Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #29
4 X 2 = 4 wheels total, 2 wheels powered
4 X 4 = 4 wheels total, 4 wheels powered

Does that make a duelly 6 X 4 (or 6 X 6)?

So my RV is 6 X 4 and a semi-tractor with 3 axels is 10 X 8?

Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #30
In my neck of the woods I never saw a 2 x 4 truck. Dealers don't stock them and I think if you special order one you will be stuck with it.

I needed 4 x 4 twice this year. Actually I got stuck so 4 x 4 was not enough. I would like 4 x 4 with a locking rear axle. That would be the ticket in my neck of the woods. And I mean woods.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
4x4 vs 4x2 came down to availability and price for me. I dont need 4x4 and, really the only times i needed 4x4 was getting myself out of self-induced trouble.
With that said, i have a '99 ford v10 4x2 drw because the condition was amazing and i couldn't touch a 4x4 diesel at that price. I've had it for 3 years and it gets me around in the winter just fine, as long as i don't go looking for trouble.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #32
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My reasons for 4x4 are not because I plan on driving where I need it, but getting out of a place I don't want to be. A 2500 diesel is easier to sell used if it's a 4x4. When I travel alone it's nice to know that I have a better chance of not getting stuck. I carry a spare tire and a jack, never needed one but I am sure the day will come when I do.
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
One big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dog
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
Have a 4 wheel drive. Dont need it but I wanted it. I rationalized that with the 4 wheel drive I would not have to carry chains to go skiing (they sometimes call for chains or 4X4 to let you go up the road).

Because I have ribbed tires I have used it a couple times to get started when stopped in snow. Coming home last spring I stopped at a rest stop that had about 8" of snow. Tires were warm so iced the snow which then froze leaving a slick spot. I used 4 wheel to get rolling. Easier than putting chains on.

Managed a large highway maintenance area for a number of years. Most of the snow plow truck drivers used 2X4 to get to the snow plow shed when called out for a storm.

Big thing about 4 wheel is the confidence you get. Just remember to get stuck in 2 wheel, put it in 4 wheel and then go home. Getting stuck in 4 wheel means you are farther away from home when you call the tow truck.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #34
BTW, you shouldn't hear any 4x2 owner having to pay to get their trailer lifted, truck lowered, etc to get a level ride.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW w/1993 GL1500SE
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #35
Lived in Idaho for over 25 years now. Only owned 4x4 trucks. Towed 28 ft toy hauler and now to 36 foot alpine fifth wheel.

4 wheel is there if needed. I do boondock and can tell you I'd have been in trouble a few times on hunting trips with trailer and no 4x4.

Gas mileage is actually better now with 5th wheel. Average 10.5 with fiver loaded. Average 20 plus without

Yep, it's a diesel dura max with Allison 6 speed and takes new fiver where ever we want to go

Just saying.
Cvsteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #36
lost credibiility

Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I have been towing RV trailers since 1968 and have never owned a 4x4. If you know how to drive, you don't need 4x4. I grew up on a farm and never had a 4x4 there either. Yeah, 4x4 would be nice to have in some situations, but a good driver either avoids those situations or figures out how to "make do" with a 4x2.

However, my current 4x2 has the electronic locking rear axle. That works much better than the old-fashioned Posi-Traction I've had since I bought a new 1965 Corvette Stingray coupe way back when. With Posi-Traction (Ford calls it limited slip) you have to learn how to make the differential lock up, and it's not intuitive. But again, learn to drive.

I lived in Denver for 20 years while the kids were growing up, and we went skiing often over the Continental Divide. Never had a 4x4 for that either. Again, you have to learn how to drive in snow, ice, mud, mountains , whatever without the crutch of 4x4.

4x4 is very useful for some situations. Backing a heavy trailer up a steep grade is one of them. Put that puppy in 4x4 low range and you can back the heavy trailer up a steep grade without cooking the automagic tranny. Dragging a heavy boat out of a lake is another place that 4x4 low comes in handy. Not required, but handy.

4x4 drivetrain weighs about 400 pounds more than 4x2, so you're always hauling around that extra 400 pounds. The laws of physics tells you that your MPG cannot be as good as without that extra 400 pounds of payload.

Some day when I win the lottery I may buy a 4x4. But in the meantime, I'll get by with my 4x2s.

Ya lost all credibility by saying that you don't need 4x4 if you know how to drive. I could take you to hundreds of placed that you won't go without a 4x4. It allows us to get into the woods where there is no one else. "Avoiding those situations" is fine if you don;t get off the beaten path much, but its not for all of us. Whether you need 4x4 or 4x2 totally depends on where you want to go.
PRodacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #37
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that the point of this thread is that there are a percentage of towers out there who will utilize their 4WD on a fairly regular basis, some who want it for those few occasions where you have to have it, and those (like me) who don't want all the extra running gear and will avoid those few occasions as much as possible. Everyone has given good reasons for what they drive, but it is an individual choice and you need to do what suits you the best.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #38
We also use our TV to not only pull our trailer but our 20 foot boat. We use the boat for fishing and therefore get out early in the spring. Boats ramps may not have been cleaned up from the winter. When you try to pull 5000 lbs out of a foot of mud a 2 x4 truck may have lots of power but will spin the tires on wet sandy ramps. We had to have 3 people stand on my buddies F150 bumper to get a 24 foot boat out.
2013 Salem Cruise Lite 221RBxl
06 GMC
CanadianCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #39
Well put!
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
.... I carry a spare tire and a jack, never needed one but I am sure the day will come when I do.

Silly boy ! why'd you waste money on that ?!?!

Notice where the 4x2 is and where the 4x4 is here ?
this video

4x2 versus 4x4 is a personal choice not a lack of driving skill...
and most should take exception to blanket statements like that..
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Silly boy ! why'd you waste money on that ?!?!

Notice where the 4x2 is and where the 4x4 is here ?
this video

4x2 versus 4x4 is a personal choice not a lack of driving skill...
and most should take exception to blanket statements like that..
I don't think 4X2 or 4X4 has anything to do with what happened here, perhaps failing to set parking brake did. In any situation, overconfidence can be a contributing factor of an accident. Many folks feel a 'Wyoming Cadillac' (4X4 crew cab) is what they need. Fine by them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #42
I just got my first 4X4 of any kind. I may never use it but I did it for the economics of resale. There are lots of half ton 2wd's running around in my neck of the woods but you will rarely see a 3/4 or one ton that is not a 4X4.

I ordered a GMC 3500 Duramax in a 2wd in 2012. It was a short bed single rear wheel. It was a little overmatched for our fifth wheel so I ordered what you see below. When we worked up a trade the NADA value was $4400 less than a 4wd. When I ordered it in 2012 the additional cost would have been about $3K more, a $1400 loss right there. On top of that the dealer would not budge off another $2500 hit because he was afraid he would have it for a long time and might have to wholesale it or send it to an auction. I got really lucky ran into a friend who was looking for a truck like mine. I was able to avoid the $2500 loss.

I tend to trade about every 5 years and I decided I may not be as lucky next time. Who knows, I may actually need the 4wd sometime.

2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote