Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #15

What is too hot for the transmission on the Tahoe?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
What is too hot for the transmission on the Tahoe?
The tranny engineers and developers say 225 F. sump temp is the redline for any ATF in any automagic tranny. You can exceed 225 F. only if you can see the top of the pass in front of you. Otherwise, stop, put the tranny in neutral or park, elevate the idle RPM to 1,300, and twiddle your thumbs until the tranny temp drops to below 210.

With my previous tow vehicle, I added an analog tranny temp gauge that gave me sump temp. I had an aftermarket oil-to-air tranny cooler that was much, much bigger than stock, and I never saw over 205. I also used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and changed it every 30k miles. I had zero tranny problems during almost 200,000 miles including about 100,000 miles of towing an 8,000 pound 5er.

My 2012 F-150 Lariat has a built-in digital tranny temp gauge. It runs a bit warmer than my old F-250 diesel, but never even close to 225 F. Usually around 192 and rarely up to 205.

2002-up Ford SuperDuty pickups had a factory tranny temp gauge, but it was misleading. Green meant go. Yellow meant you were too hot, so stop and cool off. Red meant bend over and kiss your ole hiney goodby, because your tranny is cooked. Much better than the factory gauge was to add an aftermarket gauge with numbers from 100 to 280, so you knew for sure when you were getting close to 225. Most tranny temp gauges go from 140 to 320,but with those you never see the gauge move off the peg in the wintertime, so you wonder if it still works. Most automagic trannies will get over 100, even in 40-below weather, so 100 is a good number for the bottom peg.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #17

Smokey, the transmission in your F150 is a 6R80 and to check the fluid level, the trans temp needs to be 193-215F as this is a normal working range. Before a failsafe kicks in to prevent transmission damage, the fluid temps will reach 275F. 225F may have been for much older transmissions but many newer ones are in the low 200 range for normal operation. They also have thermostatic expansion valves that allow the transmission to get up to temp quicker and then maintain it by allowing some fluid to the cooler (s).This only applies to Ford transmissions as this is where most of my knowledge is.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #18

Does this apply to a Chevy Tahoe? 225 is max on my Excursion. I have digital gauges set with alarms prior to max temps. My father in law has the Tahoe and it has a built in digital Trans temp gauge. Want to confirm his max temp so we can shut it down prior.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenoit28 View Post
Does this apply to a Chevy Tahoe? 225 is max on my Excursion. I have digital gauges set with alarms prior to max temps. My father in law has the Tahoe and it has a built in digital Trans temp gauge. Want to confirm his max temp so we can shut it down prior.
Your 5R110W should typically run under 200F. However failsafe is also set to occur at 270F. I would talk to a GM trans tech to see where they set the fail safe and what is typical transmission temps.