Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

2000 F250 trailer brake wiring help needed

Hey all, found the factory plug behind the dash, plugged my controller in and the light signals when i hit the brakes. So, my trucks towing wiring is garbage. I wanna rerun it from the plugs under the bed into the bed. Does anyone know where i can find the blue brake wire, 12v, and yellow wire so I can add the fifth wheel cord to the bed? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
IDK on a 2000, I have Aldata at work that may tell us where the wire is. If I remember correctly if you didn't have the towing package the blue wire is dead headed near the master cylinder.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

Is all that wiring not on the bumper now?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Is all that wiring not on the bumper now?
Just a 4 pin and gooseneck. There is no 7 pin for an rv hookup
Old 07-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

I had the 4way factory also. Up beside the spare you should have a square plug with all functions right there.
Might have to add trailer charge and brake controller relays and fuses though.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
I had the 4way factory also. Up beside the spare you should have a square plug with all functions right there.
Might have to add trailer charge and brake controller relays and fuses though.
I think I found em. I saw a bl ue and yellow but it was plugged into another harness. Im thinking the gooseneck that runs up to the bed
Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #7

Anyone know where I can get an rv socket with the 2 plugs that goin up to the frame? Ebay shows $100...... yikes!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

So the wiring is wrong somewhere in the camper. When I pulled it home all I had was taillights. Now nothing. Hooked to my buddies truck and nothing. Is there a relay or a fuse somewhere??? The outside light by the pin didnt work, so we took the fuse out by the trailer brake, cleaned it and now the light works but still not driving, tail, stop or reverse lights..... im stuck
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #9

Verify the truck wiring, all of it.
Then, you should be able to plug in, find a Jbox (or possibly a fuse block) for trailer lights only.
What kind of trailer is it? Fifth wheels have a jbox in the pin box area. Bumper pulls are down inside the driver side frame rail, just under the body usually.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Verify the truck wiring, all of it.
Then, you should be able to plug in, find a Jbox (or possibly a fuse block) for trailer lights only.
What kind of trailer is it? Fifth wheels have a jbox in the pin box area. Bumper pulls are down inside the driver side frame rail, just under the body usually.
My nephews truck works 100% he just checked his. The only fuse is a single inline going to what appears as a relay. Ill snap a pic quick
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
verify the truck wiring, all of it.
Then, you should be able to plug in, find a jbox (or possibly a fuse block) for trailer lights only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_174450.png
Views:	53
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	42780

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_174520.png
Views:	53
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	42782

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_174503.png
Views:	45
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	42781
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Just because the plug is under the dash does not mean you have everything to make it work. You can find the OEM kits online or at your dealer or make one . You need the adapter harness for the rear of the truck with the 7 pole RV socket, the brake controller fuse and relay and the battery charge fuse and relay. The go into the power distribution box under the hood. I had to do it to my 2000 F350 and used the OEM kit from my local dealer.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
Just because the plug is under the dash does not mean you have everything to make it work. You can find the OEM kits online or at your dealer or make one . You need the adapter harness for the rear of the truck with the 7 pole RV socket, the brake controller fuse and relay and the battery charge fuse and relay. The go into the power distribution box under the hood. I had to do it to my 2000 F350 and used the OEM kit from my local dealer.
How much was ur kit? The brake controller has power to it. When I press the brakes a light turns on. The more "intensity" I set it at the darker the color from yellow to red. Ive found the plugs in the back of my truck underneath. Ebay shows the "harness" 2 plugs into one 7 spade rv plug but its $100...