Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #1

2013 F150XLT 4x4 3.55, What would you suggest as tow limit

I've done the lookup on my truck, 2013 F150XLT, 5.0 ltr, 3.55 axle and 5.5 bed. It is rated to tow 7700.

Some suggest total towed weight should not exceed 80% of vehicle rating, which in my case would be 6160 pounds.

Right now I am looking at TT 6K and under dry weight. Water, supplies, propane and all the kit that gets loaded I'm certain will add to this.

My payload is limited to about 1400 pounds. That is with a 150 pound driver. Don't know how Ford came up with a 150 pound driver but I'm a bit past that.

So with a WDH on a TT with a total wet weight of 6000 pounds, how much tongue weight will be placed upon the receiver hitch?

What would you consider your safe towing limit? I'm really interested in hearing from drivers of similar trucks that are towing with WDH and heavier TT.

Thanks...

Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
So with a WDH on a TT with a total wet weight of 6000 pounds, how much tongue weight will be placed upon the receiver hitch?
As much as 15% of the GVW of the trailer weight.

Go here: RV Tow Check 2.0 | Salesperson Fact Checker

Old 12-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #3

Well that tells me the max I can tow is 6696 pounds.
I hope to keep it under the TT under 5400 pounds.
That gives me a tongue weight of 810 pounds.
A WDH would likely be a good investment.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:44 AM   #4

Retired Fire Service RVer's
If there's a public truck scale around Margaritaville it would be useful to weigh the front and rear axles of your 150 loaded with passengers and gear as if heading out camping. Probably the only way you'll really know what payload capacity you have. As to the 150 pound driver...they wouldn't give me a driver's license when I was in 7th grade, don't know where they come up with that 150 number...
Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #5

I got my first license at 14 to drive a motorcycle. I had all my height but was a real beanpole.

They never updated my info so years later I'm renewing my license in my mid 40's. Had me listed at 6'2" and 140 pounds.

Somewhere in my truck is a receipt from dumping trash. It has my total vehicle weight with me in it. But it does not split between axles.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #6

Quote:
I got my first license at 14 to drive a motorcycle. I had all my height but was a real beanpole.

They never updated my info so years later I'm renewing my license in my mid 40's. Had me listed at 6'2" and 140 pounds.

Somewhere in my truck is a receipt from dumping trash. It has my total vehicle weight with me in it. But it does not split between axles.
Important to know those numbers loaded for the road. Rear axle weight rating may become a hurdle, but think you can do it with some careful analysis and shopping.

I haven't seen 140 for, oh, several decades. No one ever accused me of being a beanpole.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #7

The Zeppelin series by Keystone are looking good if we can find a used one with the floor plan we want.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 AM   #8

Sometimes it takes patience.

A little OT, but my brother found a really nice 38 foot motorhome with hardly any miles last year. Made an offer of 50% of the value, and drove it home.

Ya never know.

Have you looked at any Jayco's?
Old 12-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My payload is limited to about 1400 pounds. ... So with a WDH on a TT with a total wet weight of 6000 pounds, how much tongue weight will be placed upon the receiver hitch?
Average is 12.5 to 13% of gross trailer weight. So count on 13%.

13% of 6,000 pounds is 780 pounds. Add 70 pounds for WD hitch and the total is about 850 pounds hitch weight. That leaves you 550 pounds for max other weight in the pickup, including people, pets, tools, a jack, campfire wood, whatever you haul in the truck when RVing. In other words, with a 6,000 pound TT, you're probably going to be overloaded over the GVWR of the F-150 if you haul the normal payload of an RV family in the F-150.

My SuperCrew has payload capacity of 1,566, and I'm overloaded with just me, DW and puppydog in the F-150, and dragging a TT that grosses 4,870 pounds when wet and loaded for the road. So unless you travel really light, I'll bet the CAT scale will prove you're overloaded over the GVWR of your half-ton pickup if you drag a TT that grosses 6,000 pounds.

Pulling power is not the problem - it's lack of payload capacity for hauling weight on the suspension of the F-150. My drivetrain is rated to tow 8,400 pounds, and it will easily pull that weight over mountain passes, but not without exceeding the payload capacity of my F-150.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

5,000lbs will be plenty for a 1/2 ton if you travel mountain roads much.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #11

This is where it comes down to borderline false advertising. Manufacturers claim that their XYZ truck can pull 9200 pounds, but don't mention that doesn't factor in the load on the truck from a trailer or fifth wheel. Generally speaking a properly set up travel trailer should place 10 to 15 percent of it's weight on the hitch. So even moderately sized trailers like Smokey's are right on the cusp of overloading the truck.

So yeah, the XYZ truck can pull a 9200 pound farm wagon (with wheels at all four corners) but it has no hitch weight to affect the truck payload.

If you can accurately determine the available rear axle payload with the truck full fueled and loaded for the road (and adding 70 pounds for a hitch), you can divide that available payload number by .10 and by .15 to find a range of max GVWR for a potential trailer. At least that's the way I think it works...but probably not explained very well...
Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
This is where it comes down to borderline false advertising.
If it is not false it is certainly misleading. However I expect if you look at the combination they set up they will be within the GCWR of the truck.

No extended cab, no 4 wheel, no passenger, no cargo, full trailer towing package and a 16 year old size 1 model driving.

They make their disclaimers in the brochures saying you can tow that much only if you do not exceed GVWR, GAWR and GCWR knowing full well most folks do not read much more than the big print and the pictures.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Sometimes it takes patience.

A little OT, but my brother found a really nice 38 foot motorhome with hardly any miles last year. Made an offer of 50% of the value, and drove it home.

Ya never know.

Have you looked at any Jayco's?
A MH is not in our plans.

There are several models of the Jayco that would work for us.

Brands or models I have bookmarked for further review are:

Holiday Rambler
Jayco
Trailmanor
Kodiak's by Dutchmen
Gulfstream
Layton
Forest River
Keystone

Seem to be a lot of Jayco's around here in Oklahoma.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. If I left your your personal favorite feel free to chime in.

We want a queen with access from both sides, a good sized slide out and no other beds. We are not taking anyone with us and would prefer to have a more open area with a larger kitchen and bath.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #14

Quote:
A MH is not in our plans.

There are several models of the Jayco that would work for us.

Brands or models I have bookmarked for further review are:

Holiday Rambler
Jayco
Trailmanor
Kodiak's by Dutchmen
Gulfstream
Layton
Forest River
Keystone

Seem to be a lot of Jayco's around here in Oklahoma.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. If I left your your personal favorite feel free to chime in.

We want a queen with access from both sides, a good sized slide out and no other beds. We are not taking anyone with us and would prefer to have a more open area with a larger kitchen and bath.
Wasn't suggesting a MH, just an anecdotal tale about bargains in lightly used RV's being out there awaiting your discovery.

Those are all pretty good brands, I'm a bit partial towards Holiday Rambler, Jayco, Gulfstream, and Outdoors RV brands. The Outdoors products may be scarce in your neck of the woods, and perhaps a bit too heavy.

When we began our hunt it appeared that units that were relatively light weight, single slides, full size bed and a rear bath were 24' or less. Seems like there are a bazillion floor plans, looking at layouts on paper (or the 'net) was helpful. Helped us narrow the parameters further by going to multiple RV shows and seeing rigs side by side.

Cheers!

Tags
tow