Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
2012 F-150 with Jayflight 24FBS

I was reading an earlier post where someone was asking about towing a larger trailer than ours (24FBS) with a F-150, which has now got me a bit paranoid! LOL

Our truck has max towing of 9300lbs, is a 5.0 litre V8 with a 3:73 rear end. It says the rear GAWR is 3850lbs and front is 3750lbs. Not really sure what this means!

The trailer is listed at Jayco site as 4850lbs dry (seems light, I think it's more like 5300 with options and Gross weight of 7500lbs. Dry hitch of 535lbs.

Thoughts? Are we OK! We about to sign on the dotted line with this trailer! Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

Use GVWR of trailer, which is it's max. 7500lbs. Tongue will be roughly 1125.

You're gonna be on the edge with that trailer. I'm sure it'll "do it," but you probably wouldn't be very happy to be honest.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

So your GVW is 7600? Then guessing your payload is around 1400+lbs.
At 4850lbs dry then you'll likely be 58-6000lbs loaded. Doubt you will reach the TT's GVW of 7500lbs. Unlikely that you will put 2650lbs in that TT. There simply isn't enough room inside. Only issue is the 90 gal fresh water tank. That could weigh 756lbs so towing with that could be an issue. 6000lbs (little water) would equate to 600-900lbs. Lets split the diff @750lbs. You now have apr 650lbs left for passengers and stuff you put in the truck.
All this is assumptions. What really needs to be done is read the yellow sticker on the drivers side door or door jamb. It will have your payload capacity there. Figure what you will have in the truck when camping and that's what's left for the TT's tongue weight.
If you load light then you should be fine. If you take a lot of heavy stuff in your truck like firewood then you could be close on the trucks payload.

Main thing is the trucks payload capacity. On 1/2 tons it's almost always exceeded before the max towing rating is reached.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I looked at the sticker on the door of the truck. It doesn't say anything about payload.

It does say the following:
GVWR: 7350 Lbs
Front GAWR: 3750 lbs
Rear GAWR: 3850 lbs

Does this mean the payload is 3850 lbs?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
I looked at the sticker on the door of the truck. It doesn't say anything about payload.

It does say the following:
GVWR: 7350 Lbs
Front GAWR: 3750 lbs
Rear GAWR: 3850 lbs

Does this mean the payload is 3850 lbs?
GVWR is max weight your truck can have on it.
GAWR is the max weight the particular axle can handle.

Load up the truck with all the people in it, full fuel tank, and weigh it. Then you will have individual weights to compare to the max, giving you your "payload."
Old 01-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I found it, finally. The payload is 1615 lbs!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Maybe. That's for an empty truck with nothing hardly in it.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
The sticker says: "the maximum cargo and occupants should not exceed 1613 lbs". Is that what we are talking about?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #9

Payload is just a guesstimate. Weigh. The. Truck. Then you will really know how much you can load.
Payload is the difference in GVWR and an "unloaded" truck.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Your real-world net payload available for hitch weight is GVWR minus the wet and loaded weight of the truck. "Wet and loaded" means full of gas, plus all the people, pets, tools, jacks, shank and ball mount of your weight-distributing hitch, and anything else that might be in the pickup when towing.

My payload available for hitch weight is 550 pounds. I'm overloaded with my 19' TT with hitch weight of 650 pounds. Yours may not be much more than that. The only way to be sure is to weigh the wet and loaded truck, then do the math.

Then after you know the net payload available for hitch weight, divide that payload number by 0.15, and the answer is the maximum GVWR of any TT you want to consider.

Using the dry or shipping weight of a TT, then trying to guess how much weight you will add is a sure way to wind up overloaded when in the middle of your third camping trip. Instead, use 15% of the GVWR of the trailer as your estimated hitch weight. Then you probably won't wind up overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
1615lbs is a good number. You know whats going in the truck so deduct that from your 1615. It's not rocket science and don't fret the small stuff. You have plenty of truck for that TT. Just don't load 1/2 cord of fire wood in the truck and you'll be fine. Watch the fresh water fill ups. If you rarely travel with fresh water then no biggy. I would find out where the fresh water tank is located. If it's over the axles then fill it if you want. If it's in the front of the axles then you may be pushing things a bit when you fill it.

Load up and go have fun IMO.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #12

given a good load leveling/anti sway hitch, you have plenty of truck to handle the camper mentioned .... its easy to fall into the "analysis paralysis" trap when all that matters is performs in the real world .... based on your use of the rig, are you happy with its performance

Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBar View Post
its easy to fall into the "analysis paralysis" trap when all that matters is performs in the real world ....
Disagree. You're ignoring the entire legal aspects of towing while exceeding any of the manufacturer's weight limits. If you get into an accident where someone gets injured or killed while towing overloaded over any of the manufacturer's weight ratings, then you will probably be a poor person for the remainder of your life. The lawyers will be certain you never again have any spending money for frivolous pursuits such as RVing.

I was very happy with the performance of my rig when overloaded.
GCWR 14,000, GCW 14,780.
GVWR 7,100, GVW 7,980.
rGAWR 3,850, rGAW 4,680

Talk about being overloaded, that was severely overloaded. But that EcoBoost powertrain is a real towing machine, so plenty of performance up and down the hills in the Texas Hill Country. But I was lucky and didn't get involved in an accident on that 350 mile trip. And BTW, I don't plan to try to tow that trailer with that F-150 again.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Disagree. You're ignoring the entire legal aspects of towing while exceeding any of the manufacturer's weight limits. If you get into an accident where someone gets injured or killed while towing overloaded over any of the manufacturer's weight ratings, then you will probably be a poor person for the remainder of your life. The lawyers will be certain you never again have any spending money for frivolous pursuits such as RVing.
folks can "what if" most anything to most any extreme .... the person at fault in an accident as outlined above has liability issues no matter if he is towing in or out of spec .... a person who doesn't have an accident or is in an accident that wasn't his fault has no such issues .... internet rumors most certainly run rampant in all directions .... try to find one single case where an insurance company failed to pay a claim due to towing specs .... if you can, I'd most certainly appreciate a link to the proof but my bet is, you can't ..... it can't be done because according to the people in the industry I have talked with, it tell me it hasn't happened .... the key word is fault .... the person at fault is in trouble period .... in my insurance policy there isn't any mention of towing within manufacture or any other specs and I've never heard of such a provision in any policy .... it does seem to me that it would be wise for insurance companies to have such qualifiers but to my knowledge it hasn't happened yet .... here again a link to positive proof to the contrary would be appreciated

Jim