Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab What Can I Tow?

My truck has a 5500 GVWR and it is a 2011 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab

I know I can tow the Casita and Scamp type TT's.

But what else can I tow? If you could post Brand and Maker. I will Google them and check them out.

Thanks so much...

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

There are alot of TT under 5000# Gross Weight. I googled Forest River, Fox, and a few others when I was looking for a lite weight TT for my SUV. Decided to stay with the MH. I found many that I would be able to stay under 3500# with my SUV.

Good Luck
Arnold

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks awarnes... That's where I am at. I need to sell my MH before I do anything and I am in the searching stage right now. We don't really want to sell but it is time. We are 62 and do not travel like we wanted to when we bought our MH. Now all we want to do is camp local and maybe take a long slow trip once in a while.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
My truck has a 5500 GVWR and it is a 2011 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab...
Your truck has a GVWR of 5300 and an optimistic tow rating of 5,500 pounds. It has a GCWR of 9,500 pounds. But to tow a trailer that weighs 5,500 pounds would mean that your wet aand loaded truck weighs only (9,500 GCWR minus 5,500 trailer =) 4,000 pounds. And I'll guarantee you that your truck weighs a lot more than 4,000 pounds.

No one can answer your question until you load the truck with everything you will have in it when towing; people, pets, tools, jacks, camping supplies, extra fliuds and parts, trailer hitch shank/ball mount/ball, etc., and a full tank of gas. Weigh the wet and loaded truck on a CAT scale.

Subtract the weight of the truck from the GCWR to get max trailer weight you can tow without burning up something in the drivetrain, and without blocking traffic when climbing hills and mountain passes.

Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from the GVWR and that will give you the max hitch weight you can have without overloading the suspension of your pickup.

Your limiter is probably hitch weight. Divide the max hitch weight computed above by 0.15 and the answer is the max GVWR of any TT you should consider.

Post the max trailer weight and max hitch weight you can have, and someone will be glad to search the web looking for suitable TTs.

Based on your tow rating of 5,500 pounds, I would guess that the max trailer weight you could tow without being overloaded is about 4,000 to 4,500 pounds. But that's a WAG, so you need to get the actual weights before anyone can give you a better answer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
In searching and asking around I kinda sorta know the weights I want to stay at. But now I am wondering how to see around the darn thing. Ha ha ha.... I did a NADA on my truck with in only having 10,000 miles on it, it is worth 21k so there may be a new 1500 in my future...... Now to convince the little woman....

Smoky great post.....
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
... so there may be a new 1500 in my future......
Pay attention to detail for the new Chevy 1500.

You can get one that won't pull the hair out of a gnat's hiney if you don't get really specific in the specs of what you want. Assuming a CrewCab 4x4, the you want the 6.2L engine and 3.73 axle ratio. That gets you GVWR 7300, GCWR 16,000, and the overstated tow rating of 10,400. Actual tow rating will be closer to 9,400. That means if you want to tow a trailer that might weigh more than 9,400, then you don't want a 1500. Move up to a 2500, or better yet a 2500 diesel.
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 | Full Size Pickup Truck Capabilities | Chevrolet
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the advice... I think we will be OK with a 5.3 with 3.42 rear end Ext Cab we are not looking at any trailer to big anyway. Maybe 21' at the most. We want to be able to travel and not worry about being to big to stop at a National Park or Forest Service or Corp of Engineers campgrounds....
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #8

Location: Returned to home in CA to become a grandparent for the first time.
And when it comes down the buying, you may want to use the Before You Buy RV app that is web based and readable on iOS and Android. Before You Buy RV or Tow Vehicle Compatibility Checker
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Try searching (Google or other) under "half ton towable" trailers.