Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #43
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Have used 4 x 4 twice to back my 25' tt into a site. Back when we had a pop-up...yes, a little Coleman pop-up. We reserved a site in NH state park. When we arrived the person said "O" you have the "Presidential Suite". Well, it was on top of a hill up a super steep gravel site pad. The site itself was level, but you had to have 4 x 4 to back up the hill.

Also found out on my new Tundra in a unplowed driveway in 2 wheel drive I went 30 feet and that was it in 10" of snow. Put it in 4 x 4 and was on my way...All V-8 Tundra's only come with 4 x 4. I see why.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #44
Originally Posted by bsjulestad View Post
There has been a few times that 4 low was very helpful in getting backed up into a location/driveway. You are able to almost idle it back in giving you the ability to go nice and easy.
X2 In Kansas if you don't have four wheel drive, sometimes you don't go. Like this winter. But for a tow vehicle it is priceless when it comes to pushing your rig up a incline on loose rock in the state parks, or COE parks to park a fiver. Also great for launching the boat and retrieving. Don't have a fiver anymore, but still drive nothing but four wheel drives.

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
The 4WD option will bring almost as much on resale as it cost new. Now days, the only additional fuel cost is for the mere 200-300 lbs weight difference. If you only need it and use it one time, slide off the road, or worst case, really get into some doo doo, it just paid for itself. I drove 2WD diesels back in the early 80's. Got tired of getting stuck on slick spots. The weight of a diesel engine is a detriment in a 2WD, a compliment in a 4WD.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #46
Thor Owners Club
In July 2012 I was at Williams Grove Speedway in PA. It had been raining, and their campground is a large grassy field, with some large hills. As more campers arrived the path through the grass turned to mud. A 2WD F-150 managed to get his truck and camper stuck in the mud. I tossed him a strap and pulled him and his trailer up the hill with the 4WD TrailBlazer I had at that time. When I went shopping to replace the TrailBlazer, I never even considered 2WD.

2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote