Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #15

I have a 4x4 F250 but I've never needed 4WD for towing. I like it for going offroad and use it all the time at the beach, but I don't think you need 4x4 for towing unless you're expecting to set up on the beach or boondock somewhere that you might have to deal with mud.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #16

To address not needing a 4x4 by knowing how... , keeping in mind I stated most (95%, my opinion) do not need it for pulling on the road.
I also have worked on a farm and we have buried everything from a pickup to a 8 wheeled AWD tractor to a D-7 (could not get our hands on a D-8 ). When the crops are in the fields and you need to get them out, it is chance to drive where you should not or kiss them good bye. I have seen the hardpan disappear (at that point stay out of the fields nothing works). We have also been in WV, Gilbert area, where when you do not have a good enough rig they will come down with the tractor and pull your trailer up the hill.

I have taken ambulances where others have not been able to get 4wd pickups. (weight is another key ingredient)

For the winter I add 1000 lbs of weight to the bed of the pickup as if the roads are not closed I have to get to work and I have gotten stuck at work after they close the roads.

There is a use for 4wd, my grandfather use to tell me use 2wd to go in until you need 4wd, at that point get OUT of there.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
My last company truck was an "02 F-150 (7700) 4X4. I probably put at least 25,000 miles on that truck in 4-w-d. That was used going to mountain-top radio sites, down roads that turned into creek beds, etc. Sorry but even with an experienced driver... a 2X4 wouldn't have cut it on that job. I'm picking up a new 2500 Ram on Wednesday and it's going to be a 4X4...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If 4 wheel drive was needed for towing, you'd see 4 wheel drive semi-tractors. If you add up the miles most 4x4 SUVs and trucks NEED it, you'd still need miles to get out of town! If you're into going off road and up dirt trails, fine, but you'll sacrifice MPG and ride comfort to do it. JMHO
The 3-axel tractors I drove had two differentials for added traction as needed.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #19

I'm in agreement with "wouldn't have a truck that isn't 4 wheel drive". I hunt every year in Wyoming and it"s a 950 mile haul each way. The hunts we draw are in either Oct or Nov so weather can be bad. Had snow two of last three years. We travel a few miles of dirt roads and conditions can change really fast in the mountains. On the last trip, if all you had was 2wd then you just might have to come back for your trailer in the spring..
John
Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #20

2 X 4 VS. 4 X 4 tow trucks

Every vehicle I've bought, was a 4x4,...except the MDTs that I've had, and the HDT that I own now. I haven't needed to use 4WD while towing my Toyhauler on the road, but I have used it to tow other trailers on the road in some bad snowy conditions. And then I use them from time to time off-road. To me,...having 4WD gives you more options of where you can go. I've gotten stuck at the the Glamis sand dunes once when I had my Sportchassis several years ago. I had to unhook from my trailer and got pulled out by a 4x4 pickup. Then, that same truck was used to tow my trailer the rest of the way to camp. If you only camp in campgrounds with hookups, and you never drive in inclimate weather, then a 2WD will work for you. If you boondock, and drive in bad weather, then 4WD is the way to go.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
I think most of us think of a 4 x 4 as front and rear axle driven. A semi with 2 rear axles powered isn't the same thing in my mind, since the steer axle isn't powered.

For many years my son played travel hockey. Each winter we traveled across Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana in snowy, icy conditions in a RWD conversion van. Tooling down the highway we'd watch 4x4s blow by us and then down the road we'd see them off in a ditch, against a wall, sometimes even flipped. While a 4x4 can get you out of some situations, overconfidence and just plain stupidity can get you into far more.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think most of us think of a 4 x 4 as front and rear axle driven. A semi with 2 rear axles powered isn't the same thing in my mind, since the steer axle isn't powered.

For many years my son played travel hockey. Each winter we traveled across Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana in snowy, icy conditions in a RWD conversion van. Tooling down the highway we'd watch 4x4s blow by us and then down the road we'd see them off in a ditch, against a wall, sometimes even flipped. While a 4x4 can get you out of some situations, overconfidence and just plain stupidity can get you into far more.

I think most people think of it like that too,...but then again, the average person doesn't know that about a semi either. To me, it's still a 4x4,...even if the only two axles that are powered are in the rear. If all three axles were powered, would you call it a 6x6, or would you still call it a 4x4? If you still call it a 4x4, I will completely understand why.

I'm totally in agreement with you on people being overconfident while driving 4x4s. You should still drive with caution, which is common sense,...but then again, it's no different than people towing overweight either.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #23

Thanks for all your replies. I guess what I ordered will be fine for what I do. Never say never, but I don't plan to do much boon docking and if I do I don't plan on extreme locations or situations. I don't live on a farm or ranch so I don't need it for anything like that. Wife is planning on working for another year and a half, TO HELP PAY FOR THE TRUCK, haaaaa. We can at least take more trips with the TT we have and know that steep grades on regular highways won't be a problem. Never know how life will go anyway. May take a bloodbath on resale of the truck and get a MH later.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #24

Our truck is a dedicated towing machine. Thus it sits all winter and always will. Thus I decided on 2wd for the extra capacity, less cost and maintenance.

We previously hauled the same 5r with an 08 4x4 SRW. I did use the 4x4 on one or more occasion, but I really didn't need to. Figured I had it, use it.

So far, I have not had a problem with the 4x2 and we tend to camp in State parks, on unimproved sites. I guess I need to plan ahead more and keep myself out of trouble. Considering the cost, it is a good plan for us.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #25

I've needed four wheel drive a couple of times when backing and had to get on soft ground. Primarily we camp mostly in the mountains and like to ride the forest service roads. You can do it with two wheel drive but when your 10 miles in four wheel drive adds a sense of security. I pulled a couple of folks out who unsuccessfully tried to fort creeks in two wheel drive vehicles.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
4x4 is very useful for some situations. Backing a heavy trailer up a steep grade is one of them. Put that puppy in 4x4 low range and you can back the heavy trailer up a steep grade without cooking the automagic tranny. Dragging a heavy boat out of a lake is another place that 4x4 low comes in handy. Not required, but handy.
I was a lot like you - I had 2wd all my life went everywhere, learned to drive learned to use proper tire pressure for specific tasks I was just fine till the day I needed 4WD - exactly as you described backing up a gravel surfaced hill with a boat.

Retrieving a 7K boat with a 1/2 ton truck at Marina Del Rey during low tide -its required. (unless you have a friend with tow straps)

Not going back to 2WD.

UD
Old 07-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #27

Bigbill, you will never understand how you used that old tow vehicle all those miles once getting a "real" tow vehicle. You will be totally amazed how well your new truck tows. Folks just do not realize the importance of a real tow vehicle, until towing with one. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #28

I use my truck for my remodeling business. There have been many times backing my 16' cargo trailer up an incline in a gravel driveway. 4 wheel drive was the only way to get it in no matter.

I know the day is coming that I will need 4 wheel low to get my 5er backed into an uphill gravel campsite.

Living in Illinois with the snow we get and will get, I would never have a 2X4 truck. The farmers who farm for me all have 4X4s.

Do what you want.....but if ever get stuck, don't go get a guy who paid the extra for 4 wheel drive to help you.

Tags
tow