Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

2000 4Runner and Micro Minnie 1700BH?

Hello,

First post here and a newbie to the travel trailer world. My wife and I have been looking at trailers for a bout a year. However, the concern has been the towing capability of our TV. Because of that, we had been researching pop-ups but ideally, we'd like a small TT with toilet, shower and bunk beds for our kids. Last week, I came across Winnebago's new Micro Minnie with a bunk house floor-plan (1700BH) that should work, so I'm hoping one of the experts here can double check the numbers to see if I can safely combine them. Thanks for help!

TV:
2000 4runner V6 2x2
GVWR: 5250 lbs
Max gross trailer weight: 5000 lbs
Max tongue weight: 500 lbs
Max combined weight: 8800 lbs
Actual curve weight: 4350 lbs
(full fuel, two adults, two kids, the regular kid support paraphernalia and WD hitch receiver)
Cargo: ~ 500 lbs (high estimate of complete tent camping gear including cooler with food/ice that would go in the TT)

Upgrades to TV before purchasing TT:
Aux transmission cooler
Scan gauge to measure transmission temp
Brake controller
Air bag rear suspension kit

TT:
Winnebago Micro Minnie, 1700BH
GVWR: 3800 lbs
Dry weight: 3000 lbs
Tongue weight: 340 lbs (estimate from similar TTs as I haven't seen it published)

Traveler2016

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The " What can I tow " question is asked 100's of times a year.

The CURB weight of 4350 , that you mentioned , was that a scale weight with all the listed passengers and equipment on board ?

It is important to remember that , not all the TV carrying capacity is available on the rear axle and even the best WD hitch set up will only transfer a small % of the trailer weight to the front axle.
So although you have some of the ratings and weights that you need to make a decision , you don't have every thing you need .
You'll have to find the TV's , axle weight ratings and have the vehicle loaded for travel re-weighed. One axle at a time and total.
Almost always a trailer will overload the TV's rear axle before the total GVWR is reached .
Check the rear tires weight rating ; numbers are on the side wall of the tires; you need that info too.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

Thanks for response and the welcome.

Quote:
The " What can I tow " question is asked 100's of times a year.
I did see that it gets asked a lot and I can definitely sympathise as to why.

Quote:
The CURB weight of 4350 , that you mentioned , was that a scale weight with all the listed passengers and equipment on board ?
It was a scale measured weight with listed passengers but no camping equipment.

Quote:
You'll have to find the TV's , axle weight ratings and have the vehicle loaded for travel re-weighed. One axle at a time and total.
Front axel is 2650 lbs and rear 3000 lbs per the door decal. I have not measured them loaded with fuel, passengers and camping equipment on a scale.

Quote:
Check the rear tires weight rating ; numbers are on the side wall of the tires; you need that info too.
Tires are Yokohama Geolandars. Max load is 1985 lbs at 50 psi cold. Load range C
Old 07-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Tires are good then , well over what's required to handle the axle weight at max.
With only 900 lbs available ( 5250- 4350 = 900 ) important to know where the weight can be added.
You have the tongue weight and the actual WD hitch/ bars weight to consider, and then full propane will add weight , I can see that you'll easily be looking at 550> 600 lbs load on the rear axle of the TV.
Also a close look at the trailer spec's ; 800 lb payload , isn't much ( GVWR vs Dry weight ) propane, clothing , dishes , food, etc. will eat up most of that, filling the fresh water tank for travel may not be possible.
The max trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. assumes only a 150 lb driver in the TV.
Your max combined weight of 8,800 less the 5,000 max trailer weight , means the factory curb weight for towing would be 3,800 lbs. Any TV weight over 3,800 has to be subtracted from the max trailer weight.
JMHO: your TV is 17 years old, and you haven't mentioned mileage , before you spend $$$ with upgrading , trans cooler etc. consider a newer more capable TV.
I know there are probably budget considerations , but you need to be safe when traveling. I'm on the road with 17/18 year old vehicles too.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Your max combined weight of 8,800 less the 5,000 max trailer weight , means the factory curb weight for towing would be 3,800 lbs. Any TV weight over 3,800 has to be subtracted from the max trailer weight.
Not sure what you mean in the paragraph above. Specially the last sentence.

Quote:
JMHO: your TV is 17 years old, and you haven't mentioned mileage , before you spend $$$ with upgrading , trans cooler etc. consider a newer more capable TV.
I know there are probably budget considerations , but you need to be safe when traveling. I'm on the road with 17/18 year old vehicles too.
I appreciate your opinion. I asked the question to be sure I'm interpreting the math and real life application of those numbers correctly. At the end of the day, my family's safety is top priority.

The truck has 172K miles on it. It's been maintained very well since we got it 14 years ago. A newer TV is part of the plan, but we were hoping to not have to buy a new truck to buy a trailer. Knowing the limitations of the 4Runner, the idea is to stay relatively close to home and away from mountains and remote areas. I figured from the numbers that weight distribution would be critical and most likely wouldn't travel with fresh water in the tank.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your truck had about 1000 pounds of cargo capacity available when it left the factory. Anything you have added such as a canopy or subwoofers must be subtracted from that 1000. Also your passengers and the hitch, (usually about 100 pounds). Whatever is left is what you can carry as tongue weight. Your trailer has a gross weight of 3800 pounds and a dry weight of 3000 pounds but that dry weight probably does not include propane or a battery so at least 100 pounds more dry weight. That means you can put 700 pounds in the trailer including food, water and clothing. At max weight of 3800 pounds you should have a tongue weight of at least 450 pounds.

Essentially if you limit your gear and food to 600 pounds or so ONLY carried in the trailer it will work, but you will be maxing out every category. You cannot carry firewood or tools in the truck bed, you are at capacity with your family and tongue weight.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Your truck had about 1000 pounds of cargo capacity available when it left the factory. Anything you have added such as a canopy or subwoofers must be subtracted from that 1000. Also your passengers and the hitch, (usually about 100 pounds). Whatever is left is what you can carry as tongue weight. Your trailer has a gross weight of 3800 pounds and a dry weight of 3000 pounds but that dry weight probably does not include propane or a battery so at least 100 pounds more dry weight. That means you can put 700 pounds in the trailer including food, water and clothing. At max weight of 3800 pounds you should have a tongue weight of at least 450 pounds.

Essentially if you limit your gear and food to 600 pounds or so ONLY carried in the trailer it will work, but you will be maxing out every category. You cannot carry firewood or tools in the truck bed, you are at capacity with your family and tongue weight.
Thanks! I knew it was close but didn't realize how close. The Winnie Drop WD1710 is probably a better option if we want to stay with a TT as supposed to a pop up. It's 3500 lbs GVWR and 2350 lbs dry.