Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
You might want to make a trip over the CAT scales just to find out where you are relative to your truck's ratings......

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #16

That is amazing - a FL did not squat the truck too much...cool. Seems to.handle ok too - that explains why I see SRW pulling big trailers. Saw two SRW F-350 trucks pulling 40 foot trailers. One was a Redwood Front Living. The diesel engines really can pull buy I am surprised the rest of the truck seems to be ok too. Again - cool for now.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hum, went up that 7% grade ok, that's good, passed the first test. Next test will be going down. Keep us informed how it went. Enjoy your new RV and be safe.
btritschler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefStan View Post
Elkhornsun,

Can you tell me if your friend with the 2006 DMAX 2500 is running air bags or any other type of suspension upgrade to pull his 35' 5er....or is he just running the standard rig

Thanks
The truck has the stock suspension but he did add the Trailair 5th-wheel king pin and said it made a tremendous difference. Talked to a fellow with a very large 5th wheel at a campground in Idaho a couple months back who was also using a 3/4 ton SRW truck though a Ram and he too had added the Trailair and said the difference was night and day. Before the change he could not have a cup of coffee in the center console holder without it bouncing out. With the Trailair the ride was so smooth that this was no longer a problem. Seems like a great design with the air bag and shock absorber to cushion and dampen movement.

Both mentioned wanting the SRW for driving around after they left the trailer at a campsite. Neither saw any need for a Dooley. They would want the Trailair with either truck type.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
Both mentioned wanting the SRW for driving around after they left the trailer at a campsite. Neither saw any need for a Dooley.
Naahhh, that ole GVWR and rear GAWR don't matter, I guess.

Rusty
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
I towed with a 2500 9 years and the trailer had 2100 lbs empty pin load. The GM had easily 3500lbs capacity.
To have same with my F250 I added extra plies to the springs. For stability I added one long ply and to smooth the ride loaded I added one more short ply.

So if you need to feel solid add the long ply to support the main ply. I had real smooth ride with my GM stock setup.

The Ford is heavier and I do feel confident towing our 39 ft 5th. And it tows better the previous 34ft one.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
None of which changed the manufacturer's GVWR or GAWR ratings one iota. A trip over the CAT scales will confirm whether or not one is within or exceeding these ratings. I'm sure the drivers of many overloaded trucks "feel" that they're just fine, until they're not!

My point above is that the higher GVWR and rear axle GAWR ratings are PRECISELY why a dually may be needed with a heavy 5th wheel. With the pin weight of a 5th wheel, it's not just what the truck can PULL, but also what it can CARRY. One can accept it or ignore it and operate the truck over its ratings, but those are the facts.

Rusty
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
The truck has the stock suspension but he did add the Trailair 5th-wheel king pin and said it made a tremendous difference. Talked to a fellow with a very large 5th wheel at a campground in Idaho a couple months back who was also using a 3/4 ton SRW truck though a Ram and he too had added the Trailair and said the difference was night and day. Before the change he could not have a cup of coffee in the center console holder without it bouncing out. With the Trailair the ride was so smooth that this was no longer a problem. Seems like a great design with the air bag and shock absorber to cushion and dampen movement.

Both mentioned wanting the SRW for driving around after they left the trailer at a campsite. Neither saw any need for a Dooley. They would want the Trailair with either truck type.
Thanks for the advice, I will go and check into the Trailair 5th-Wheel kingpin today
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:
None of which changed the manufacturer's GVWR or GAWR ratings one iota. A trip over the CAT scales will confirm whether or not one is within or exceeding these ratings. I'm sure the drivers of many overloaded trucks "feel" that they're just fine, until they're not!

My point above is that the higher GVWR and rear axle GAWR ratings are PRECISELY why a dually may be needed with a heavy 5th wheel. With the pin weight of a 5th wheel, it's not just what the truck can PULL, but also what it can CARRY. One can accept it or ignore it and operate the truck over its ratings, but those are the facts.

Rusty
Agreed.
I have a 2005 GMC 2500 Crew Cab D/A 4X4 and have been pulling a Montana with 11,485 UVW, 14,225 GVWR and 2225 Hitch Weight. I just traded this unit for a much smaller 5er due to these weight issues that I am concerned about. I have been reading that I need 10% to 15% reserve weight capacity in order to tow safely and there is no way that I have that with my existing set up. I am also very uncomfortable when towing my rig because it "feels" too heavy to me (I emphasize, "to me"). Therefore, I believe that I am in an unsafe condition. I am looking forward to the smaller 5er so that I can relax at the end of a day's traveling rather than having to unwind from a stressful day of driving
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #24

a toyota tundra can tow the space shuttle (292,500lbs)

I figure you should be good to go!
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #25

Quote:

Rusty

No they do not. What counts for towing is the GCWR which is often overlooked by people. That figure covers the load that the engine and transmission and suspension and frame can safely handle without excessive wear and premature failure.

With my 2011 GM 2500HD 3/4 ton SWR truck the GCWR is 24,500 lbs. and subtracting the 7,000 lb weight of the truck leaves a potential trailer and passenger load of 17,500 lbs. for the truck. And yet people question pulling a 12,000 lb. trailer with these trucks. Time to catch up.

It takes minutes to download manufacturers' trailering guides and truck specifications which include maximum TT and 5th-wheel trailer weights and GCWR information for different models of STOCK trucks. The stock truck GCWR is based on how the truck is configured when it leaves the factory. Any changes after that can increase or decrease the safe GCWR.

Does anyone think that you can add a 8" lift kit and put on 35" tires and not affect the safe towing and payload capacity of a pickup? Or conversely add a axle truss, helper springs, 19.5 rims and G rated tires, and not increase the safe payload capacity? If none of this changes anything then why do so many people spend the time and money making these changes?
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
None of those changes modify the sticker in the driver's door jamb insofar as the maximum GVWR and rear GAWR that provide the maximum total loading for the truck and rear axle (respectively) as rated by the truck's manufacturer.

Rusty
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
elkhornsun,
The GCWR is generic example on the 03 to 07 GM Duramax is 22,000#, whether it is a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton dually. The GVW and GAWR are the limiting factors with the individual vehicles. Even with the upgraded weight ratings of the 2011 GM, the 3/4 ton is overloaded with a 16,000# 5er, it is over gross and over on the RAWR. period.
Rusty is absolutly correct in what he is saying.
Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #28

IIRC, and I could be wrong, and it's not the same as the OPs truck, but the difference between my 2001 GMC K2500HD and the K3500 SRW was nothing but the standard engine. K2500HD was standard with the 6L, 8.1 or Duramax w/allison were options. 3500SRW had the 8.1 as standard, Duramax as an option. Brakes, frame size, tow ratings all the same.

The dually option obviously changes the amount the rear end can carry, but the brakes are usually the same unless the wheel diameter increases to allow bigger components - AND with the dually stuff the truck is heavier.

The OP didn't say whether his was a standard K2500 or an HD.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote