Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
The running boards came from Ford. The lights on the running boards were done by Profab in Manheim Pennsylavania. I am weighing just about 19,000 lbs on the trailer loaded with gear and the two harley's. We have a transfer flow 50 gallon under the cover tanks with a pull rite 25K super 5 hitch. The pin weight is about 3200 lbs. I scaled everything at 29,020 on a recent trip. I don't get much squat. We do have the 5th airborne pin box. The best mpg trailering was about 8.6 but the 7.6 seems to be the number in the mountains. The truck ran great but now is being repaired after bad fuel. They had to pull off the cab and replace the injectors and high pressure pump. The truck stop is paying the costs. Now, I just hope it runs like it did before the accident.

2015 Cornerstone 45B Topaz
2013 Aspire DEQ Sold
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked up my `08 F-450 almost 2 weeks ago. Drove the heck out of it to get to 1,000 miles before my first pull. This truck is awesome. If you are looking for a Super Duty to pull a 5er, go with the F-450.

First, This truck drives more like a car than a truck. Much smoother ride than my `06 F-350. The steering is incredible. Very tight turning radius. My trailer weighs 16,250 and there is almost no squat at all. Taking off from a dead stop is smooth and powerful. With the brake controller set at 9.5, the stopping is awesome.

O know I sound like a walking TV commercial, but this truck is incredibly awesome.

John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
By all means, get the 450. It is much more truck for not a whole lot more money.

We just towed with ours for the first time this week, a 150 mile trip to the coast over a mountian pass and lots of curvey roads. What a difference from our 2000 350 SRW truck. Like you, I took awhile to decide between the 350 with 4:30 rear or 450 with 4:30. Look under the back of the 450 and compare the size of the rear axle to the 350. Brakes are larger all around.
2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch
2000 Snowbird SE 102 34+2
Michael C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #18
If you are pulling only 15 - 16K pounds, you can drive any one of the three major trucks in the one ton dually version - - take your pick. I would definitely opt for the 4.10 rear end in any one of them as a balance between mileage and good towing performance. The Dodge will probably give you the best overall mpg. Other than that, look for overall reliability and frequency of repair records you can find on major internet sites all over the web for each of the three trucks. Any one of their 1 tonners will handle that rig just fine - - no need to go any larger. Just look for reliability and which one fits you and your pocketbook the best.
2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #19
If this pricing is still correct, you can buy a Ford F450 for under $40K. That's less than for a F350.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #20
We have had our 08 F350 for 2 months now and MPG is 14+ unloaded. I find that nursing this beautiful vehicle, keep speed 55 or under when possible and RPM 2K or less will break it in right. Also get it to shift into OD right around 40 MPH and accelerate from there. This 6.4L engine has more than enough power to not have to tromp on it. I'm looking for 16+ MPG unloaded by the time we get our fiver next spring. As far as towing, with TowBoss, your Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGVW) is 17.7K lbs, depending if you have a dually and 4X4, etc. The TowBoss setup requires a 4.30 rear and so your fuel usage will be greater than if you have a SRW with 4.10 rear. By comparison, an F450 with the 4.30 rear, your CGVW is only 2.3K higher at 20K lbs. You also have a significantly higher price tag.
You need to visit a Ford dealer and get a copy of the 2008 Super duty RV & Trailer Towing Guide. You can also check various web sites for this info.
ChucknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Don't ignore the GVWR penalty of a SRW truck - this is (as I noted in an earlier post) the "gotcha" when looking only at GCWR and "manufacturer's trailer tow ratings" when a heavy 5th wheel with its ~20% pin weight is involved. You may be fine on GCWR and within the "manufacturer's trailer tow ratings" but well over the truck's GVWR. Buy the right tool for the job the first time.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #22
guys i really need your help, i am was planning on ordering a Ford super duty truck this week, i am almost set to order an F350 dual wheel with tow boss package, this truck will vary rarely be pulling anything put we plan to buy a 5th wheel next summer in the 38 to 40 ft range, do i really need to buy an f450 for this 5th wheel, or will the F350 be okay pulling that size RV 4 or 5 times a year? secondly do i really need the 4.30 gears for this weight as compareto a 4.10 rear?? I am confused-PLEASE HELP Thanks JIM
jimjnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I responded in your other post too.

I towed a heavier trailer (16,500 GVWR, 2700 pin wieght) with the F-350 it it towed very nicely. My F-350 had the TowBoss package as well. And I was NOT over the limits of the truck. If you are certain you will not end up with a much heavier trailer the F-350 will do fine. Based on the weights you list on the other post, you may be at the very limit (if not slightly over) with 4:10's. Depends on the actual weight (usually different than what you read) of the 5er. Will the 4:10's work for you? I'm sure they will. I doubt you would see very little degredation in performnce on a hill vs. 4:30's. What I've read, you will get about 1 MPG better with the 4:10's.

Sorry if I appear to be too anal, but we hear too often around here is that someone buys their truck and then it turns out to be not enough when they find the trailer they love. You are doing it the right way buy deciding on the trailer first, then get the truck you need.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:50 AM   #24
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Guys, for the couple extra thousand it may cost, upgrade to the 450. I had a f350, it towed my 35' "OK" but I do beleive I should have had a heavier truck. The newer trailers have a higher weight.
I will also say that MOST not all people will upgrade at least once if they really enjoy RV'ing. With a F450 you have allot more options down the road.

( I always had the wrong truck, and lost money going though the process, as did others. That is why this site is great so you don't make the same mistake I did.)
Lenny and Chrissy

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #25
Originally posted by RustyJC:
In response to your original question, a DRW truck is highly recommended for pulling a heavy 5th wheel. Since a 5th wheel transfers ~20% or more of its weight to the truck as pin weight, a SRW truck will invariably exceed its GVWR long before it reaches its "manufacturer's trailer tow rating" in a 5th wheel application.

The "gotcha" clause in the brochures that cite the manufacturer's trailer tow ratings is buried in the fine print with a statement similar to "None of the truck's other ratings are to be exceeded when towing."

Wow, how nice to find an RV site where the moderator understands how pin weight is payload and keeping within your GVWR is important. I have recently been banished from a popular owner site where the moderators know very little about truck specs. Popular high posters that run over 1000 pounds in excess of their truck GVWR ratings are constantly telling newbies that you do not need a dually to haul the heavy fivers because their own overloaded SRW trucks have never let them down. Disagree with this core group as some of them like to call themselves and you are kicked off the site.Some newbies go out and buy SRW 3/4 tons to haul 14000 pound Fifth wheels and thank these guys for their opinions. Unbelievable!!
This is a site where facts are more important than personalities and that is the way it should be.
2008 Silverado LTZ dually D/A
11400 GVWR and I need it all.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the kind words. I know some of the sites have a lot of "experts" that are driven by compassion rather than facts and the response reflect this compassion.

Rusty and I are both engineers and deal with specifications and numbers on a daily basis. You have to have a basis for your findings that need to be backed up with experience and ratings.

Oh, and WrenchTravler, glad to have you join our site.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #27
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Wow, how nice to find an RV site where the moderator understands how pin weight is payload and keeping within your GVWR is important.

It's just as refreshing to have a member who understands the importance of "doing it right".

Welcome to iRV2.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The final important item to remember is that it's ultimately YOUR responsibility to be sure your tow vehicle is properly matched to your rv. If you get into an accident with an overloaded tow, none of those "experts" (including the salesperson at the truck dealership) that told you the 3/4 ton SRW truck will easily haul that 40 ft loaded 5-r will save you from the lawyers spearheading the lawsuit.

Take your time, listen to the experience on THIS site, do your homework, run the numbers, then run them again. You won't be sorry. You will then have a combo you will enjoy & be secure in the knowledge it's safe out there on the roads.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote