Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #1

It's been a while since I posted, bussy building a log home. At any rate many of you remember when the Duramax came out in 01 I had posted many glowing reports on how well it towed and performed. I mad a major mistake in June, I traded the 01 Chevy Crew Cab Dooley 3500 Duramax with 135,000 trouble fee miles on it for a 2005 GMC crew cab dooley 4x4 Duramax. In 4 months the 05 has been in the dealer more time than the 01 was in it life!

What is wrong with the 05?

The mpg just plain sucks. 01 got 18 mpg empty and 12 mpg pulling 12000 pounds of RV. 05 gets 14.8 empty and 9.6 mpg pulling 4000 pounds of motorcycle and trailer to Sturgis SD and back. Took the truck to dealer when I returned with a 7000 pound trailer and skid steer. Dealer went for a 100 mile test ride loaded like that. Got 9 mpg at 70 mph. Dealer said that's normal!!!

Overheats - When towing the 7000 pound trailer and Skid steer for the dealer the engine coolant temperature hit 230. The trans temp hit 210, this was on flat interstate and an out side temperature of 88 degrees. Again dealer states this is normal!!! My 01 never got above 210 engine coolant temp on a 6.5% grade with 12,000 pounds in tow and an out side temp of 99 degrees and the trans never hit 200.

Cooling fan always runs On the 3003 mile round trip to Sturgis SD the cooling fan ran for 180 miles straight leaving St Louis. It ran over 75% of the time for the entire trip. The noise is unbearable. I again was only pulling 4000 pounds of V nose 7 foot wide, 7 foot tall trailer. On the 01 the cooling fan rarely came on pulling 12000 pounds of RV, and then it require a big hill, not flat road! Dealer has replaced fan twice, still not fixed.

NO POWER Truck will not hold overdrive pulling 4000 pounds on the slightest of hill. On rolling hills between my house and Knoxville (dealer) my 01 could pull 12000 in OD, the 05 down shifted 15 times to 4th and twice to 3rd. again Dealer said it normal!!!!

I have a case number with GMC Customer Assistance Center. They closed it three weeks ago stating nothing was wrong with my truck and noted dissatisfied customer. The also told my dealer not to work on my truck for any of the above complaints. I tried the Cleavland Dealer who agreed to look at it until he entered my VIN, he stated there was a note not to look at my truck for the above troubles. I contacted BBB the next day. One week later GMC Customer Assistance Center Manger contacted me stating they were re opening my case. The following week the manager called again and siad my truck was fine but they were giving me an extened warrenty to ease my mind. They would also have the dealer look at my truck again. This time I will pull the RV up to the dealer, a will also load the bed to get the truck as close to the 23500 GCWR as possible. I am however scared to attempt to pull my RV with it.

What really **** me off more than the truck has problems is GMC trying to act like it is fine. I was told by Customer service this is the first they have heard of one overheating. I then gave the lady the VIN numbers of three that were bought back by GMC this year for overheating. She got real upset and stated that I am not supose to have that information. I got the one because I helped the guy out when he oveheated going up mount eagle pulling 10500 pounds in August, truck coolant temperature hit 260 and shut off.

The problems are not with all the LLY duramax trucks, just a few. I have a co worker who has a 05 like mine and pulls 14500 pound, 11 mpg and engine collant never over 210.

Advice if your looking to by a used Duramax equiped truck 2004.5 thru 2005 with the LLY duramax take the Vin to a dealer. They can tell you if it was a overheating truck. Just make sure you reasearch it well. Some are great trucks, some will not pull 10000 pounds with out overheating

The 01 Duramax I had was the best truck I ever owned. The 05 Duramax is the worst! I would trade my 05 even up to get my 01 back

[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #2

It's been a while since I posted, bussy building a log home. At any rate many of you remember when the Duramax came out in 01 I had posted many glowing reports on how well it towed and performed. I mad a major mistake in June, I traded the 01 Chevy Crew Cab Dooley 3500 Duramax with 135,000 trouble fee miles on it for a 2005 GMC crew cab dooley 4x4 Duramax. In 4 months the 05 has been in the dealer more time than the 01 was in it life!

What is wrong with the 05?

The mpg just plain sucks. 01 got 18 mpg empty and 12 mpg pulling 12000 pounds of RV. 05 gets 14.8 empty and 9.6 mpg pulling 4000 pounds of motorcycle and trailer to Sturgis SD and back. Took the truck to dealer when I returned with a 7000 pound trailer and skid steer. Dealer went for a 100 mile test ride loaded like that. Got 9 mpg at 70 mph. Dealer said that's normal!!!

Overheats - When towing the 7000 pound trailer and Skid steer for the dealer the engine coolant temperature hit 230. The trans temp hit 210, this was on flat interstate and an out side temperature of 88 degrees. Again dealer states this is normal!!! My 01 never got above 210 engine coolant temp on a 6.5% grade with 12,000 pounds in tow and an out side temp of 99 degrees and the trans never hit 200.

Cooling fan always runs On the 3003 mile round trip to Sturgis SD the cooling fan ran for 180 miles straight leaving St Louis. It ran over 75% of the time for the entire trip. The noise is unbearable. I again was only pulling 4000 pounds of V nose 7 foot wide, 7 foot tall trailer. On the 01 the cooling fan rarely came on pulling 12000 pounds of RV, and then it require a big hill, not flat road! Dealer has replaced fan twice, still not fixed.

NO POWER Truck will not hold overdrive pulling 4000 pounds on the slightest of hill. On rolling hills between my house and Knoxville (dealer) my 01 could pull 12000 in OD, the 05 down shifted 15 times to 4th and twice to 3rd. again Dealer said it normal!!!!

I have a case number with GMC Customer Assistance Center. They closed it three weeks ago stating nothing was wrong with my truck and noted dissatisfied customer. The also told my dealer not to work on my truck for any of the above complaints. I tried the Cleavland Dealer who agreed to look at it until he entered my VIN, he stated there was a note not to look at my truck for the above troubles. I contacted BBB the next day. One week later GMC Customer Assistance Center Manger contacted me stating they were re opening my case. The following week the manager called again and siad my truck was fine but they were giving me an extened warrenty to ease my mind. They would also have the dealer look at my truck again. This time I will pull the RV up to the dealer, a will also load the bed to get the truck as close to the 23500 GCWR as possible. I am however scared to attempt to pull my RV with it.

What really **** me off more than the truck has problems is GMC trying to act like it is fine. I was told by Customer service this is the first they have heard of one overheating. I then gave the lady the VIN numbers of three that were bought back by GMC this year for overheating. She got real upset and stated that I am not supose to have that information. I got the one because I helped the guy out when he oveheated going up mount eagle pulling 10500 pounds in August, truck coolant temperature hit 260 and shut off.

The problems are not with all the LLY duramax trucks, just a few. I have a co worker who has a 05 like mine and pulls 14500 pound, 11 mpg and engine collant never over 210.

Advice if your looking to by a used Duramax equiped truck 2004.5 thru 2005 with the LLY duramax take the Vin to a dealer. They can tell you if it was a overheating truck. Just make sure you reasearch it well. Some are great trucks, some will not pull 10000 pounds with out overheating

The 01 Duramax I had was the best truck I ever owned. The 05 Duramax is the worst! I would trade my 05 even up to get my 01 back

[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Old 10-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck with the GMC. I myself don't have a GMC but I still feel your pain. I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer and try to get them to trade you up to the 06. They have made changes to the tranny, 6 speed now. Maybe they also figured out what they screwed up in the 05 to keep it from overheating. From what I have seen in all of the big 3, your mileage may in fact be lower in the new models jsut do to the fact they are all triing to meet the new regulations and be able sale them in CA. Also more power means less fuel mileage.
You could always trade it for Dodge Ram and get the Cummins
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #4

Gee...

Sounds like the same GM I dealt with years ago about my 92-93-94 3500HD's with the 6.5 turbo diesel's. I have a fleet of trucks ( electrical contractor ) - and we bought a 92 & 93 3500 then had a 94 to replace the 93. GM never did fix the problems we had. I must have sent letters to every GM employee and been to a hundred dealers - the dealers meant well - my local dealer was great! but GM was a pain in the *** to deal with.
Bottom line - I have not bought a GM product in over 10 years and my fleet of trucks has never run better!

John, Juli
Big Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #5

I run an 02 LB7 and have been lurking several of the GM Diesel boards and there is an unusually large number of overheating and fuel economy complaints. Looks like the days of the LLY will be over w/introduction of the LBZ tho. Noticed you made no mention of EGTs experienced w/either.

disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
odoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Sorry to hear about the issues with your '05, I was planning to order an '06 GMC dually with the LBZ next week. Now I'm wondering if I'll be making a good decision.

Has anyone heard any issues with the '06 with the LBZ? I've noticed on GM BuyPower.com that a few are on the dealer's lots along side the ones with the LLY engine. Not sure if there's many been sold yet.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #7

They are just out now...first owner reports at dieselplace.com. Reports are positive but it's early. The 6 speed allison behind a beefed up duramax (stronger bottom end -beefed up hp/torque) would make this an easy choice for me. Lots of guys pumping 500hp through the dmax with very few grenading....so I'm thinking it's a pretty safe buy.

02 Silverado D/A 4x4..sweet.
Paul Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #8

The LLY duramax is a very short lived motor. The LB7 was 2001 thru 2004.5. The LLY is 2004.5 to the first quarter 2006, only a year and 3/4. There were many changes to the LLY from the LB7, the cooling stack being 1 and that air intake another.

I have never heard of an LB7 overheating. I personally know of 4 LLY's that are overheating and know of many others though web sites.

I have looked at the 06 LBZ. Cooling stack and air intake has cahnged again. It also looks like underhood air flow has been improved along with air flow thru the cooling stack.

I did not mention EGT on with truck because I do not have a pyro on the 05. The 01 would hit 1325 on a long hard pull with 12000 pounds in tow. I had planned to put the edge juice and attitude on this truck, but with all the problems I am worried about warrenty.

I am working hard to force GMC to fix the truck, they know its a problem that is why the quick redisigns on the engine, cooling system and air intake and under hood air flow for 06.

Thru the BBB I am working on a buy back. I am also talking with the selling dealer about a trade for an 06 LBZ. If GMC will not fix the truck or buy it back and the dealer cant help with a fair trade then this will be my last GM. This is my 3rd GM 3500 crew cab.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:14 AM   #9

I feel for you Dave but I have similar issues with Ford on my truck listed below. My issues are with Ford's additude in addressing customer service & not my dealer.
Now I have problems with many electrical components on my truck & the cost of repair is way to high. I, for one will never buy another Ford so it does not leave me with many choices in the industry. (BTW, I have been a loyal Ford man for over 38 years.)
My impression is, you will have issues with them all. Some trucks are good & some are bad. Some dealers are good & some are bad. All you can hope for is to get a good one & if you do have any problems, a dealer or the OEM & the dealer can & will help you within reason.
JMHO.

Reg
Old 10-08-2005, 06:41 AM   #10

Dave ~ Good point about the egts. If having trouble like you are, there's no point in installing mods that they could use to fight you with.

I count my blessing w/my 02 lB7. Plus I've just installed an Edge Juice w/'Tude and its wonderful. I may fantasize about the new LBZs coming out but as someone else pointed out the 02s are probably one of the best production model yrs so far. Still, one occasionally hears of lemons w/those also. Hope things works out for you.

disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
odoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #11

Well I had my truck back into the dealer again on Monday the 17. At GMC Customer Assistance Centers request with my RV in tow. I hit the scales with the Service Tech in the truck, I grossed 19872, well below the GCVWR of 23500 pounds. The outside air temperature was only 71 degrees. On the 15 mile test loop with the Service Tech in the truck and the GM Tech II connected the coolant temperture hit 233 once, for 2 miles, then 227 once for a mile and then 225 twice. This is the reading from the Tech II wich is more accurate than the dash gage. The longest hill on the test ride was 0.3 miles, that is where the coolant hit 233, truck also down shifted to 4th and still lost speed, droped from 70 mph to 64 mph. O1 Duramax would pull the same RV up that short hill in 5th at 70mph. Cooling fan ran 20~25% of the 15 mile test ride. The dealer service manage had the nerve to tell me that 233 was normal with my load. I then explained that my 01 Duramax never hit 215 pulling the same RV up a 6.5% grade in 98 degree weather. I also explained my 96 454 truck never hit 220 pulling the same RV in the mountains in 95 plus weather. He then expalained that the new trucks are designed to run hotter. I do not believe that for 1 minute.

GMC Customer Assistance Center again told me they never heard of an LLY duramax overheating, or even getting hot. I then gave the GMC Customer Assitance Center Manger the Vin numbers of 5 trucks they bought back due to overheating. The Manger rather than say my information was wrong, said, "that is privledged information and your not suppose to have it. How did you get it?" She got even more upset when I gave her the VIN of three trucks GM tried putting bigger radiators in to fix the overheating problem. The manager again proceeded to tell me they have never heard of over heating trucks and mine is just fine.

I have got it over 230 coolant temp pulling 4000 pounds in 98 degree weather. I have got it over 230 coolant temp in 88 degree weather pulling 7000 pounds. I have got it over 230 in 71 degree weather pulling 1200 pounds.

MPG for the round trip to the dealer was very poor. It was 124 miles total trip. I filled up till diesel was visible in the neck. Then headed to dealer, 124 miles round trip. I filled up at the same station on the return trip till fuel was visible in the neck. 8.8 mpg was the result. My 01 averaged 11.8 over its life of pulling the same RV.

GMC Customer Assistance Center has offered me an extened warranty to try to make me feel better. I explained to them that if they do not fix it, or buy it back I still will not need the warranty as I will unload it as soon as I can. I also explained GM would also never get another penney from me. They know I have purchased 7 new GM trucks since 82. The last three have been Crew Cab 3500 doolley's loaded to the gills.

I am now waiting to hear back from the BBB.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I explained to them that if they do not fix it, or buy it back I still will not need the warranty as I will unload it as soon as I can. I also explained GM would also never get another penney from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

There's a definitive procedure one must follow to effectively get an OEM to buy back a truck due to a defect. I recall reading several threads over in the The Diesel Stop forum regarding buybacks for the 2003 Ford 6.0 liter Powerstrokes. You might want to read some of their experiences on this process and brush up on how to file, the criteria, time restraints, etc.

Also, since GM is taking the stance that nothing is wrong with your engine, it may be in your best interest to get an independent technical diagnosis to document the problem. Otherwise, if you go before an arbitration board, they'll probably just conclude that the truck is fine if you have no technical data to back up your position.

Regarding the threat to never buy GM again, I'd say they really don't care. They sell so many vehicles that the loss of one customer wouldn't hardly make a difference to them.

I'm watching your progress since I'm contemplating purchasing an '06 GMC Sierra or Silverado 3500 soon. My Ford is sold and I have no way to pull my 5er.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:28 AM   #13

I heard GM is totally redesigned and re-engineering their trucks for 2007. The 2006 models will be short lived when the 2007 models begin production in Feb. 2006. Just what I was told from a GM Dealership??....Brad

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
To me, this attitude of denying problems-even when they are commonly known-along with their plummeting sales, are the major reasons that GM has financial problems, bordering on bankruptcy. I am a GM owner and will hate to see it, but maybe, just maybe someone at GM will wake up.