Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #15

Retired Fire Service RVer's
And to be a bit more specific, one particular model I like a lot, especially after having been in one, is the Outdoors RV Creek Side 21RBS. A little heavy for the length, but this company has an excellent reputation for building stout trailers. It's on my short list for shopping in the spring, but only if I can find one that's been lightly used. This brand is manufactured in Eastern Oregon, so might not be many around down in Margaritaville.

Cheers!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #16

The Creekside 21RBS is along the lines of what we are looking for. No rear bunks and a slide out for room.

We would prefer it a bit longer with the door away from the back end a bit. This gives us room for some nice chairs. There is one brand out there that is like this and has big window in the back. That appeals to us.

Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
The Creekside 21RBS is along the lines of what we are looking for. No rear bunks and a slide out for room.

We would prefer it a bit longer with the door away from the back end a bit. This gives us room for some nice chairs. There is one brand out there that is like this and has big window in the back. That appeals to us.
I've seen a couple of units with the big picture window in back, but my foggy old brain can't recall the brand. They were very nice, but for me the rear bath took precedence. if I get a brainstorm re the brand I'll let you know...

The length/weight were about right when we were considering a new 150 as the TV. Seems that most of the Outdoors RV TT's are heavier than "average" for their length. But they build their own frames and insulate a bit more than average too. Once we decided to go to a higher rated truck, the length was way less of an issue for us.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #18

Trucks should have 4 how ratings.

1. Hay wagon out of the field to the barn at 35mph.

2. Flat bed trailer with steel rods that do not catch any wind nor have any arodynamic drag.

3. A boat

4. A travel trailer that will catch wind from all directions and had substantial aerodynamic drag.

I was use to towing boats. When I towed the same weight TT as my boat I was very surprised at the difference. 1st towing a boat I never needed anti-sway nor WDH. Towing the same weight TT I need both.

I cap the weight of a TT that I will tow with a 1/2 ton truck on the highway at 6,000lbs.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #19

I've been casually looking at RV websites looking at TT floorplans. (Recovering from surgery, laying flat on my back most of the time, so have a lot of time on my hands...lol) It looks to me as though the sort of floorplan (rear lounge, one slide, full size bed, and an open layout) you seek is mostly in units of 26 feet, plus or minus. And all of them seem to be heavier than what your looking for. My "research" has been less than extensive, but perhaps there is something out there that I've overlooked.

Good luck...!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #20

Advanced technical data on 2013 Ford F-150 XLT w/HD Payload Pkg 4WD SuperCrew 157

Body Code:
157" WB
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front (lbs):
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear (lbs):
Curb Weight - Front (lbs):
Curb Weight - Rear (lbs):
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap (lbs):
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs):
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs):
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs):
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs):
Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs):
Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs):
Old 12-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #21

When talking with the wife and looking at floor plans she quickly focused on the ones that were 29+ feet in length and more than I care to put into a used travel trailer.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:40 PM   #22

As I look at more floor plans more things present themselves as candidates. Fleetwood has the Mallard series that would work. Instead of two lounge chairs in the back the slide out has a dining table and a jackknife couch. This opens up a lot of room. However it looks like the bed is maybe up against a wall. I want both side open on the bed.

Looked a bit more and the Mallard 26RLS may be just what we were looking for.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #23

And the hunt goes on!
Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
And the hunt goes on!
You're a hoot!

I have found some models upwards of 30 ft LOA that meet the weight limits I am considering.

Is there an inherent stability problem towing something that long behind a half tonner? Of course this would be using a WDH.

I may have to start a new topic to explore that.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #25

Quote:
You're a hoot!

I have found some models upwards of 30 ft LOA that meet the weight limits I am considering.

Is there an inherent stability problem towing something that long behind a half tonner? Of course this would be using a WDH.

I may have to start a new topic to explore that.
My wife doesn't agree with you.

No personal experience towing trailers of that length, but I would be a bit concerned about the leverage of such a long trailer in heavy crosswinds and traffic hitched to a half ton.

Of course the last time I was in your neck of the woods was on a motorcycle, 2 days traveling southbound toward New Mexico from Iowa. With a constant side wind of 40 mph. Never want to do that again.

I'm sure some other more learned folk than I will jump in here. lol

Cheers, Bill
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
My wife doesn't agree with you.

Of course the last time I was in your neck of the woods was on a motorcycle, 2 days traveling southbound toward New Mexico from Iowa. With a constant side wind of 40 mph. Never want to do that again.

Cheers, Bill
I was working a job in Oklahoma City with some engineers from Germany that had never been to our state. Oklahoma is very windy typically, after a bit you don't notice it so much.
But this day was a real doozy....winds straight out of the south, steady at 40+ MPH. You park into the wind so the doors on your vehicle don't get folded back.

Anyway we are walking towards the building and really having to lean into it. One of the Germans asks me if the weather is always like this. I dead panned, "Nope, on some days the wind picks up a bit" and just kept walking.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are three levels of WDH/sway control. Cheap and unacceptable (to me) cost less than $500 complete with adjustable shank from discount online hitch sources such as Amazon.com and eTrailer.com. Much better but not the best cost over $500 to about $700 from discount hitch sources. And the best with outstanding sway prevention cost about 4 times as much as the good hitches.

Good ones include the Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar, Equal-I-Zer, Blue Ox SwayPro, and the old version of the Husky Centerline. Reese and Husky make cheap hitches as well as the good ones, so pay attention if you buy one of those brands. Husky recently redesigned the Centerline to make it cheaper, so I wouldn't buy a new Husky Centerline unless I was sure it was the previous model.

Best is the ProPride 3P. That's the one I have on my TT. Around $2500 delivered. I could drag a 30' TT with my ProPride hitch with no concern for cross winds or anything else wagging the tail. With a 10k TT, you want the ProPride rated for 1,400 pounds tongue weight.
Trailer Sway Control Hitch Guaranteed to Eliminate Trailer Sway - ProPride 3P
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #28

Quote:
I was working a job in Oklahoma City with some engineers from Germany that had never been to our state. Oklahoma is very windy typically, after a bit you don't notice it so much.
But this day was a real doozy....winds straight out of the south, steady at 40+ MPH. You park into the wind so the doors on your vehicle don't get folded back.

Anyway we are walking towards the building and really having to lean into it. One of the Germans asks me if the weather is always like this. I dead panned, "Nope, on some days the wind picks up a bit" and just kept walking.
Great story!

My windy motorcycle ride began in Louisville after I picked up the bike from a private seller. My plan was to visit family in N Iowa, then to head due west back to Seattle. Expected just a day or so to get to my brothers house, but it took 2 1/2 days after literally getting blown off the freeway in Illinois. Route had to be modified somewhat due to a blizzard covering the Rockies from Canada to New Mexico. Big loop to avoid the storm, 3-4 day trip took 9 days, strongest winds were through S Kansas and the OK panhandle. What a ride that was...

You folks got some strong winds!

Cheers! Bill

Tags
tow