Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #15

I have a 08 6.0 gas two wheel drive and I have to agree with those that suggest going with a different truck or lighter trailer. Once you load that trailer I just think your going to be to far past the design perimeters of the motor. I've ordered a pretty light aluminum toy hauler, empty weight should come in around 5300, loaded should come in around about 8500 well below my 10,300 limit. I don't think you really have the torque with the 6.0 to pull much more then that.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
I have a 08 6.0 gas two wheel drive and I have to agree with those that suggest going with a different truck or lighter trailer. Once you load that trailer I just think your going to be to far past the design perimeters of the motor. I've ordered a pretty light aluminum toy hauler, empty weight should come in around 5300, loaded should come in around about 8500 well below my 10,300 limit. I don't think you really have the torque with the 6.0 to pull much more then that.
I agree the engine will fail way before the power train will. If you open the exhaust with proper muffler you might have a chance to keep the heat down. I stretched the studs on my v6 Ranger on the first trailer pulling trip. With proper open exhaust I towed 3 more years and 100k more miles with no more problems. But OP has a warranty problem. I vote for proper truck to tow the trailer of choice. Truck should be chosen after trailer choice. After all most HD trucks are not much different.,

Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #17

We currently pull a 30' 7100lb travel trailer and my truck does pretty good. We use to pull it with an Infinity QX56 which pulled just as good but had a leveling system that struggled. That said, the dealer estimated $2000 for the work, which is fine but the game changer would be that I would loose the remainder of my 4 1/2 years of drivetrain warranty on my gears and "basically" whatever is attached to it. We've decided to lower our weight range to 8000-8500lb. We always travel empty, just full propane. Thanks everyone, very helpful. First time using this was great!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Your 2500 is limited by the cooling capacity of the gas engine. If you tow to heavy it will be hard on tranny also. Its your call and be ready to move to a diesel.
That's why almost new gas Models end up on dealers lots.
Amazing level of ignorance. The towing capacity is limited by the 3.73 rear end. Exact same gas engine powered 2500HD with the 4.10 is rated 25% higher with its towing capacity. The rear end gearing affects primarily the engine and load it can handle without having the motor oil squeezed out of the crankshaft's journals. When GM upped the power of its diesels from 520 to 765 ft lbs. of torque this was a key part of the engine that was re-engineered.

Change your rear end gears to 4.10 and your truck can handle up to 13,000 lbs. with a ball hitch and over 14,000 lbs. with a 5th-wheel. Hard to understand why people buy an expensive truck without taking a few minutes to download and read the manufacturer's towing guide.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post

Amazing level of ignorance. The towing capacity is limited by the 3.73 rear end. Exact same gas engine powered 2500HD with the 4.10 is rated 25% higher with its towing capacity. The rear end gearing affects primarily the engine and load it can handle without having the motor oil squeezed out of the crankshaft's journals. When GM upped the power of its diesels from 520 to 765 ft lbs. of torque this was a key part of the engine that was re-engineered.

Change your rear end gears to 4.10 and your truck can handle up to 13,000 lbs. with a ball hitch and over 14,000 lbs. with a 5th-wheel. Hard to understand why people buy an expensive truck without taking a few minutes to download and read the manufacturer's towing guide.
I towed with 50% overload for 16 years and the engine failed to perform long before the rear end and tranny failed. But was able to tow with no issues. With proper standard tranny a good driver can protect the drive train much better and its always rated much lower then automatics. And I would rather overload a standard then an automatic any day due to much less train on the engine with better operating RPM range.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #20

There is also a difference in the MPG loss with the lower rear end with the new 6-speed transmissions. With GM the 5th and 6th gears are both overdrive gears and more than compensate for the 4.10 rear end gearing.

I travel around the western mountains and appreciate a diesel with a heavy load but if I was traveling around in the central or eastern USA then I would be a lot less concerned about the engine. A friend pulled a large sailboat around Texas using a Volkswagen beetle. Surprised me but he said all he needed was enough torque to get up the boat ramps.

People tend to underestimate the cost of switching from one truck to another. The sales tax alone in most states for the new truck is going to be several thousand dollars and that is money that is often better spend on the current truck.

Still goes back to taking the time to download the readily available towing guides from the truck manufacturers' websites and taking a couple hours to digest the information before going off to buy a truck and then buy a trailer and only then discover that you bought the wrong truck for the job.
I have never been able to get this information from the dealers but it is easy now with the internet to get it directly from the manufacturers.

Tags
towing, weight