Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Jeep GC loosing dash lights while driving

I have a 2005 Jeep GC with Hemi. Back in 2014 Jeep had a recall to replace the ignition switch, which was causing power lose. At that point I did not have a problem with the ignition but I had the recall done promptly anyway.

Since then I have had a problem with the loss of dash and HVAC electrical. The turn signals and brakes lights do not work when this happens. The problem is getting worse culminating to where it happens everytime I drive the Jeep with power coming and going off/on very rapidly.

There are multiple posts on the internet describing this but I have yet to find a definitive fix.

Had anyone else had this problem and if so what was the ultimate fix.

If I can't get this fixed I'm afraid I'll have to get another toad.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I do not have the Hemi in my 2005 WK, but I did have a headlight issue.

The lights (when set to auto) would activate unattended in the Garage and stay on long enough to run the battery down.

My solution was to replace the headlight and turn signal stalk about 4 years ago using one purchased from Ebay as I recall.

If your problem only occurs when the headlight switch is set to Auto, then perhaps replacing the stalk is your solution. It will cost about $30 and 30 minutes of your time if you do it yourself.

But first try driving with the headlight switch set to manual to see if your problem goes away.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dean,
Thanks for the reply.

But it is not the headlights that go out but the inside dash lights, speedometer goes dead, RPM go dead, and the HVAC system goes dead.
I have been trying to identify the problem and was monitoring the system under the hood when this started to happen. There is a relay for the HVAC system that was cycling on/off as this was happening. This was located in a fuse box under the hood. I removed that relay and reset it to make sure it had a good connection. There are multiple small resettable circuit breakers in this fuse box but I could not tell if any were tripping.
I've checked the battery connections and any ground wires that I could find. Checked voltage and alternator seems to be OK and maintain voltage with headlights & AC working. Also took the 12 volt feed.

The common link to all of these problems is the ignition since it enables all these systems to run when the vehicle is running.

Trying to trouble shoot this type of problem is difficult as it is not a continuous problem.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I understand your frustration. I only suggested the light switch stalk because my headlight problem accompanied other weird behaviors which disappeared once I got brave enough to replace the switch.

Also, my 1999 WJ had a three month bout with PCM and ECM modules creating various non mechanical but interrelated problems. Both are replaced now and the problems have gone away.

I also replaced the ignition switch on the WK and then had it done again under the recall. I do not remember why I replaced that switch.......

You may have already found the Jeep Forum website. I have learned a great deal from that Forum. Below is a link to the WK forum.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/

JEEP: Just Expect Electrical Problems
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Dean,
Did some more searching on line today and found multiple posts indicating the ignition switch could be the problem. Watched a couple Youtube videos showing how to change it.
Called the local Jeep dealer, quoted $250 to change it, even though I complained this is what the recall was suppose to fix but made it worse.

I decided to order one and try and replace myself. I will post as soon as I get the part and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My 2003 dodge conversion van not only did I loose power the engine would shut off, totally random.

Ignition switch recall.

2 suggestions, nothing but the key goes in the ignition switch, no other keys tools flashlights hanging, call the region manager and keep calling up the chain till someone agrees to have another ignition switch installed free under warranty.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

I had the same issue on a 2005 Jeep GC Hemi we had. I replaced the ignition and it solved the issue. I think it was a $20 part on line and 10 min job. Never had an issue after that.

I got away from that thing as soon as I could. Had all kinds of issues with the 4low problem and Jeep refusing to acknowledge there was an issue so it was the last jeep I'll own
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
ASMedic
Thanks, that supports my thought that it is the ignition switch.
Agree on Jeep overall. It took 2 years for them to get the N23 recall fixed right. The whole time the local dealer and Jeep customer service refused to acknowledge that there was a big national problem with this.

It appears they have their head buried in the sand again on the ignition switch issue.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
ASMedic
Thanks, that supports my thought that it is the ignition switch.
Agree on Jeep overall. It took 2 years for them to get the N23 recall fixed right. The whole time the local dealer and Jeep customer service refused to acknowledge that there was a big national problem with this.

It appears they have their head buried in the sand again on the ignition switch issue.
I think I ordered one off RockAuto but don't remember
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The Jeep dealer parts department actually gave me the part number for the Mopar part, $60. Did some searching on line and found one for $30.

Should have it in a couple days and if the weather breaks I'll try and install.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #11

Same vehicle, same issue, same fix. Hopefully, that works for you. I think it took me more than 10 minutes to swap, though. Not complex, just a tight fit.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #12

Grand Design Owners Club
Chryslers and Jeeps also had an issue with terminals heating up and loosing continuity in a couple of multi wire connectors in the dash. Usually you can grasp the two halves and wiggle to duplicate. Might feel a little heat if it's been running a while. This was particularly problematic for the HVAC. Look for a dark green wire
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I finally got a new ignition switch and installed on Monday. I've taken daily trips and today put on ~100 miles. The dash lights did not flicker or cut out one time so hopefully I have the problem fixed.

The part that I removed had a different part number, when I checked it says it is not compatible with my year jeep. I'm not sure if this was the part that was changed as part of the recall.

I got the part number I ordered from the Jeep dealer. Every source I checked shows this to be the right part number.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #14

Good

Tags
dash, light, lights