Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

2008 or 2011 Chevy Duramax

Does anyone know of any pros or cons with the 2008 or 2011 Chevy Duramax diesel. I am in the market looking at both of these similar price similar mileage looking to see if either year had any big issues
Kingw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #2

The 08's were the first year (actually 07 1/2 was) with the DPF and had problems with the oil being diluted with fuel. The later 11's overcame that problem with a separate injector for the DPF. Also the need for DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) started in 2011 which might be a negative for you. The frames and brakes were beefed up in 2011 along with hp.
The 2011 will of course be more money, but will be well worth it in the long run.
IMO, I'd prefer the 2011. I owned a 2011 GMC Denali dually which was the best truck I ever owned. The wife wanted a motorhome so I ended up trading it and our fifth wheel in on one.
If you want to spend less, I'd look for a clean 2007 Classic with the LBZ engine which is the best pre-DPF.
But in the end, either truck will serve you well.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Was that a real big problem with 08s or is it something that would've already been fixed if it was a problem. This will be my first diesel truck so I know very little about diesel engines as I've always had gas
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #4

Not a problem if the oil is changed regularly, but not conducive to extended oil changes using synthetic oil.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated. One last question, for the 2007 to find one with the lbz engine it would have to be before the body style changed correct? The 07s that I've been seeing are half old style and half new style
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

I would do the def truck personally, the engine will be tuned differently, run cooler and will have less regen cycles. Better way to go.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The 11 has more power, heavier frame and suspension, also integrated trailer brake and exhaust brake, much better truck. The 08 is a good truck, just the 11 has been refined and updated.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

I have a '12 Denali and so far it has been really reliable, with great power. Depending on where you live, you might be able to delete the DPF and retune the engine accordingly on the '08. There are all kind of kits for doing this.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated. One last question, for the 2007 to find one with the lbz engine it would have to be before the body style changed correct? The 07s that I've been seeing are half old style and half new style
Yes, the old style, referred to as Classic, has the LBZ motor in it. The later 07 1/2,s are the new body style referred to as NBS. The 07 1/2 - 10 have the LMM motor with the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). In 11 they changed to the LML which has the DPF and also DEF.

The LBZ motor will get the best fuel mileage, followed by the 11 and later with DEF. The LMM will get a little less than the other two.

I also owned an 07 LBZ dually that was stolen out of my driveway. It was an awesome truck and I would have kept it and not bought the 11 Denali if it hadn't been ripped off.

Anyway, to correctly answer your original question, none of the above have any serious inherent problems. Any of them will make you an awesome truck.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

Thanks again. I have 2 dealers sort of battling on 2 different 11s right now. One is a short bed which I don't want but the dealers are 2 doors down from each other and it's working to my advantage. The truck I want is a long bed crew can with 44k miles 4x4. I think you were right in the beginning and I will be happier with the 2011.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I have a '12 Denali and so far it has been really reliable, with great power. Depending on where you live, you might be able to delete the DPF and retune the engine accordingly on the '08. There are all kind of kits for doing this.
But it would be illegal and stupid to do so. I add DEF once every 3,000 miles and get it at the pumps at the truck stops when I need it. It reduces emissions by 97% so why would you screw with that and pollute the air for everyone? The fleet operators like the engines with DEF as they burn cleaner and the motor oil lasts longer with fewer contaminants being added so the trucks can go longer between service. It is the hot rodders that want to remove the emissions controls as was done with cat converters in the 1970's. They remove the controls and chip the engine and then proceed to blow the transmission. Not the brightest people around.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #12

Well, Elk, I didn't mean to put a burr under your saddle. I mentioned this because in some cases the emission controls put on a few different years diesel trucks have proved to be problematic, and no solution is offered by GM. However there are aftermarket companies that have addressed these shortcomings and have given owners a solution to having their truck perform at its best. I like the total lack of smoke and smell from the exhaust on my 2012, but not so much the extra fuel burned to regenerate the particulate filter.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #13

You are recommending that people break the law and disable the federally mandated emissions controls. No different then telling someone to go ahead and buy a kit to make their assault rifle fully auto or how to make a silencer for their pistol. All vehicles have problems of one kind or another. Lots of people whined about seat belts and catalytic converters and having to buy unleaded gasoline. A lot of these whiners had their lives saved by seat belts or ABS brakes or air bags, all of which the auto companies said were too expensive and would cause them to go out of business. The aftermarket DEF and cat converter delete kits are designed to increase fuel economy at the cost of a 100 fold increase in soot out the tailpipe. But lots of the kids doing this think that large plumes of black smoke are actually cool and make their truck look bad. If I am going to tow or haul a large load and need a diesel engine that is part of the cost. If I have to put in DEF fluid every other month to keep the emissions free of soot then that is the price I pay for having the truck. I have a Duramax that despite being so badly hobbled by its emissions controls still manages to produce 765 lb ft of torque and 396 HP and gets 20 MPG on the highway when empty. I could add to the polluted air that others breathe and spend $2,000 on delete kits and a tuner and get an extra 2-3 MPG and have a breakeven on my costs after about 75,000 miles. Somehow that does not seem like a smart move on any level.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Elk. These are the people that don't think about their children or grandchildren. All they want is 1000s of horsepower so they can talk smack. My 2011 2500hd is fast as hell being stock and pulls my 30' T/T just fine. And it looks hot!
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote