Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2005, 06:30 AM   #1
Nat

I pulled my 33' Sandpiper to FL and back this past week. This is the first long distance pull. I havn't manuelly checked the fuel milage on it yet as it only has 7000 miles and I didn't expect it to be great till broken in, so I wasn't to concerned when the computer "guesser" said 15.7. That is what it showed nearly all the time. On the trip to FL, I watched the guesser, and it dropped to 14.9, I was pleased, till the first fillup. I figured it and I actually got 10.1
All the other CTD's that I have had allways got 13-14.5 towing, and this one gets 10? I had to drive my wife 40 miles each way to her class, the reason we were in FL, and all the running around we did, some stop and go, some hwy and it didn't even get 10, and this was not towing.
Has anyone else ghecked the new Dodges to see if this is normal, or did I get a gas hog?
Another guestion, I have never used an automatic to tow with and have some questions. When you take off, say as in merging into traffic from our frequent stops at rest areas, mine seems to shift from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd then to4th fine, but it will stay in 4th at around 60 mph and 25-2600 rpm's for a long time, not picking up speed or dropping into OD till you let off on the throtle the the speed increases so that you have to let off to keep from speeding. If this thing would shift at 16-1700 rpm's it would accelerate faster and wouldn't use as much fuel to get up to road speed as it does now shifting at 24-2700.
Maybe I expect to much, but from what I see so far, I'll never own another automatic. You would think that the auto would accelerate faster than a straight drive without really dogging it, but with the lag time in shifting and the way it hangs in drive before shifting into OD, this thing is a dog. Now onto a brighter note, once it shifts into OD, you can set back and ride, it never slowed down on any hill and I could speed up on any hill I hit even in OD, just by mashing a small amount on the throtle. The power is amazing, I thought the old CTD had a lot of power, but not even in the class of the 600, youi have to watch out or you will be speeding in a heartbeat.
Am I expecting to much from the auto, or does anyone else's shift differently?

2002 Carraige 32' Triple slide
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Nat

I pulled my 33' Sandpiper to FL and back this past week. This is the first long distance pull. I havn't manuelly checked the fuel milage on it yet as it only has 7000 miles and I didn't expect it to be great till broken in, so I wasn't to concerned when the computer "guesser" said 15.7. That is what it showed nearly all the time. On the trip to FL, I watched the guesser, and it dropped to 14.9, I was pleased, till the first fillup. I figured it and I actually got 10.1
All the other CTD's that I have had allways got 13-14.5 towing, and this one gets 10? I had to drive my wife 40 miles each way to her class, the reason we were in FL, and all the running around we did, some stop and go, some hwy and it didn't even get 10, and this was not towing.
Has anyone else ghecked the new Dodges to see if this is normal, or did I get a gas hog?
Another guestion, I have never used an automatic to tow with and have some questions. When you take off, say as in merging into traffic from our frequent stops at rest areas, mine seems to shift from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd then to4th fine, but it will stay in 4th at around 60 mph and 25-2600 rpm's for a long time, not picking up speed or dropping into OD till you let off on the throtle the the speed increases so that you have to let off to keep from speeding. If this thing would shift at 16-1700 rpm's it would accelerate faster and wouldn't use as much fuel to get up to road speed as it does now shifting at 24-2700.
Maybe I expect to much, but from what I see so far, I'll never own another automatic. You would think that the auto would accelerate faster than a straight drive without really dogging it, but with the lag time in shifting and the way it hangs in drive before shifting into OD, this thing is a dog. Now onto a brighter note, once it shifts into OD, you can set back and ride, it never slowed down on any hill and I could speed up on any hill I hit even in OD, just by mashing a small amount on the throtle. The power is amazing, I thought the old CTD had a lot of power, but not even in the class of the 600, youi have to watch out or you will be speeding in a heartbeat.
Am I expecting to much from the auto, or does anyone else's shift differently?

Old 02-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Recent changes in diesel emissions standards have generally reduced the mpg of new diesels, so yours might be a little less than you previously experienced. However, I would think we are talking 1 mpg, not 3+.

I had a Ford diesel automatic a few years back and it got about 13 mpg towing and 18-19 alone. The Dodges were always better back at that time, but the new Ford 6.0 diesel is supposed to be in the same class as the Cummins 5.9 as far as fuel economy.

Your automatic doesn't sound like it is shifting right to me. Dodge has just modified their automatic to handle the increased power of the diesels (you couldn't get an automatic on the 300 HP diesel until recently) and maybe hanging onto 4th gear was a cheap way to do it. But I woud take it to the dealer and complain! And if he won't fix it, start talking direct to the Dodge District Service rep.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #4

I get around 20 empty around town (not stop and go) and 10 - 11 towing. I got the same towing milage with my 01.5 HO too.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #5

18-22 MT 10-14 Loaded is fair I think..John
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nat:
I pulled my 33' Sandpiper to FL and back this past week. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm getting around 18 not pulling, and around 12 pulling. I'm not impressed with the low end grunt of mine, either. I understand Bully Dog has a reprogrammer out. Something that bothered me is that everytime I pulled the trailer, the air restriction gauge would show about 50% restricted. Even with a new air filter. A K&N filter cone took care of that, and did give me a little more low end grunt. I talked to Schied Diesel, and they told me that Dodge put a restrictive air and exhaust system on the truck, and that was the first thing that most people change.

As the truck gets more mileage on it, the fuel mileage will get better. I noticed at 15,000 miles on mine, the fuel mileage did come up a bit. My powerstroke that I had, the fuel mileage didn't settle down until almost 25,000 miles.

I try to set the cruise control at 62MPH. It is nothing to look down and see that you are running 70, and not even knowing it.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I had a 2001 Dodge CTD and got 18 to 21 mpg. solo and 10 to 13 mpg, towing my 10000 lb. TT. I did have a Edge EZ computer chip and a BHAF (big open air filter) on it and it had a 3:54 rear end. The 04.5 has 12500 miles on it now and gets mostly 16 to 18 mpg. solo and 10 towing. I have an AFE open cone air filter and have changed to a Nelson straight threw muffler. The modifications have reduced the EGT and not much more. I am going to change to Amsoil when I get about 20000 miles on it. I do notice the thing you mentioned about not shifting into over drive until the pressure is reduced on the transmission a little. I guess that is to protect the overdrive from all the torque the CTD puts out. Other than the fuel mileage I do not have many other complaints with my truck. I know one thing it is a pulling son of a gun with 600 ft. lbs. of torque and the 4:10 gears.
You might want to check out,
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/
and ask your questions there. It is a website for Dodge truck owners.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #8

Some of the early 04.5's with the 50 state 600 had issues with fuel milage and overhead computer MPG accuracy.

There is a TSB about a reflash that has been developed for the problem.

Go here and see if your truck is affected.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-037-04.htm

Most people seem to have good results. I've heard of increases of several MPG's...

Let us know how it turns out.

P.S.

Rick- Go to the dealer (with stock air filter) and I bet they will replace the filter minder under warranty.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Nat

Jeff, thanks for the link. I looked up my engine SN and mine falls about the middle. I talked to the service dept and they said to bring it in and they would hook it up and see if the trans. was within specs, said they could reset it if needed, so it's going back. I'll see if it helps

Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #10
Nat

Well, I took the truck to the dealer and had the computer reflashed. I really don't have a clue what that means BTW, The milage has shown 14.3 to 15.7 since I brought it home, but in checking it only got 10.1. I don't know if the reflash did anything or not , but the guesser now says 18.5. Will let you know after checking a tank &gt;

Old 02-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #11

"Reflash" just means that they uploaded new software into the engine management computer.

Let us know how the hand calculated milage turns out.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
Nat

Well, I filled it up this morning and checked it manually and it is getting 17 mpg, much better than the 10-11 it was getting. I still used to the 18-20 the 2000 got but this one has 65 more HP and about 100 more lbs of torque and is an automatic transmision, so I quess it equals out.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
17 mpg empty sounds OK, maybe. I get 18-24 if I stay out of it and run about 68 with the cruize set. As far as towing I get anywhere form 11-13 as long as keep set about 65-68 with the cruze set.
You need to slow down just a little and let the computer do it's thing. YOu also need to find out what your setup like to run at the best. That way the tranny is not hunting and hanging up in forth with out going into O/D.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:21 AM   #14

I've been getting about 17.5 MPG empty with winter fuel. In the summer I was closer to 19.5. I just returned from florida also, and pulling my fifth wheel I got about 10. What kills is the drag. I was doing 70 MPH with the criuse set. Last year I took a trip and kept the speed at 60-65 and I got about 12.5 towing. Speed really affects mileage when towing.