Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

2005 Dodge Ram Recall 2/12/15

So Dodge has recalled the ring and pinion on every 2005 1500 models and maybe others. They failed to use an adhesive patch to keep the pinion nut in place. This in turn may fall off, cause the drive shaft to fall off, or the differential may lock up. I called Dodge on Friday and they stated they are placing a new nut on ones that are not loose. They did not tell me what they plan on doing to one that was loose though. I was told that i may not be refunded if i have this repaired at a third party shop and to talk to the service manager at the dealership regarding this. I went there this morning and requested that they check my pinion nut torque rating. "I have nobody here that can do this" (honestly you have nobody in you shop capable of using a torque wrench??) When can you i have a 4000lb trailer to tow this week and would like to know my car will make it. Maybe Tuesday or Thursday when did you want it done? TODAY! I stated. He then checked my vin and told me that chrysler did no have the parts available. I stated to him that american axle makes the ring and pinion and I can go pick one up from dts today. We only install chrysler parts! American axle is the oem part. So im now stuck in my driveway on mid winter break with the kids instead of hauling my trailer to florida this week. Unless i want to spend about 700 at a third party shop that I may or may not receive my money back from dodge, or may only receive parts reimbursement? btw the dealer has given me two separate estimate for a ring and pinion swap. 400 labor 800 parts over the phone, $3000 from the guy I talked to today. Trans shop is about 700 for everything. Whats your thoughts on recieving my money back if i do end up going 3rd party? Have any of you had a recall fixed at a third party and received your money back?
My other worry is that they have stated that they will put a new nut on a pinion bolt that has not become loose but they have not stated what they will do to a loose nut. If its loose the gears have got to be worn out due to mis alignment correct?
93layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you get a recall notice? My son told me my 2005 1500 was being recalled for this problem, when I checked on the recall (online) it was not on the list. I do have a recall on the air-bag. Not doubting anything your saying just trying to get the correct scoop. Mine is a 3:36 2 wheel drive, not a posi (locking diff). I have noticed for quite a while that I feel a little wind-up between forward and reverse, 100K on the clock.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found this for my 2005 2 wheel drive Dodge Ram
NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 14V-796 Recall Date: February 2, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: P77
SUMMARY:
THE REAR AXLE PINION NUT MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITHOUT AN ADHESIVE PATCH ON THE PINION NUT THREADS. THE LACK OF THIS ADHESIVE PATCH COULD ALLOW THE REAR AXLE PINION NUT TO LOOSEN AND/OR THE REAR DRIVESHAFT TO SEPARATE FROM THE REAR AXLE.
SAFETY RISK:
A LOOSE PINION NUT COULD CAUSE THE REAR AXLE TO SEIZE AND A SEPARATED DRIVESHAFT COULD CAUSE A LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER. EITHER SITUATION COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
REMEDY:
THE REAR AXLE PINION NUT MUST BE CHECKED FOR LOOSENESS. REAR AXLES FOUND WITH A LOOSE PINION NUT AND/OR A SEIZED UP AXLE ASSEMBLY MUST BE RECONDITIONED. AXLES FOUND WITH A PINION NUT THAT HAS NOT LOOSENED WILL HAVE A PINION NUT RETAINER INSTALLED.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:
THIS RECALL DATA LAST REFRESHED: Feb 14, 2015
NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 14V-817 Recall Date: January 27, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: P81
SUMMARY:
THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING MAY RUPTURE, DUE TO EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING NORMAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.
SAFETY RISK:
EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE, DURING AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT EVENTS, COULD RESULT IN AN INCREASED CHANCE OF OCCUPANT INJURY DURING CERTAIN CRASH CONDITIONS.
REMEDY:
THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WILL BE REPLACED.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:
THIS RECALL DATA LAST RE
Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #4

Glad to see that they are going to recondition the ones that are loose. Also very glad I didn't switch the gear ratio a few weeks ago. Wonder if they will let me choose????
93layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #5

My thoughts are that you have a 2005 vehicle with "x" miles on it and it hasn't broken yet. If it were me, I'd do the trip and not worry about having a third party do the work. Doesn't appear as if Chrysler even has the proper fix for the problem, yet.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got a recall notice yesterday, they will send another when they get parts.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

Received same recall. Does not say, "Do not drive." Puts the responsibility on Chrysler for any damage caused by a failure. Of course that could be time consuming. I agree that I would take the trip.
Copdmv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, recall