Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
2008 Yukon and brake controller

I have a 2008 Yukon XL that I want to get a brake controller installed on (looking at TTs and still deciding on which one). I like the price point on the Prodigy P2 and the user reviews seem to be good (not the best, but very good). My question is what else do I need besides the P2 that comes in the box (harness, etc)? Anything? I tried to talk to someone at the service desk at my local CW today, but let's just say I didn't get the warm and fuzzies. I was actually planning to let them do the install, but I might look elsewhere. The Yukon came with a tow hitch and pre-wired for a trailer, but I can't find any information on anything to do with a brake controller in the owner's manual. Thanks in advance for any info.

2Humans3Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

It's been a number of years since I installed a Prodigy, and that was in a Dodge P/U. Overall the instructions were good.

I would caution you to read carefully your manual on the Yukon's trailer tow capacity, others have posted that the found the TTC surprisingly low, after weighing their vehicle.
I'll see if I can find the last post on the Yukon.

In " Trailer Towing & Tow Vehicles " read the first post listed
"Tow Vehicle Sizing & Weight Calculators "
Then in the blue bar above , click " Search this Forum "
In the drop box enter " Towing Capabilities " then click search
Look for the post by " Master Gunner " on what he went through looking for a trailer to tow with his Yukon.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Yeah, I'm aware of my towing limitations with the Yukon. I'm looking at trailers with a total dry weight of less than 5000lbs (to include any options). I'm still not going to be going anywhere fast. What I do have going for me is I removed (the very heavy) third row seat right after I purchased it and I don't have kids (well, three big dogs, but they don't travel with as much "stuff"). I am going to be very conscious of packing and weight issues.

It seems the Prodigy P2 has to wired to a bundle under the dash near the steering column. No plug and play, but not too hard. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The P2 is a decent 2nd tier brake controller. If you want a much better on, look at a MaxBrake. It is based on hydraulic pressure at the master cylinder. But alas, they are out of business now. People want cheap and not better. Same thing happened to the Jordan 2020 controller.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

2008 GM pickups had optional integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). Pickups that didn't come with one could by modified by a GM technician to add it. Not recommended for a DIYer. A Yukon XL is just a modified pickup with a heavier body, so your GM dealer can probably add the ITBC to your tow vehicle. That would be a much better brake controller than any aftermarket controller available today. I love the ITBC in my Ford.

Here is the heading on the 2008 GM service bulletin dated in March 2008:

Originally Posted by GM service bulletin
Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2003993

#PIT4332B: Adding Integrated Trailer brake Controller RPO JL1 - keywords connector electric hydraulic itbc tow towing wire wiring - (Aug 16, 2007)

Subject: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2008 GMC Sierra
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
I called my local GM dealer and asked about this. I was told that they could hook up an aftermarket part that I picked up from NAPA (his words) or some other place. I then asked if there was no GM part and he said there wasn't, just aftermarket. Told me about $90 labor to hook it up.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
If your Yukon is pre-wired then you will find those wires under your steering wheel(under dash). GM does not use a plug style harness. You will find 5 wires that are just cutoff at the end. You will use all except for the orange wire. Also 2 wires under your hood on either side of your fuse box must be connected to the posts in the front of this fuse box. They are red wires and are hard to find as they are Buried on either side of the fuse box. Once that is complete all you have to do is install a 40 amp fuse. Simple right?! Lol! Search on YouTube for it..you will find it. I searched for a "2010 GMC Sierra break controler install" and found it. Good luck.

Take5er is offline   Reply With Quote