Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

2002 Ford Explorer with a 4.7 L V8

Just curious. I am currently shopping for a larger tow vehicle. The tow rating is 7,200 but it seems like the main problem would be the wheel base. Has anyone towed with this vehicle before? Supposedly this vintage handles it better than the newer ones. We want to pull a 20-24ft trailer long distances.

Cheers
derekDEADEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

You've got a couple things going against you, and its not the wheelbase. #1 Assuming the Explorer being a 2002 model probably has a fairly high amount of mileage on it. #2 Its a 2002 Ford Explorer, which was designed to haul 6 youngings to the soccer field and grab groceries on the way, not necessarily pull a few thousand pounds of hardly aerodynamic RV up hills, across the mountains, along blistering heated highways, stop and go city traffic,vehicles cutting you off then slamming on breaks to turn into McDs, etc, etc. You can probably get away with a pop-up, personally I wouldn't hook up to anything more than about 3500 lbs dry, which I don't think will net you 20-24 ft. If you were looking for a good excuse to go get yourself a good, solid 1500 crew-cab pickup with tow package, you found it. Make sure you know what your trailer is going to be first weight wise, because you can outdo the towing capabilities of several of the 1500s pretty quickly. Main thing with a tow vehicle is do not cut it close, you want a little extra. I'm not one of those guys that claims you need a 3500 duelly to pull a Minnie Winnie, but you do want a little room. For your sake and your families safety.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

If I were to towing long distances I would want a very light trailer. Van you get by with a mid sized pop-up?

The ford 4.6 litre engine is a good engine with good power for 2002 but I agree with the previous post. A 2002 Explorer really was not designed as being a lomg distance heavy trailer towing machine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #4

I figured as much. The dealer will tell you anything to make a sale. I have a couple of wanted ads for an older f250 or similar posted around and I intend to sell this
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #5

I had a 2005 and towed a 5000# hybrid trailer. It did acceptable well. Took it on a few cross country trips with a family of 6. I towed trailer for three years then moved up to a half ton truck. The truck towed better. But didn't get as good mileage and family was more comfortable in the explorer. Cool thing was I bought the explorer in 2007 when the economy went to toilet for $11,000 and sold it for $10,000 3 year latter.
Jugghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekDEADEND View Post
2002 Ford Explorer with a 4.7 L V8... The tow rating is 7,200 ...
The highest tow rating for a 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 with a 4.7 L V8 is 7,000 pounds if it does not have a third-row seat and rear AC. Otherwise it's 6,500. And that assumes is has 3.73LS rear end. 4x2 has higher tow rating.

But neither one can tow a 7,000 pound TT without exceeding the payload capacity of the SUV if there is any weight in the SUV except a skinny driver.

Quote:
We want to pull a 20-24ft trailer long distances.
I had a 2003 F-150 with the 4.6L V8. I would not want to tow my TT with it. My TT has a 20' floor, no slides, and grosses 4,870 pounds when wet and loaded on a long road trip. Not enough power and torque from that 4.6L engine.

I suspect you'll be very disappointed with the performance when towing a TT with a 20' or longer floor. If you really need an SUV, then move up to an Expedition with the 5.4L V8 engine and at least 3.55 axle ratio. 3.73 axle is even better, but it was available only in high altitude areas back in 2002. Or best would be a 2002 Excursion with V10 or diesel engine, but "everybody" wants one of those, so they cost a lot more than lesser SUVs.

Thnnk of Ford SUVs in this way. An Explorer is a Ranger chassis with a heavy station wagon body. An Expedition is an F-150 chassis with a heavy station wagon body. An Excursion (RIP) is an F-250 chassis with a heavy station wagon body.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #7

I have owned a few Explorers but only towed with 2 a 99 Explorer Ltd 5.0l AWD and a 06 Explorer Ltd 4.6l 4wd and they both towed light to medium size trailers decent for me. If the truck is tip top shape mechanically (trans weak point) I would depending on the weight of the trailer.

If you are planning on loading up truck and/or heavy trailer or mountains then as others say a heavier duty vehicle would be better but I wouldn't hesitate if the trailer was 5K and under.

I towed with mines from 22k to approx. 120k miles but that one was the 06 model with had the 4.6l 3 valve engine(292hp) and 6 speed transmission. The older one had the 5.0L and 4 speed trans but didn't tow with it as long.
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #8

Mine has 102k and it is indeed in great mechanical shape
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekDEADEND View Post
I figured as much. The dealer will tell you anything to make a sale. I have a couple of wanted ads for an older f250 or similar posted around and I intend to sell this
You are correct there, never listen to the dealer. You will hear, "Oh yea, you can tow it, no problem." There are a lot of folks on this forum (see SmokeyWren and others) who have this mathematical towing thing worked out. All you have to do is post make and models and you will have your answer. Two options here. #1 Find the RV you and the family want and then the guys help you will match the necessary truck to pull it. Or #2, buy the truck you can afford, give these math geniuses the numbers, and they will tell you what you can safely tow. Then take that info and go RV shopping. Hope to see you on the trail!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #10

Just to clarify I towed cargo trailers, heavy U haul auto transport trailers and my 25' boat exclusively with both Explorers. I thought the boat/trailer was 6500 (listening to selling dealer) but when I weighed it after a few years it was closer to 8000. I was shocked at how well the truck pulled it but boats are much more aerodynamic and don't have the tongue weight of TT's hence for safety and longevity my max would probably be around 5,000 for a TT.

If you already have truck why don't you at least weigh the trailer (to make sure you are within limits) and try using the truck once to see if it is something that you wouldn't mind as a combination. I have towed with Explorers up to duallies so each has their own range. If a trailer is within the ratings of the truck the rest is subjective driver preference.

I don't want to mislead you to overloading the truck but my Explorer towed so well that when I did get an Excursion V10 for my TT I still used my Explorer to tow my 25' boat.
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford