Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #15

Agreed.
But in my province I can tow as much as the tires can carry. Any more is overloaded, therefore my truck can load 15000 lbs but registered for only 12000lbs.
I do need to up my Registration.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #16

I towed a 5,500lb trailer with a 2011 5.0 litre F-150. The truck knew the trailer was back there and any gasoline engine will go from 20mph not towing to 10mpg towing.

If I had your Jayco trailer I would tow it with a 1/2 ton truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBar View Post

folks can "what if" most anything to most any extreme .... the person at fault in an accident as outlined above has liability issues no matter if he is towing in or out of spec .... a person who doesn't have an accident or is in an accident that wasn't his fault has no such issues .... internet rumors most certainly run rampant in all directions .... try to find one single case where an insurance company failed to pay a claim due to towing specs .... if you can, I'd most certainly appreciate a link to the proof but my bet is, you can't ..... it can't be done because according to the people in the industry I have talked with, it tell me it hasn't happened .... the key word is fault .... the person at fault is in trouble period .... in my insurance policy there isn't any mention of towing within manufacture or any other specs and I've never heard of such a provision in any policy .... it does seem to me that it would be wise for insurance companies to have such qualifiers but to my knowledge it hasn't happened yet .... here again a link to positive proof to the contrary would be appreciated

Jim
I agree with this. I know a commercial fleet broker who told me this exact same thing. The party at fault is the party at fault whether they are in a Honda civic or an overloaded space shuttle. I trust this broker, she sleeps next to me every night. You CAN however be denied if you have not registered the correct GCWR for insurance. For example she registered me to 14000 or 16000 or some ridiculous number so my insurance was always adequate. For pennies on the dollar- too much is a good thing

There was only one link that circulated a while ago about some guy that was supposedly cited for towing over capacity, killed people, lost everything, changed the moons orbit, yadda yadda. Turned out to be a hoax.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Disagree. You're ignoring the entire legal aspects of towing while exceeding any of the manufacturer's weight limits. If you get into an accident where someone gets injured or killed while towing overloaded over any of the manufacturer's weight ratings, then you will probably be a poor person for the remainder of your life. The lawyers will be certain you never again have any spending money for frivolous pursuits such as RVing
So Disappointing to see this type of FUD being spread. I for one believed in towing within spec, but telling someone if they are overloaded on cargo weight and have an accident, regardless of fault, they are on their own because insurance won't cover them is simply not true.

As others have said show one legitimate example of this happening.

Or maybe you can explain why insurance companies routinely cover other claims where laws are broke? Plenty of drunk drivers seem to have claims paid. What about speeders? Or folks hurt in an accident while not wearing a safety belt.
Clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #19

Insurance companies play the numbers game really well. They know how much litigation costs and their odds of winning or losing in court. They do pay claims - BUT they do go after at fault drivers all the time. So, if someone is illegally towing, and get in a wreck, just know they CAN come after you if they believe they can win and get something from you. Anyone want to be the example everyone is asking for?

I would not want to incur the costs of a lawyer to fight theirs. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is a phrase I do not want to find out if it is true because I have heard it is true. I'd rather spend my money on a bigger truck than fighting their lawyers.

For newbie towers looking for advice, if they are close on their numbers it is safer to advise them have too much truck than not enough!

Now, if a 1/2 ton does fit your needs and does the job, lets hear more of what you are towing.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Insurance companies play the numbers game really well. They know how much litigation costs and their odds of winning or losing in court. They do pay claims - BUT they do go after at fault drivers all the time. So, if someone is illegally towing, and get in a wreck, just know they CAN come after you if they believe they can win and get something from you. Anyone want to be the example everyone is asking for?

agree but with one major addition .... the spin of leaving the qualifier of "at fault" out of the conversation changes everything .... if a person is determined to be at fault, it doesn't matter if there were towing in or out of spec, that person is in trouble .... if a person isn't at fault, I can't see any way an insurance company would want to go to court and contend to the jury that the reason they are suing a person who didn't cause the wreck just because they don't like the numbers for his rig .... I personally, wouldn't mind being the one to go to court under such circumstances, the way many folks feel about insurance companies, even with major lawyer fees, it would be like winning the lottery

Jim
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #21

Thinking about the 2 posters that don't believe about legal repercussions has got me mad that I have to recall details of a event that I was part of. HERE IS YOUR EXAMPLE OF INSURANCE COMPANIES COMING AFTER SOMEONE

I was headed to work on a 4 lane highway with 20' median with openings for side roads. I saw a vehicle coming from a road to my left about to cross in front of 2 lanes of traffic. I moved from the left lane to allow a lane for said vehicle to enter. The driver must have misjudged or did not see the second lane they pulled out in front of and was hit in the left rear causing their vehicle to spin and flip. It stopped in the median next to the the roadway opposite me - more than 20' from the lane I just vacated. Something was flying through the air towards my truck as I passed the scene as it was happening. I swerved as hard as I could to avoid what I believed to be Christmas packages and had to take corrective actions in the ditch to keep from wrecking myself. I however, did feel a bump, as I missed it with my front tire, I thought the flying object would hit my door, but landed under my left rear wheel. The package turned out to be the driver! Highway Patrol said I wasn't at fault and I did everything I could have.

Their estate and insurance company came after me. My insurance stepped up. They settled and got a release for me for any farther actions. I asked "why settle when I wasn't at fault? " They said it was cheaper than litigation - WIN OR LOSE! BTW, they gave the estate $50,000 I didn't have!

So now you have a real life example and I wasn't even towing! Thanks you for making me recall that in your ignorant non belief about not being able to be financially liable.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #22

Holy weight police Batman this thread has really gotten off track.
The OP has a perfect setup and just wanted to get some assurance and this thread is not about flying bodies.
To the OP just hitch up and go camping, you're spot on your setup.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Their estate and insurance company came after me. My insurance stepped up. They settled and got a release for me for any farther actions. I asked "why settle when I wasn't at fault? " They said it was cheaper than litigation - WIN OR LOSE! BTW, they gave the estate $50,000 I didn't have!.
and therein lies the bottom line .... you weren't at fault, your insurance company honored their liability protection, you were covered .... that's real world .... a fellow towing within/out of spec should have insurance .... if you had of gone to court, no way you would have lost .... in short, not an issue and I'm happy you weren't harmed physically or financially

Jim
Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #24

Jayco Owners Club
Wow, what a discussion my little question has generated! All interesting stuff tho.

I came across this thread on an F150 forum that I thought might get people excited. I am amazed at what some people are towing!
Lets see your campers being towed - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #25

I had a salesperson tell me. " if you are overweight, the accident is automatically your fault, and be fined at least the minimum fine of 10,000 dollars, plus insurance will not pay"
At that point, I tuned him out, like I do when any salesperson is using his imagination.
The whole point of insurance is to cover you when you are wrong......
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
Wow, what a discussion my little question has generated! All interesting stuff tho.

I came across this thread on an F150 forum that I thought might get people excited. I am amazed at what some people are towing!
Lets see your campers being towed - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
This current gen F150 is one of the best half ton towing platforms out there. I'd still have mine if the engine didn't pop, or I would be in another if they had been willing to deal on a 6.2L and not try to force an ecoboost on me. I loved it. Solid truck.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #27

Well, this is my first post to irv2, and I guess I'll just wade right in. Just got back from my first trip with a 2008 Jayco 29BHS that I pulled with a 2002 Yukon XL 1500. GVWR for the trailer is 7500, and I figure I had it at 6500. I filled it with water and whatever else for the weekend. Not chock full, but reasonably normal stuff.

Towed it up the Cajon grade in CA, starting from a near dead stop (due to traffic) and was passing regular passenger cars (that were on my left) before I got to the top. I was suitably impressed. I had no trouble to speak of. I will say that my max comfortable speed is 65 mph, and the couple of times I edged over that to get some spacing for a lane change I felt like I was pushing it. But the speed limit is 55 mph for towing trailers anyway, so I think 65 max is more than reasonable.

I have not weighed my rig, and don't plan to. Why not, you may ask? After this trip, with a couple of sudden stops needed in traffic, a major grade pulled without trouble, no sway problems, etc. I wonder what difference it would make how much it weighed? I am around the limit plus or minus I guess, but I am not thousands of pounds over it. I had no issues, and for the once a month max use that I will get out of the trailer, I doubt my drivetrain will wear prematurely in a way that I will notice even if I happen to be over. Certainly no difference in wear than being completely within limits while towing.

I admit that after reading this forum and doing research, I fretted a bit on this issue when I first started out. I have a 5.3 motor with a 3.73 rear, and the manual says I can tow 7800. So I realized my tongue weight and the weight of the wife and kid and their food (okay, OUR food) might hit the payload max and then what, get a new TV or a different (read smaller) trailer? I finally said that my desired trailer would tape out close enough for government work and rolled with it.

I will say that if I had hit the wall going up the grade or I found control issues that concerned me, I would go ahead and upgrade. But I enjoy the ride of a 1500 chassis more than a 3500 and I drive the Yukon almost daily so that is a factor in my equation. Another factor is that my personal comfort level towing any kind of trailer is fairly high, since I have towed motorcycles, flatbeds and a boat (6000 lbs on the trailer) and had no trouble. I even towed the boat for a time with an Astro van before getting a bigger TV, and while not ideal or recommended I did okay (no hills to destroy my engine). But my point is I was already comfortable towing large items before getting this trailer, and some people just starting out with a trailer might be more intimidated or uncomfortable. I just wasn't worried about size or weight in terms of my abilities but everyone is different in that regard.

Last, on the insurance thing in this thread. If you have insurance and are at fault, your insurance company will pay the claim even if your rig is overweight. The reason is that they are more afraid of you suing them for bad faith (i.e. not keeping their end of the insurance contract) than paying a claim they might have a remote chance of weaseling out of paying because you were overweight. I know this because I paid for all my aforementioned toys investigating accidents for insurance companies. That is my livelihood. I have seen far more blatant situations where coverage could be denied for an insured (but was not) than something like an overweight trailer. For instance, intentional acts (like trying to run someone down in a road rage event) are excluded from coverage. Yet those times I have come across this the claim is still paid out. Besides, how would they determine the weight of your pile of sticks and aluminum siding after your trailer is totaled in an accident

I might sound a little cavalier, but I think the weight thing is sometimes overwrought. You can certainly put yourself in an unsafe situation by being overweight (and crash because of it), but so can you put yourself in greater danger by any number of things. You can have too little weight on the trailer tongue, you can have underinflated tires, faulty tires, a faulty hitch (heck I replaced the GM hitch because of its propensity to fail, but GM doesn't seem worried), a poorly maintained vehicle, not enough sleep, sub-par vision, or just drive plain stupid. I think all of those are worse than being a few hundred over the weight limit.

Some people wonder why there are so many accidents, but I marvel at how comparatively few accidents there are given all of the above. There is a large buffer built into the system (including weight ratings) such that despite all of the above being a daily occurrence on our roads very little actually comes of it. So I'm not saying ignore the weight ratings, but I am saying that if you're close and can still comfortably control your rig (be honest) then get on with camping and having a good time.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I will say that my max comfortable speed is 65 mph, Good because that's probably your max tire speed too.

I have not weighed my rig, and don't plan to. Wonder if your tires or axles are overweight. Just a thought. Ever had a blow out?
Ideas in red.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote