Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Fiat View Post
We tow a 31 Ft. Denali that will weigh in at about 8,500 lbs. Our 2011 crew cab 1500 hemi has plenty of pulling power. We have upgraded the tires to 10 ply. We have a quality Reese WD hitch with sway control. We've pulled the trailer all over Washington State and as far east as Detroit. BUT we still get pulled sideways when we are passed by large trucks or side wind. If I were to do it over, I'd go to the 2500. Good luck.....stay safe and well.
You could probably solve that buy going to a Hensley or Propride hitch.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
You could probably solve that buy going to a Hensley or Propride hitch.
That would put him over his payload even more. Don't the HA and PP weigh close to 175lbs?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
That would put him over his payload even more. Don't the HA and PP weigh close to 175lbs?
His payload capacity is about 1400-1600lbs depending on truck configuration.

Really the only person that can answer that is him after he weighs everything including passengers, full tank of fuel and hitch. If he's got about 100lbs to spare, then he should be ok. Adding airbags to the rear would help also, though you are still at the limit of the axle and tires.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
His payload capacity is about 1400-1600lbs depending on truck configuration.

Really the only person that can answer that is him after he weighs everything including passengers, full tank of fuel and hitch. If he's got about 100lbs to spare, then he should be ok. Adding airbags to the rear would help also, though you are still at the limit of the axle and tires.

True. I was thinking 8500lbs would yield a 1000lb TW and adding 175lbs would be 1175lbs. Not much left for cargo/passengers in the truck. Also his receiver is maxed for sure.
But yes you're right he needs to weigh everything and not speculate.

It's just another case of a 1/2 ton being maxed out on payload before it reaches it's tow rating.

That's why I always say 6000lbs is the cut off IMO for 1/2 ton trucks. There are variables for sure but that's based on average payload.

Very rarely if ever do you read about a 3/4 ton maxed out with a TT.
But we all want the biggest and the best we can afford so it is what it is
Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #19

The 2013-14 ram has a payload of about 1900lbs, most of the trucks this year have a rating that high. In which you would be ok then.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #20

I did the opposie....i traded a 2500 for a 1500 ram. I hated the ride in the 3/4 ton as it was my daily driver. Plus, the mpg was not great.

I am ok on the trailer towing at 10,000 pounds, as the trailer weight 7300 dry and, of course, more loaded.

The payload is close at about 1500 pounds. The truck is rated with a tank of fuel and a driver, according to Chrysler. I generally do not haul anything in the bed of the truck, so all of the load (except the wife) is in the trailer. As it is, I probably have a couple of hundred pounds left....marginal but ok. I am adding Airlift 1000 air bags to the rear coil springs for stability (does NOT increase payload).

If in towed a lot more i would have kept the 3/4 ton, but for three or four times a season, it was more truck than i was willing to deal with as a daily driver....
Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #21

I bought a Ram 1500 with a tow rating of 10,300 pounds last fall. I planned to pull a 9,000 GVW TT with it. Unfortunately when I looked at the payload rating of the truck when we bought the TT I was shocked. The truck is a regular cab long bed so I figured it could handle 1700 to 1800 pounds. It is only rated to 1270 pounds. The TW on the empty trailer is 1115 pounds. Now I am going to have to sell or trade a new truck for a bigger one. I should have done more research before I ordered the 1500.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #22

I am surprised at the low payload....mine is also rated to tow 10000 pounds but the payload is almost 1500. I have about the same tongue weight as you do, and I'm just planning on loading all of my stuff in the trailer, and leave the truck empty when towing..
Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
1/2 ton trucks come with P series tires for ride quality (softer ride) and softer suspension components. Usually smaller engines and gear ratios for mpgs not towing power. 3/4 ton trucks come with LT load rated tires and stiffer suspension components. Add to that, they have bigger brakes, bigger motors, gear ratios for towing and better cooling systems.

My old 1500 would allow more sway felt from passing trucks because of the softer suspension. I could have beefed it up but the motor was marginal for towing my 9400# trailer.

My recommendations to upgrade are for novice towers. Someone who tows regularly knows when to upgrade parts or truck.
Sorry, but I have to disagree......

My previous 3/4 ton had a hemi v8 with a smaller horsepower and torque rating than my new 2014 ram.

The 3/4 ton had a 3.73 gear ratio.....the new half ton has a 3.92 ratio.

The 1/2 ton with the towing package has integrated brake controller, transmission cooler, appropriate engine cooling, and a class iv hitch.

The 1/2 ton has a towing capacity of 10,300 pounds, and the 3/4 was rated at 12,000 pounds....not a great difference, given the crummy ride and poor mpg. Plus, my trailer only weighs 7500#, so I'm good with either truck.

The 3/4 certainly had bigger brakes and stiffer suspension.....I believe the trailer brakes stop the trailer, not the truck brakes.....actually, I sense no difference in stopping the rig with either truck.....

The suspension I certainly can't argue with.....if I towed a lot or thousands of miles, I would still have my 3/4, but for a daily driver I much prefer the 1/2 ton ride.

A lot of folks talk about the weight of the truck causing issues...the 3/4 weighed 6200 # and my 1/2 ton weight over 5200....lighter, yes by a little bit, but passing semi feel the same
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My son and I have new 14 Rams. His is a 1500 hemi, 3.92diff, 8 speed trans. Mine is a 2500 CTD. All you have to do is crawl under the trucks to see the difference and it is huge. His truck rides great and is fast. Mine is just a beast, fast, and weighs almost 8000 pounds. My TT weighs 7K empty and I am sure he could tow it but I would not want to tow it far with his truck. Mine will tow it anywhere easy. Really, just go look under the trucks to see the difference.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree......

My previous 3/4 ton had a hemi v8 with a smaller horsepower and torque rating than my new 2014 ram.

The 3/4 ton had a 3.73 gear ratio.....the new half ton has a 3.92 ratio.

The 1/2 ton with the towing package has integrated brake controller, transmission cooler, appropriate engine cooling, and a class iv hitch.

The 1/2 ton has a towing capacity of 10,300 pounds, and the 3/4 was rated at 12,000 pounds....not a great difference, given the crummy ride and poor mpg. Plus, my trailer only weighs 7500#, so I'm good with either truck.

The 3/4 certainly had bigger brakes and stiffer suspension.....I believe the trailer brakes stop the trailer, not the truck brakes.....actually, I sense no difference in stopping the rig with either truck.....

The suspension I certainly can't argue with.....if I towed a lot or thousands of miles, I would still have my 3/4, but for a daily driver I much prefer the 1/2 ton ride.

A lot of folks talk about the weight of the truck causing issues...the 3/4 weighed 6200 # and my 1/2 ton weight over 5200....lighter, yes by a little bit, but passing semi feel the same
You missed my point.... The last line in my post says it - "My recommendations to upgrade are for NOVICE towers. Someone who tows regularly knows when to upgrade parts or truck."

Other things you pointed out - YES, newer trucks are rated higher output than older ones due to progress. This includes the new 6-8 speed transmissions available from various manufacturers that allow the higher NUMERICALY but lower towing gear and STILL get government approved fuel mileage. Also, engine technology that produces more power and other things like dropping power to conserve fuel when not needed.

Half ton trucks have higher TOWING ratings, but they are limited by carrying capacities. If the numbers work, go half ton to get better ride. I was making a statement about EXPERIENCE and knowing what will work. If someone does NOT have that experience and asks or is researching data, I will give the advice to go BIGGER for safety sake. A 3/4 ton can overcome forces that a 1/2 ton can't.

Your signature says your trailer is 7300# - take the 10-12% tongue weight (730# +) and add that to the truck weight of 5200# = 5930# and remove it from your trailer (because it is supported by the truck) 7300#-730# =6570#. A 640# difference that tools, other stuff, yourself and a passenger makes your truck ALMOST equal weight of your trailer. SOME people here are NOT as close as you and their trailer outweighs their truck, and MAY, one day, experience the "tail wagging the dog" as the weight of their trailer - moved by wind, air off another vehicle, or whatever, then MOVES the tow vehicle and may not be able to recover because they need a BIGGER tow vehicle. Your old 3/4 truck was 1000# heavier but your experience helps you to be able to tow with less and remain safe. That 1000# would help the less experienced. I hope it stays safe for you and your family. I will, however, still recommend that if someone is so close to their numbers and ask for advice, "BIGGER is better" especially for novice towers and newbies who will inevitably add more stuff (weight) to their NEW trailers each trip, without realizing it.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I've towed a 7500 or so pound 5th wheel with my 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi for 13 years. The only mod was to use light truck tires instead of car tires. Don't even know its there and we've been through mountains in NC, TN and up to vermont from Orlando. Just bought a Class A and the adventure continues.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #27

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Read the towing specs for the truck you want. Forget personal opinions and get the facts, you are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmatt View Post
The 2014 RAM 1500 Club Cab with the Hemi and a 3.92 rear end will tow up to 10300 lbs depending on the options. At worst it would be 9200 lbs. This is straight from the RAM website
If anyone believes this then I've got some coastal property in Idaho I'll be glad to sell for a slight profit. No way will a 1/2 ton safely tow this weight. It will pull it and go up hills slowly. It will sway and push the truck around but it won't do it safely. Why do so many want to go with no reserve capacity? You can get a 3/4 ton for less than $1000 difference. There is no comparison between the Ford 150 versus the 250 or the 1500 versus the 2500. The lighter models are for light loads and the trucks are for heavier loads and safety. You make the decision based on your families values.