Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is probably something internal to the block that is causing your problem. Perhaps some flash or some other casting imperfection. If it were a design problem I would think that more units would be failing. The other items would be water pump and/or radiator.

While it is true that your truck weighs only 7,000+ lbs I think that the BBB is looking at the GVWR and yours falls into the commercial range, therefore they do not want to touch it.

I beileve that you do have a problem, however I don't like the way GM is treating you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #30

I got my arbitration date. It is 12 January in Knoxville TN.

They do go by the weight of the vehical, the GVW not the GVWR.

I hope I do good at arbitration but I do not have a good feeling about it. I do have vin numbers of 8 2005 that have been bought back by GM for overheating. I also have pictures of my tmeperature gage for coolant at 252 and the over heated warning light on. I also have a picture of the engine oil pressure at 5 psi. I also have a pictue of the transmission temp at 250. I have a weight ticket to show truck and trailer at a total weight of 2120 to prove I am not over loaded also.

Their stance is the dealer can not duplicate the problem. Yet the dealer will not take a ride to a mountain grade, about 2 hours away. It will not hit 252 on flat roads. It did hit 235 with an out side temp of 72 and the dealer said that was normal. I know it is not as my 01 never hit 215 in 98 degree weather and a 6% grade.

[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #31
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hey Dave,

Good luck with your arbitration hearing, I've been following your thread over on The Diesel Place forum.

Have you considered asking some of the techies on that forum for some of the GM bulletins that substantiate the issues with the LLY engines? I did a search in the LLY forum over there using the word "overheating" and got 20 pages of hits consisting of 500 threads.

Not all are to your issue and I don't have the time to read through them all but just skimming through there seems to be a bunch of LLY's with issues such as you have with yours. I bet a lot of those guys would jump at the opportunity to help you with supporting details to collaborate your position against GM.

At the very least, you might do some printing of a few selected threads. Even though it could be argued as being circumstantial to your truck, it should blow away any argument from GM that they haven't heard about any of their trucks having an overheating issue.

Again, good luck with the arbitration.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:10 AM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Hey Dave,

Good luck with your arbitration hearing, I've been following your thread over on The Diesel Place forum.

Have you considered asking some of the techies on that forum for some of the GM bulletins that substantiate the issues with the LLY engines? I did a search in the LLY forum over there using the word "overheating" and got 20 pages of hits consisting of 500 threads.

Not all are to your issue and I don't have the time to read through them all but just skimming through there seems to be a bunch of LLY's with issues such as you have with yours. I bet a lot of those guys would jump at the opportunity to help you with supporting details to collaborate your position against GM.

At the very least, you might do some printing of a few selected threads. Even though it could be argued as being circumstantial to your truck, it should blow away any argument from GM that they haven't heard about any of their trucks having an overheating issue.

Again, good luck with the arbitration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good idea, I will copy some of those threads. I have the vin numbers of ten trucks that have file numbers for overheating with GM customer service.

The PIP i have also came from a GM tech on the board. It is sent to all dealers about the overheating. I also have the vin of a truck GM has put a bigger radiator in, and also a bigger intercooler in.

GM's big argument now is the truck has never had to be towed, so its not left me stranded. That is because I pull off the road and stop when the transmission hot warning or the coolant hot warning comes on.

I would be a whole lot less upset if GM was trying to fix it or treating me like they wanted my business. I understand mechanical things have problems. That is not what makes me mad. GM trying to do every thing not to fix it is what makes me mad. Heck if mechanical things were perfect I would not have a job.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #33

Well my truck never made it to Arbitration. One hour prior to arrbitration GMC customer assitance center manager called. The offered to take my truck back for a new 06. I just have to pay 25 cents a mile for the miles on it up to the day they made the offer.

It will take a few weeks to get all the paper work done. Then they will have to order me the new truck.

All in all they finally made it right. Took a lot of paper work and persistance on my end but it paid off.

I hope the 06 is like the 01 I traded for the 05. The 01 was the best truck I ever owned.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hope the 06 is like the 01 I traded for the 05. The 01 was the best truck I ever owned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

So far I'm really pleased with my '06 Duramax. I just got it a few weeks ago, haven't towed with it yet, and have only driven it about 350 miles. It seems to run good and has lots of torque and power.

I'm sure glad to hear that GM 'stepped up to the plate' and stood behind your truck. Feel sorry for who gets it next.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #35
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Feel sorry for who gets it next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you could you post your VIN # on this & the diesel forum. That way anyone that sees it & knows about your problems from reading the posts will run as fast as they can the other way if they see that VIN # on a truck in a used car lot.
L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:14 AM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I hope the 06 is like the 01 I traded for the 05. The 01 was the best truck I ever owned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

So far I'm really pleased with my '06 Duramax. I just got it a few weeks ago, haven't towed with it yet, and have only driven it about 350 miles. It seems to run good and has lots of torque and power.

I'm sure glad to hear that GM 'stepped up to the plate' and stood behind your truck. Feel sorry for who gets it next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My brother has a 06 3500 crew cab the the LBZ and allison 6 speed. He loves it. He has about 1500 miles on it and has not towe yet either.

I also feel sorry for some one if they get my 05. I loved the truck till the first time I towed with it.

I know I did a vin check on my truck a couple months ago. It came up it had been in three times for overheating and that it was unresolved. Just have them run a vin at a GM service dept and you can get the trucks history if the work was done by GM.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #37

hi, just a thought, when i had a 94 gmc 6.5 and was down town with the wife and i noticed the fan would not come on when it should i went right to the dealership and told them of my problem. the service advisor at the time, told me they could not work on it for two weeks. i said fine i bought it here new and i need it so if you can not work on it now i will continue to drive it it is under warrentry and i dont care if you replace the fan clutch or a whole new long block the choice is yours. they fixed it while we waited.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #38

Dave I've read up on and did a 3 hour (by myself) test drive of the 06 Silverado 2500, crew, long box, duramax, alison 6spd. I was really impressed!!!!! Granted it was empty, but power, acceleration, ride quality, braking and tranny functionality blew me away. I used to drive for a living in my 20s, and I've been a dodge/cummins fan for a long time. But I want this truck.

Try squeeky wheeling it for an even trade to 06.

Ralh
Old 05-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #39

Well I took delivery of the new 06 on 15 May. GMC did me right, we did an exchange of collateral so I got to keep the old loan with lower rates. I just had to come up with 1800 out of pocket for the differance. Not bad considering the 05 had 25,120 miles on it at the time of swap.

I have only got to drive the truck three times since I bought it. The day I got it then I drove it to Houma LA the next day. Then the following day I drove it to the Helo port where I flew out to the Oil rig I am on. I get to Drive it again June 1 when I go home.

I have just over 900 miles on it. Feels much stronger then the 05, about the same as the 01 duramax with the hot juice in it. I hope to two with it soon.

I was going to put the brake controller from the 05 in the new truck. However I found a good deal on a new prodigy so I opted to up grade. I have heard many good things about the prodigy, I plan to install it right after I get home.

So far I am happy with the new truck. I have two pull the RV down to Chatanooga to get the Fridge service while I am in for two weeks. That should be enough to let me know if it pulls better than the 05 did.

I will say the 6 speed allison shifts much smoother than the 5 speed did in the 01 or 05. The LBZ seems quiter than the LB7 01 or the LLY 05 also.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #40

Appalachian Campers
Dave,

Glad to hear you got your new truck and GM took care of you. It sure was an uphill battle there for a while, wasn't it?

You'll love how the '06 tows, I've had mine out on a few towing trips, it handles the rig like a breeze. I have 4,823 miles on mine now of which 2,103 of them were towing.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #41

I did not get the chance to tow with it this last time off. I was bussy putting all the accessories on it. I got the running boards on it with step lights and running lights. I got the mud flaps on it and window vents. I also put the tool box in it. I installed the new prodigy brake controller.

I have a question though. Where does the 40 amp fuse that comes with the factory brake harness go. I could not figure it out on the 06. I had no trouble with the 01 or 05. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #42

Appalachian Campers
Dave,

It goes in the fuse box located under the hood. There's a dummy fuse in the slot that it goes in. Standing by the left front fender looking into the engine compartment, it's on the top left of the fuse compartment.

There should have been an instruction sheet taped to the wiring harness, it was wrapped around the harness on mine.