Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #15

I lowered my '06 Chevy dually with Bell Tech shackles on the rear and had a "front end shop" lower the front a couple of inches by adjusting the torsion bars.

The only disadvantage is that this puts the rear on the overloads all the time and it rides a little stiff while empty.

I called Timbren in Canada and had them make a set of their rubber springs for the lowered truck with the intentions of taking the overloads off.

All of this was on the eve of a trip out west that we are on now. Before we left, at the last minute, I decided to leave the overload springs and the Timbrens on. No problems in 7500 miles, 5k or so towing. It rides really good, loaded.

I may take the overloads off and experiment on a shorter trip, later.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Since this is the one thing I do have a clue on....I just had to chime in. We have had very little trouble with the turbos on the Duramax. MOST turbo failures are due to folks that over pressurize and overheat the turbo with super chips mods. and simply just melt them down. Sad and expense.

The comments on the need to R&R the cab verses the trans R&R is the techs call. Some techs find it easier to do one over the other. We remove the front clip, cab, and bed with very little effort nowadays. Mine had the front clip R&R just last summer...not a big deal. HTH. Tom

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Highgturn:
This particular measurement on my 05 F-350 TowBoss is 55.3 inches. Load bed height is 35.3 inches. Considering there are several on this forum pulling the Excel with the new F-450 it appears that this dimension must still be in this ball park. I bet the engineers at Ford are all smiles knowing that GM made this brilliant decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

our 2006 2wd F350 crewcab towboss drops about 2.5 inches and we run right at 3k on the pin
i have roughly 5" of bed rail clearance
when the super duty came out, foord had a kit to drop the 4x4 s to a lower ht. using 2wd blocks on teh rears springs.
wonder f gm wil do this? ihave seen sme 08 3500 duallies and thought WOW they are as tall as dodges 3500 4x4
surely they will figure it out ????

btw cab lift off is pretty much a standard nw for working on the fords, takes less manhrs and allows the techs to get unemcumbered access
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powerboatr:
when the super duty came out, foord had a kit to drop the 4x4 s to a lower ht. using 2wd blocks on teh rears springs.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Robert,
DW and I were just talking yesterday about the unreasonable rail height of our F350 4x4. She can't reach anything in the truck bed
Can you tell me more about lowering an F350? I have the same truck as you, just a 2007. I don't have the overload spring.

Thanks much.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wrongway:
We had a customer come into today looking at a New Excel. He is also considering a New 2008 Chevy 1 ton or 3/4 ton Pickup.

In his truck shopping he has measured the back of the truck to find the height on the 1 ton at 59 & 1/2 inches from ground up.
On the 3/4 ton pickup it was approx. 2" lower.

The customers question to us is if the New 1 Tons are going to be able to fit under the Excel fifth wheels.

What he was looking at here was a Excel 26 RT Series Model TRW. We used our truck that was here and it measured 56& 1/2" from ground to top of box on the rear. The Excel is in the lowest setting on the axle riser (making it in the tallest overall position). What we were calculating is that with the 1 ton that he would have approx. 1" clearance between the bottom of the fifth wheel and the top of the box.

We have not had the opportunity to have a New 1 ton in the shop to work with yet (lots of 3/4's). Does or has anyone been around the New Chevy one tons and seen them hookup to a fifth, and what type of clearance did you happen to see.

Thanks for any information. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can we get back to the OP's topic?
Since we are planning on buying a 2008 GMC or Chevy 3500 DRW I would like to try to get some answers to Wrongway's question.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Bill, This is kind of the way threads go, some other people have questions about the same item but on a different truck. It will swing back to the original thread.

Bruce,

To answer your questions the only Ford that had the riser blocks was the F350 SRW 4X4. They had 4" blocks and the F250 had 2" blocks. They would put the 2" blocks on the F350 SRW to lower it. This is not on the F350. If you look under your truck and look at the blocks between your axle and the springs I think you will find that it is already the 2" one. Your truck must not have the Truck Camper Certification on it. That is,I believe, what will get the overload spring.

How high is it to the top of your bed rail at the rear of the bed? I didn't think the F350 DRW had this problem with so little bed clearance.

I think all of the truck builders are trying to see who can get the highest truck. A lot of people lift them so the manufacturer thinks that lifted look on the lot will attract them to their truck to begin with. At least this is my thinking. They just are not building them for people that want to use them to pull 5ers with as we are a very small precentage of buyers.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #21

Its unfortunate that maufacturers of lowring parts and kits havent stepped up to the plate and give a resolve to the problem. So at my shop I have. I take three inch lowering shackles that go to prior year chevy 1500s and weld reinforcements to the interior of them. powdercoat thema nd make them look real nice and install them. Some have come back and said well this still isnt low enough. GM has designed their rear suspension good enough that you can remove the helper spring in the rear leafs and be just fine. But thats a decision thats up to the customer not I.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
This great. Monday, I traded a 2500HD D/A with 15K miles on it for a "dually" 3500. Not because I was worried about the overall weight, but the rear axle would have been slightly overweight. With all the messages about overloading, lawsuits and such, and because I see some have TVs just short of Abrams tanks, I decided to do this. Please tell me this truck will work w/ a E33TKE w/o alterations.
Ed

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ed,
You'll be just fine with your combination. We went with the "Abrams Tank" for the durability and other capabilities. Our 1-ton dually was capable of towing our 35MKO. Enjoy the new ride and let us know how it compares to your 2500.
John
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Chief,I'm just trying to inject a little humor. My wife doesn't call me "the king of exaggerations" for nothing. I, like Wrongway, am worried about the height of this truck. I took it by my dealer this morning and they took measurements and don't see a problem if the Excel suspension is in the lower holes. I'm waiting to hear if anyone has this truck and responds.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ed, that's exactly how I took the "Abrams Tank" tag. In fact, if I didn't already have my bulldog named, I would consider your suggestion! Good luck buddy and keep us advised.
John
Old 03-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
My new Classic arrived yesterday and the folks @ RV Experience had me back up to the unit to see what adjustments had to be made. I am using the B&W Companion which is adjustable fore and aft/up and down. With the hitch in it's lowest and furthest back position, everything will be fine. With the hitch in the middle front to back setting, the tailgate all but hit the front of the coach (something to keep in mind). This is with the Excel suspension set at medium height.
By the way, my new 5th wheel is a beautiful sight.
Ed

Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats Ed! I know you and the family are excited about taking that first trip in your new Excel. We're all looking forward to hearing from you in the future.
John