Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #29

On the 65 mph, I do know that the tires have a max speed. I had no intent to go faster than 65 mph anyway, but when I did I became more uncomfortable. As this was my first trip with this trailer, I learned from that and will err on the side of slowing down instead of speeding up when possible.

On the tires or axles being possibly overweight, I have a couple of thoughts. First is that I noticed that the GVWR of my trailer is 7500 pounds, but I think my axles are 3500 lbs each. Hmmm. I wonder how Jayco gets away with that, maybe sprung vs. unsprung weight wherein the weight of the axles is not part of the calculation of their weight bearing ability? Not going to change my axles, and won't be stuffing 2000lbs of water and stuff in my trailer either. I don't know much about axles, but what happens to them if I max out my trailer and tow it?

On the tires, the rig came with Goodyear Marathon Load range C. I think the 4 of them could carry 7280 pounds. Again, less than the GVWR of my trailer (I'm sure you've seen this situation pointed out on the forum before). But, because of the info I gleaned from here and a few other sites, I changed them. This was due to their age (OEM 2008), load range, and reputation. I got Maxxis load range D.

To answer your question, I have had a blow out on a trailer. Not this one, but the boat. Actually 2 blow outs--on one trip (!) and of course just one spare. This was before the internet was all that useful, and my tires were underinflated. Did not know that they would blow out because of that. It was fun to make a slow roll off the freeway and to a boat ramp, where we put the boat in the water and one of us took the boat home by sea, and the other (me) drove on 3 wheels on surface streets all the way back by land. No weight on the trailer allowed for that. So I am sensitive to blowouts and the expensive damper that kind of event puts on a trip.

PS The Marathons could be filled over the 50 psi "max" on the sidewall for use at speeds above 65 mph per the manufacturer. For whatever that's worth.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #30

I'm beginning to wonder about this forum, hahaha.

The OP is well within his towing specs, no one will load a 4800 lb. TT with enough weight to hit his GVWR on the TT. It seems that if you are towing with a meager F150 it better be a pop-up and nothing over a few thousand pounds! I'm way bellow my max anything but when it comes time to go a bit larger, I know I have a good bit of room. Not to say I would not go to a 250 or 350 at some point, but for what I have now it should suffice on all but the larger TT's. I've even been consider some light fivers.

To Heymon: I think Jayco is coming up with the 7500 lbs. with the addition of the hitch weight which does not sit on the trailer axels.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #31

My 3600lbs 88 Ranger could carry over 2000 lbs in the box and tow a 5600 lb trailer loaded.
I did not buy my F250 that weights 7800 lbs to only be able to carry 1700 lbs in the box as marked on the door.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnSth View Post
To Heymon: I think Jayco is coming up with the 7500 lbs. with the addition of the hitch weight which does not sit on the trailer axels.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #33

Heymon don't forget you need to subtract the TT's tongue weight from the loaded weight. The only weight on the tires and suspension is the TT it's self. The tongue sits on the truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
First is that I noticed that the GVWR of my trailer is 7500 pounds, but I think my axles are 3500 lbs each. Hmmm. I wonder how Jayco gets away with that, ...
What they said.

7,000 pounds on the trailer axles plus a minimum of 10% tongue (hitch) weight would be a GVWR of 7,700 pounds. So if the trailer has a GVWR of only 7,500 pounds, that's conservative. Jayco (and all other RV trailer manufacturers) include GAWR as well as wet and loaded hitch weight when they calculate GVWR.

Being practical, when you're on the road and stop at a CAT scale to weight the rig, the scale ticket is not going to show you the GVW of the trailer - just the GAW. So don't be concerned with GVWR of the trailer. Just don't ever cross a CAT scale and see the weight on the trailer axles exceeding the combined GAWR of the trailer axles.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote