Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #15

Hope both the truck and trailer prove to be both safe and reliable for you. Just go out and enjoy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #16

Maiden Voyage

We slept out in the driveway a few times and pretended, now finally able to combine time off and here we are in the cold and rain. Loving every minute of it.. Sorry it took so long to post the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	78570  

Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #17

2nd pic

Didn't have much luck posting more than one.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	96
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	78571  
Old 11-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #18

Last, but not least..

Stiff learning curve... I forgot among other things dishwashing soap, lol and Ken forgot his pants! 😉
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	102
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	78572  
Old 11-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Kristie, you have an excellent rig. The only thing wrong with it is it has the very short legs of a 4.88 axle ratio. Your drivetrain could easily tow your trailer if it had the longer legs of a 4.11 axle ratio. You would probably like the truck a lot better if you replaced the ring gear and pinion in the rear axle with a 4.11 gearset. Then you could cruise at 70 MPH without the engine screaming at you.

Your rear axle is a Dana Spicer S-135. Randy's Ring & Pinion has a replacement ring gear and pinion set in the 4.11 ratio.
Diff Wizard suggests High performance Yukon replacement ring & pinion gear set for Dana S135 in a 4.11 ratio. - YG DS135-411
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #20

Smokey, I had checked the ratio ( per VIN) but I can't recall what it was. I do remember thinking it was higher than I thought it shoul/would be. I'll crawl under the truck and check for a tag on the axle. I know in a couple of years when we start traveling , the difference in ratios will make a lot of difference in mpg and stress on the truck. We normally drive at 55-58. I do occasionally open it up to 70 and it does scream a bit. I just changed the oil and filters last week. It has the Amsoil bypass filter set up. I had to order the Amsoil filter, but got everything else at NAPA. I plan to send samples to Blackstone when I change oil again. I want to change the ATF in the next couple of weeks. I appreciate all the tips you have given me. The truck is a Lariat edition. I don't know how I overlooked the Lariat on the exterior badges but I did.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockken View Post
Smokey, I had checked the ratio ( per VIN) but I can't recall what it was.
All Y2K F-550s with diesel engine had 4.88 axle ratio. That Dana S-135 is a huge, heavy rear diff that won't give you any trouble. Open axle was standard and limited slip was optional.

Ford later offered 4.30 ratio in the F-550, but that may not be with the S-135 axle. Anyhow, with a quick search I didn't find any 4.30 ratio ring gear and pinion sets for the S-135. I suspect the 4.11 ratio will be about right for your load. You would still have a tow rating of about 12,000 pounds, and your trailer probably has a GVWR of around 11,000 pounds.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockken View Post
Smokey, I had checked the ratio ( per VIN) but I can't recall what it was. I do remember thinking it was higher than I thought it shoul/would be. I'll crawl under the truck and check for a tag on the axle. I know in a couple of years when we start traveling , the difference in ratios will make a lot of difference in mpg and stress on the truck. We normally drive at 55-58. I do occasionally open it up to 70 and it does scream a bit. I just changed the oil and filters last week. It has the Amsoil bypass filter set up. I had to order the Amsoil filter, but got everything else at NAPA. I plan to send samples to Blackstone when I change oil again. I want to change the ATF in the next couple of weeks. I appreciate all the tips you have given me. The truck is a Lariat edition. I don't know how I overlooked the Lariat on the exterior badges but I did.
When I got my twin to yours (hauler bed and all) the dealer advertised and said it was an XLT. Turned out to be a Lariat. Don't know if that had any effect on the dealers pricing. Do think I got pretty good deal at the time.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #23

You have a great setup. I purchased my '99 F350 (3rd 7.3 I have owned) with 111,000 miles on it, this past summer. I also have a highly modded CTD Ram 3500. Both tow fantastically but the Ford rides waaaaay nicer than my Dodge. Wt have traveled more than 13,000 miles in it thus far pulling our 34' BH FW throughout all the hills out west.

As soon as I bought this latest rig, I took it to DP in Houston and asked David Lott to wake her up. Hi tuning package is by far the best tuner I have owned. Instead of the autometer gauge set he recommended I go with the Edge graphical interface, which I agree is much better. I have my pyro alarm set to 1200 deg so if not paying attention, I start backing off the throttle once I hear that alarm. I don't think I've ever exceeded 1215 deg. I also had him install the trans cooler from the 6.0 and that dramatically cools the trans. Even in the worst hills, the hottest I've seen is 148 deg on the trans.

Here's a pic of our setup. We are 5 months into a long 7 month trip and travel with 2 kids (4 people total) and all the gear I can fit into both the truck and FW.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	78
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	78641  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #24

Thanks for the info. I,ll be talking to "Santa" about the ring and pinion set. I'll also be looking into gauge / display packages.

Ken
Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #25

For a F-550 that keystone wont put enough pin weight on the truck to even know its there.