Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #29

Retired Fire Service RVer's
A little OT...

How about them SEAHAWKS!

Now, back to our regular programming....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
A little OT...

How about them SEAHAWKS!

Now, back to our regular programming....
4 wheel drive couldn't have pulled Denver through that game!

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #31

Not even a big yacht could have save then from that wave. Let alone a 4 x 4.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjulestad View Post
There has been a few times that 4 low was very helpful in getting backed up into a location/driveway. You are able to almost idle it back in giving you the ability to go nice and easy.
Egg-xactly Bob....

I use 4x4 low every time I go to the rv storage area...
Really don't NEED it, but makes it so much easier !

it's a neat little climb into it and a neat little pull up the hill out of it...

Even when backing into my covered spot with less than a foot on either side I will use 4x4 low - just makes the throttle control SO much easier...

and have done the same backing into campground sites!

get what you like and to heck with OUR opinions
Old 02-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
4 wheel drive isnt needed for RVing. You wouldnt be ablle to pull an RV thru the terrain that 4 wheel drive is needed for even if you had 10 wheel drive.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
4 wheel drive isnt needed for RVing. You wouldnt be ablle to pull an RV thru the terrain that 4 wheel drive is needed for even if you had 10 wheel drive.
Disagree with 1st part.
Four wheel drive can help you get through spots that wouldn't be a problem if you were NOT towing. Pulling dead weight can get you stuck in relatively easy spots for 2wd trucks. Plus, the extra weight of diesel engines can get you stuck where a gas truck would have no problem.

Knowing how to drive different conditions can enable you to get where you want to go. I know nothing about snow and icy driving, but have pulled out numerous stuck vehicles in sand, with a 2wd that 4wd trucks failed to move! One was a 10 wheel semi truck no one thought I could pull with a Jeep with a broken front drive shaft. Right tires help and the wrong ones hurt - swampers dig too much in sand, I'll take street tires any day. But mud is different, just the opposite.
I wouldn't have a problem taking my trailer through sandy conditions with my 4x4. I wouldn't try with only 2wd.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own. Again, I would only offer that I've been towing 5th wheels with 2WD duallies since 1996 and have yet to be stuck or fail to take the RV anywhere I wanted. And, no, that doesn't include trying to drag it across a beach.

Is 4WD a MUST HAVE for RVing? No, not at all, unless you're planning to take your 5th wheel through some awfully adverse conditions of terrain or weather. If you are, then by all means go for the 4WD, but don't think that ONLY 4WD trucks can tow 5th wheels.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #36

My apologies RustyJC, 4x4 is not NECESSARY for RVing. It is however, a nice option that I have. I was giving my opinion and pointing out the misinformation in post #33 about being able to tow off road. Should have said 4x4 can allow you to go some places a 2wd would not be able to tow a trailer.

The OP said he was looking at a diesel and I pointed out the weight on the front axle (mine is 4,100# front vs 2,000# rear) which causes my truck to spin in a dirt parking lot - not unlike campgrounds I have seen. His avatar picture shows a TT not a 5ver, and is probably using a WDH - which LIFTS weight off the rear axle and transfers more weight to the front axle. A 5ver adds plenty of weight where it is needed for traction - over the rear axle. Having had to use 4x4 on PACKED, hard, but uneven ground to keep from tearing up a friends yard while turning around my TT, I offer it is a useful option to have, not necessary though.

A little tip for those reading with travel trailers and 2wd - if you spin and need more weight on the rear axle and less on the front axle, disconnect the WDH, it may give you the traction to get to harder ground. Re connect once on hard level ground.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #37

99% of the time you won't need it but you will thank the heavens that you have it that remaining 1%
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #38

Guess this again all comes down to personal prefference... If you are retired, or work from home, don't get any chance of bad weather, etc,, then a 4x2 vehicle is why they build both ,,, 4X2 and 4X4... For me, I Have to get out in this bad weather,,, I've driven(owned) 4X2 pickups,, and I'll never own anything but a 4x4... But thats me... It's like buying insurance,,, you hope you never need it, but it's sure nice to have if you do.... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #39

This is a similar debate like a slider hitch or a SB VS a LB truck. It is just a matter of personal preference for the end user.

I prefer a SB, long wheel base truck with a slider hitch and 4X4 with an automatic transmission for my use, a 2008 Mega Cab short box and a long wheel base truck.

Jim W.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #40

All of this has been mostly said, but:
1. Depends on where you live/camp- Ice/Snow you should have 4wd with a locking rear diff. and snow tires!
2. Ride, handeling, fuel efficiency, etc. is better on 2WD
3. Resale is moot as a 2WD is WAY cheaper to begin with! If you buy new, you probably don't care, either way.
4. Most 2WD heavy duty trucks should have a locking rear differential and since the engine is not really forward of the front wheels, they still have good grip. Especilally with the long wheelbases. Just keep some weight on the rear end... oh wait, you're towing!
5. Regular 4WD trucks with open diffs are still really only 2WD. One front, one rear.
6. 2WD needs no front axle or transfer case service.
7. 4WD have higher center of gravity (poorer handling, worse aerodynamics, less safety, and more weight).
On the safety topic, AWD or 4WD might help to get you going, but does nothing to help you turn or stop in slippery conditions beyond what a 2WD can do.

All that said, I have a RWD and a true 4WD (locking diffs) and two FWD vehicles, so I like them all.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I use 4x4 low every time I go to the rv storage area...
I hope you got a great rate on that storage spot.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #42

If you ever need to back a trailer uphill is loose gravel you will be glad to have a 4x4.