim Allen's character in the TV show Home Improvement) has it right.. MORE POWER!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
From personal experience of owning an F150 and 2500 there's a big difference. I towed a 31' 7300lb TT with both. Power aside, handling is the key. I used an EQ properly setup with the F150 and for the most part it was fine. Open stretches of road with some wind would move the two around some. Not white knuckle at all just a little attention grabbing. With the 2500 I could use just an EAZ-Lift w/o sway control and it was just as stable. Trailer still moved but the heavier suspension on the truck kept the truck solid.
IMO 6000lbs and 26' is the limit for 1/2 tons. My rule of thumb is this.
If something happened and you couldn't drive, would your wife be able to drive the setup? I would of been fine with my wife towing the TT with the 2500. She would really have her hands full with the same TT and the F150.
FWIW the F150 was a 2010 Super Crew 5.5 bed 7650 GVW Max Tow.
Get the 3/4 ton or for $800.00 get the F350. You never see guys come on these forums and say they have too much truck.
No problems for DW driving most any rig...as a teen she frequently operated heavy equipment for her Dad's road construction company. She's a very good driver IMHO.

That being said, comments about stability of the 250 is what does interest me. And with a 150 would not even consider a trailer length over 25 feet. I have some health considerations, so the TT will really get mostly short trips, and only occasionally. So that's more of "just having enough for the task" decision. Our budget really is pretty tight, or I wouldn't be fretting about this financial decision.

We intend to get a new truck, and a used trailer to keep the cost reasonable.

Do you recall mpg figures for the 150 and 250, towing and not?

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #13

If your research shows the well equipped F150 to be nearly the same price as the F250, then get the bigger truck. The frame and suspension improvements on the F250 that will surely make the towing experience more safe and pleasant will be worth the few extra $ you mention.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #14

Interesting I was watching youtube 'Fast Lane Trucks'. The gas F-250 beat the new Gas 6.4 litre 2500 Ram and also the Chevy 2500 6.0 litre gas engine zero to sixty.

I was also comparing the F-150 vs F-250 a few years ago. The big difference I saw was 'holy cow' look how big the cargo box is. Of course I was interested in hauling firewood, gravel, camping stuff, and building material from HomeDepot. The F-250 weighs approx. 7,700 lbs while the F-150 weighs 5,700.

Oh...wait until the new 5,200lb. aluminium enhanced F-150 is available in a few months. It will be interesting to see what Ford has up it's sleeve for their new 1/2ton truck.