Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3Alpha View Post
If you take the VIN to a dealer, they can run the original build sheet that will list every single option that particular vehicle came with. Dealers normally will do it for free, although some will charge a few dollars.
Or you can use the Etis site that I linked a few posts up. That will generate the build sheet and is where the dealers get it.
FL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL FlyFisher View Post
Or you can use the Etis site that I linked a few posts up. That will generate the build sheet and is where the dealers get it.
Hi FL, I did try but it didn't seem to work. Didn't get any info on the truck. PM me and I'll provide you with the VIN if you want to give it a try. Just says:

F250/350/450/550 Super Duty, 6.7L 4V V8 T/C Diesel, White Platimum

Nothing else about the trim level or build information. Unless, of course, I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!
CruzTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #17

Hmmm, sorry about that. Not sure why its not giving full info. I just tried it with my VIN and got only the basic info as well. Last time I used it (June) it gave the full build sheet with a detailed listing of everything on the truck when it left the factory. I'm not sure if the system is down or if maybe Ford changed access.
FL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #18

Ford has quit letting the general public access what you are talking about, along with most,if not all, of the window stickers that they used to allow anyone to access. About the only window sticker you can get is one that hasn't sold yet.
Been at least a year since I could get the stickers on used Superdutys for sale on the internet.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #19

So, my son (who used to sell cars sometime ago - 10 years ago) knows a Ford salesman, that he once worked with elsewhere. Today we stopped by the Ford dealership and got a copy of the window sticker for the truck. So now we know what is on it.

Checked out NADA; Edmunds and KBB - whole moley what a difference. NADA shows $37K for a clean trade-in; Edmunds shows $34K private party; and well KBB, geez where are they coming from, says, $44K.

We're going to tentatively offer $35K; pending mechanic checking out all the hoses and such. As my son said, it's been in the desert of Arizona, so want to make sure they're all good to go. If they need to be replaced, we'll need to renegotiate the price of the truck with that in mind.

This is all pending our seeing the truck and getting it checked out.

Any input?

Oh and by the way, I test drove a 2017 F250 XLT FX4 Crew Cab while we were there LOL
Old 01-02-2018, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
VIN typically won't have any info regarding the trim level; the build sheet would have that info.
Dealer can give you trim level from vin only.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Call parts department.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Yes, but they are not getting the trim level from the VIN, they are using the VIN to run the build sheet, and getting the trim level from that. Ford "truck" VIN does not include trim levels.
H3Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Yes, but they are not getting the trim level from the VIN, they are using the VIN to run the build sheet, and getting the trim level from that.
Trim level is noted on window sticker:

2012 SD F350 4X4 Crewcab
Lariat 172" WB Styleside
6.7L V-8 Diesel
6-Speed Auto Trans

It also lists other optional equipment as well, which I used to obtain the quotes I provided previously.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Yes, but they are not getting the trim level from the VIN, they are using the VIN to run the build sheet, and getting the trim level from that. Ford "truck" VIN does not include trim levels.
Same thing. I worked Ford parts for 24 years. Enter vin in electric parts catalogue. Voila, build info comes up! If ( there are always exceptions) not check vcis.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzTerri View Post
Trim level is noted on window sticker:

2012 SD F350 4X4 Crewcab
Lariat 172" WB Styleside
6.7L V-8 Diesel
6-Speed Auto Trans

It also lists other optional equipment as well, which I used to obtain the quotes I provided previously.
Correct. And your son was likely able to get a copy of that window sticker by providing the dealer with the VIN. That allowed the dealer to pull up the window sticker. For even more detail (every single option, including everything from rear end gearing to floor mats) the dealer could also run the RPO build sheet for that VIN. For example, my Hummer H3 has 3 different option packages (which would be on the window sticker but not the VIN). But the RPO Build Sheet for it lists more than 80 items.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Same thing. I worked Ford parts for 24 years. Enter vin in electric parts catalogue. Voila, build info comes up! If ( there are always exceptions) not check vcis.
I understand, but the VIN itself does not have that info. Enter the VIN in "Ford"s system, and of course that info is available since it is referencing Ford's database. Enter the VIN in any other VIN decoder, and only the basic info will show up; there are only 5 digits (4th - 8th) that give specifics about the vehicle itself; brand type, engine... All other digits reference things like manufacturer, assembly plant, model year, etc. The serial number (the last 6 digits of the VIN) are what allows the Ford database to know exactly what was on that specific vehicle.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Correct. And your son was likely able to get a copy of that window sticker by providing the dealer with the VIN. That allowed the dealer to pull up the window sticker. For even more detail (every single option, including everything from rear end gearing to floor mats) the dealer could also run the RPO build sheet for that VIN. For example, my Hummer H3 has 3 different option packages (which would be on the window sticker but not the VIN). But the RPO Build Sheet for it lists more than 80 items.
Yes, we had the VIN The window sticker that we got provided us with enough information so we have extended a tentative offer. Advised seller that we want to have the truck checked out by a mechanic to make sure all hoses, etc are still in good condition. If this happens it will happen in a couple of weeks. That's when the seller will be at her second home, which is where the truck is garaged. We'll meet her there and go over the truck etc. If all goes well, we'll be bringing it home at that time.

So we'll see how it all goes.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #28

That diesel Super Duty wouldn't even know it has your trailer behind it.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, offer