Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #15

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have been seeing that the diesel is the engine of the future. I also read that in 2010 CAT is going to drop it's over the road engines and build only off road. It seems they are looking at more ways to get diesel other than crude oil.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #16

310/520 is some serious power. Wonder what drive train GM will use behind that kind of power for a 1500 size vehicle.

Jim

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #17

I don't think that is a 1500 series vehicle.

It has "HD" in the name and 8 bolt wheels, so my guess is that will be a 2500 or 3/4 ton and it looks like GM finally has a great looking set of HD wheels.

So far, I don't see the king of the hill 12,000 pound maximum trailer weight limit of old big block Burb or the name "ALLISON" on the potential build sheet .

Rarely do production vehicles look as impressive or visially impossing as show or concept vehicles (save for the old Avalanche), so we will have to wait and see what it actually looks like after the bean counters have had their say.

Will GM have 240 month financing in 2011 or 2012?

Mike.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #18

Hey Mike, I did hear there was a 1500HD in the works. The diesel engine was supposed to be the same size as the 350 CID. Now this was pre- "crazy fuel prices." Saw an extensive interview with Rick Wagoner yesterday, and there was no mention of a new diesel truck...or any truck for that matter......

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougalicious:
I think they're going to be manufactured in New York, some place called Tonawanda or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wrote a small piece about this in the Workhorse Forum. Yes the new DMax is going to be manufactured in the refurbished Tonawanda plant where the venerable 8.1L was mode for so many years. I believe production will begin in 2010.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #20

Hi Brad, ah yes I recall the GM 1500HD pickups which gave GM bragging rights for the best 1/2 ton towing capacity at the time - even though it had a 2500 chassis and drivetrain.

Tonawanda plant is the one in the local news for this engine, but with truck production capacity being slashed - not too sure what to expect.

Now, if only GM would import the G8 GT Sport Wagon, it would the trips to the hockey arena for our kids much more enjoyable eh!

Mike.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 6MISFITZ:
So far, I don't see the king of the hill 12,000 pound maximum trailer weight limit of old big block Burb or the name "ALLISON" on the potential build sheet . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason for the "taller" cab mounts on the GM HD series trucks isn't to allow room for larger engines, rather it's for the Allison transmission. Since the Suburban is based on the non-HD variants, and doesn't lend itself as well as a pickup does to the higher HD cab/body mounting position, expect to see it equipped with a conventional GM four, or possibily a variant of the newer six speed automatic -- but not the Allison.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to RoryTek
Well on page 84 of the October issue of Diesel Power will answer all of your questions about the new D-Max. Get this, the the turbo is mounted in the V of the block, the block is at 72 degrees and the exhaust is inboard intake is outboard.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
I sure hope that engine finds it's way into the Tahoe line. That would be my dream machine

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RoryTek:
Get this, the the turbo is mounted in the V of the block, the block is at 72 degrees and the exhaust is inboard intake is outboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
72 degree bank angle suggests that someone was ultimately thinking V-10! Plumbing the exhaust in the center of the vee is common practice on industrial engines as (in this case) it simplifies piping exhaust to the turbo. Ditto outboard ports for intake air - most turbocharged industrial engines will have an intercooler for each bank.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote