Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
After all the talk about the fuel mileage with the 2004.5 Dodges, I thought I would put pen to paper and see what happens. I normally don't keep track of fuel mileage.

My truck has the following mods:
Edge EZ Tuner.
Freeflow exhaust.
K&N Filter Cone.
3 gauges on the A Piller.
54 gallon replacement fuel tank from Transferflow.
Firestone Ride-rites

From Urbana to Branson and return trip was 1156 miles. I bought 93 gallons of fuel, and that comes to an average of 12.4 MPG for the whole trip. I never checked just pulling the trailer, or running solo. Just wrote down the mileage when we left, and when I fueled the truck up the other night. I do know that it is 430 miles to the campground, so, about 860 miles was pulling the trailer. And, anybody who has been to Branson knows what stop and go traffic really is. I currenty have 21,053 miles on the truck.

Don't know how that compares with everybody else that keeps track (I'm guessing much better then I do) of their fuel mileage.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
After all the talk about the fuel mileage with the 2004.5 Dodges, I thought I would put pen to paper and see what happens. I normally don't keep track of fuel mileage.

My truck has the following mods:
Edge EZ Tuner.
Freeflow exhaust.
K&N Filter Cone.
3 gauges on the A Piller.
54 gallon replacement fuel tank from Transferflow.
Firestone Ride-rites

From Urbana to Branson and return trip was 1156 miles. I bought 93 gallons of fuel, and that comes to an average of 12.4 MPG for the whole trip. I never checked just pulling the trailer, or running solo. Just wrote down the mileage when we left, and when I fueled the truck up the other night. I do know that it is 430 miles to the campground, so, about 860 miles was pulling the trailer. And, anybody who has been to Branson knows what stop and go traffic really is. I currenty have 21,053 miles on the truck.

Don't know how that compares with everybody else that keeps track (I'm guessing much better then I do) of their fuel mileage.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:22 AM   #3

I ususally get 19 - 20 MPG empty and about 9.5 -10 towing. I wouold probably get a bit better towing on longer trips that aren't in the mountains, but that rarely happens.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
I ususally get 19 - 20 MPG empty and about 9.5 -10 towing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the truck I currently have doesn't do near as good on fuel mileage as my Powerstroke did. But, the Ford was a 2 wheel drive, and wasn't a quad cab...so, them are the tradeoffs.

Next time I go to Camping World, I'll have to check the empty MPG.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
Nat

Rick, do you have a 6sp, or automatic, and what rear gear? Did the Edge tuner make any difference in the milage? I have posted several posts on my milage and have never been pleased with it, but it seems as if my towing milage is on par with everyone else.

2002 Carraige 32' Triple slide
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nat:
Rick, do you have a 6sp, or automatic, and what rear gear? Did the Edge tuner make any difference in the milage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My truck has the automatic with the 3:73 rear axle. I don't know if the Edge product made any difference in fuel mileage, because I never really put pen to paper until this trip. I do know in setting one it makes a difference in getting on the interstate.

I think fuel mileage will improve with mileage. The mileage on my Powerstroke really didn't jump up until after the 30,000 mile mark. Before I had the Powerstroke, I had a 454 GMC with a 4:10 rear axle. I got between 6 and 8 pulling the 5th wheel that we had. With the Powerstroke, I got 12 right off the bat. I was almost dancing at the fuel island.

I don't think that 12-13MPG is all that bad. I talked to a guy with a V-10 in his motorhome, and he said on a good day, he could pull 8MPG.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #7

My truck might run 18 to 19 empty, running between 65 and 70. 60 or under will bump it to 20 to 21 or a little better.

Pulling the 5th wheel with quads and full of water at 65 or so, between 11 and 12.

Stock (except jake) stick shift single rear wheel quad cab 1 ton 4x4 with 3.73...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #8

My truck does 16/17 empty and 10/13 at 19000lbs depending on the wind.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 PM   #9
Nat

I checked the milage again on this tank, mostly country roads 45/55 mph. I drive easy and take off slowly, Vickie says I drive like an old man in a pickup, go figure. The computer guesser never said less than 19.55 the whole tank. 487 miles / 31.8 gal.= 15.3. This whole tank was driven very conservatively. I think that sux.
Dodge engineers are dumb as stumps for making the transmission shift at where it does. In a 40 mph speed zone it will never shift out of 3rd into 4th. Torque converter won't lock till 52 mph in OD, In tow haul it won't lock till 55 mph. The dealer says that is the way it is supposed to work. Does anyone else's shift differently? I would apperciate if someone with the 325/600 with 3.73 gear and the 48RE would check and see where theirs shifts and if mine is indeed normal. Later, Nat

Old 05-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #10

Nat, have you had TSB 18-037-04 flash done? My mpg improved about 1 mpg with it done. Your OH seems to be off high a fair amount also. The TSB may help your situation.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:50 AM   #11
Nat

Already had the reflash done, supposedly. Going to check the radiator support to see if there is a sticker attached. Something doesn't seem right as the miles per tank varies a good bit. Some tanks are in the 450/475 mile range, some less than 400. I can't tell if I'm expecting to much or if the truck really has a glitch. I guess I'll check each tank for a while, maybe get a clearer picture of what it's doing.
Later, Nat

Old 05-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #12

We have an 04 3500 dually, auto, 4WD, factory stock, diesel HO (not California version); last trip we were pulling 11000#, into wind and we averaged 10 MPG. The Dodge only has 12K miles on it, and my (other lifetime) experience is that when I get to 25K it will improve, regardless of what the owner's manual calls a 6K breakin period. Unloaded (which it very rarely is) we get 21-27 MPG.

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #13

Reading this gives hubby more ammo to get me into a diesel p/u! My Tahoe 1/2 ton got a whole 7mpg this weekend. We used 1/3rd tank (30gal tank) to get there, and had to fill up again 30 miles from home. The campground was about 100 miles from home, mostly flat, a few mild hills, nothing major. The trip home included strong headwinds. So hubby starts to discuss trading in the Tahoe on a 3/4 ton diesel...... I'm going to be driving this thing as my daily ride, so I'm not at all thrilled about having a diesel. I'd be happy with gas, especially since we aren't heavy duty campers.... yet.

1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 350 w/3:73 gear ratio
AnneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #14

Resistance is futile.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote