Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

2004 F350 tires

Hello, out of curiosity, what tires are you running on your truck? We have wild countrys now, but are looking for other options, E rated smooth ride. We won't be going anywhere rugged, and soon to be towing a T.T.
Also where did you purchase the tires from, are you happy with them> thanks so much, michele

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, welcome to iRV2.

When I had my F-350, I used Michelin LTX/MS. They are a great tire on wet, dry and snowy roads.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

You won't get a smooth ride really. Maybe compared to an F550 with a Sterling diff.

I've had good luck with Hankook Dynapro highway tread. If you're going off road at all, I'd get an all terrain. If not at all, get a highway.

I use Discount Tire for the most part.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
First, welcome to iRV2.

When I had my F-350, I used Michelin LTX/MS. They are a great tire on wet, dry and snowy roads.
Just took a set off my 2500 because of dry rot cracks. Already had a set of Falken Rocky Mountain 2s from a truck I had traded (had 2 sets and kept the newer). Wish I had Michelins still on it. I tried to wear out the Michelin tires and couldn't. Didn't rotate them in 17000 miles one time and they showed no abnormal wear.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have had excellent service from Michelin tires since they first came out with radials back in the 1960s. If your F-350 is a dually, then it has LT235/85R16E tires. I had trouble wearing out Michelin XPS tires in that size - they lasted about twice the miles as other premium-priced tires, such as BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A. The XPS is available in either highway rib tread or "traction" tread. I tried both, and since the highway tread lasted longer than the traction tread, and gave me all the traction I needed, I put about 150,000 miles on my SuperDuty with XPS highway rib tread.

If your F-350 is SRW, then it might have either LT235/85R16E or LT265/75R16 tires. If it has LT235/85R16E, then go for the XPS. That's the biggest size the XPS comes in. So if you have the LT265/75R16E, go instead for the Michelin LTX. Those come in several tread designs (All season, all terrain, mud terrain). I have LTX all season on my F-150, and they are great - not as good as the XPS, but nothing is as good as the XPS.

The LTX will be a lot less expensive than the XPS. The XPS is an all-steel commercial truck tire with three steel belts as well as steel plies, and not cheap. Here's one source:
Michelin XPS 235/85-16 Tires - Discount Tire

Here's another:
Michelin XPS Rib 235/85R16E - Tirerack

After you pick your jaw up from the floor because of the high price, then consider that yes, they're expensive, but worth it in the long run.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I have had excellent service from Michelin tires since they first came out with radials back in the 1960s. If your F-350 is a dually, then it has LT235/85R16E tires. I had trouble wearing out Michelin XPS tires in that size - they lasted about twice the miles as other premium-priced tires, such as BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A. The XPS is available in either highway rib tread or "traction" tread. I tried both, and since the highway tread lasted longer than the traction tread, and gave me all the traction I needed, I put about 150,000 miles on my SuperDuty with XPS highway rib tread.

If your F-350 is SRW, then it might have either LT235/85R16E or LT265/75R16 tires. If it has LT235/85R16E, then go for the XPS. That's the biggest size the XPS comes in. So if you have the LT265/75R16E, go instead for the Michelin LTX. Those come in several tread designs (All season, all terrain, mud terrain). I have LTX all season on my F-150, and they are great - not as good as the XPS, but nothing is as good as the XPS.

The LTX will be a lot less expensive than the XPS. The XPS is an all-steel commercial truck tire with three steel belts as well as steel plies, and not cheap. Here's one source:
Michelin XPS 235/85-16 Tires - Discount Tire

Here's another:
Michelin XPS Rib 235/85R16E - Tirerack

After you pick your jaw up from the floor because of the high price, then consider that yes, they're expensive, but worth it in the long run.
Have you ever ran or even tried to get the XPS re-treaded?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #7

Smile

What we have now is the LT265/75R/XTX, and while we're pleased with it, they are geard for more of the mud/snow, which is fine for here in Reno, but once we start traveling it will be more highway, non rugged.
My husband is leaning towards Michelins, seems to be the better of warranty, better ride, etc. So again, all your comments are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Have you ever ran or even tried to get the XPS re-treaded?
No, not me. That's for real commercial truckers that run 100,000 miles on a new tire, then retread it and run another 70,000 or 80,000 miles before they retread it again. You can do that with the XPS, but I don't really trust retreads. All those "alligators" you see on the highway are mostly the treads from retreaded tires.

Tags
tires