Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #15

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTravel59 View Post
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I am learning a lot from this. At my age, it's no use worrying about the "small" stuff. I agree with you. Can't afford the fifth wheel, so I'm now looking for something under 28' and lighter. I AM going to get this stuff straight and hopefully, soon, I will have my first Camp Host position and I will be off and running. Maybe we will run into each other.
You are most welcome, we're a bit more senior than you, but know that we can continue to learn more. And, it's all "small" stuff to a certain degree.

My dear lady retired just this year, but I had to pull the pin 14 years ago because of health concerns. We got our F-150 in late '98 with the intent of getting a TT to do some travel/camping. Our plans got put on a long "hold" with medical problems. Frankly, not entirely sure we're going to enjoy RVing, but we're sure going to give it a good shot! LOL

We'll be getting a new truck pretty soon, and will most likely buy a used 24'-26' TT to give this lifestyle change a trial period. Cindy is looking forward to a LOT of fly fishing, I'm looking forward to dabbling a bit more in photography and camp cooking!

Good luck! Bill and Cindy.
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I am learning a lot from this. At my age, it's no use worrying about the "small" stuff. I agree with you. Can't afford the fifth wheel, so I'm now looking for something under 28' and lighter. I AM going to get this stuff straight and hopefully, soon, I will have my first Camp Host position and I will be off and running. Maybe we will run into each other.
And don't forget to post a picture or two of your new truck and trailer combo...we'll be looking for it!

B&C
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
My 2011 F-150 (5.0) pulls my 29' trailer OK. It weighs about 6200# loaded. I have had no problems so far but it does shift as far down as 3rd gear for steeper hills... and runs 4500 rpms to the top of the hill before shifting up. I do get pushed around a little on the interstates by 18 wheelers. I am about to trade up to a 3/4 ton diesel because I will feel better about towing that much with bigger brakes and tires. The pulling power of the diesel will be nice, too. However, if I couldn't afford to do that, I still wouldn't hesitate to go on a good trip with the F-150... it does a pretty good job for me... and gets about 21 mpg on the hiway not towing...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #18

One thing that will help for stability is the hitch--consider a Hensley Arrow or a ProPride weight distributiing hitch. More $$$ but also more peace of mind.
And what kind of dogs?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #19

Hi Wingnut60. I have 2 small toy poodles. They weigh about 11 lbs combined. I am going today to try pulling the a Jayco 25RKS. It weighs about 6300. Salesman has agreed to let me hook up and pull it around to see if truck can handle it. If it seems too big, I'll go with a different trailer. I hope it works cause I really love this trailer, and they have assured me it will work. Also, it's the best deal I've run across after weeks of looking. They are throwing in the WD hitch and stabilizer bars in the deal, so I'm not sure they will be the $$$ ones.
LaTravel59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #20

Well, if the truck can't handle the trailer, its not the dogs' fault....

I towed a 26' TT long time ago with an Expedition, but when I went to a 30' w/slide, had to upsize to a 3/4T pickup. However, the same trailers now are lighter.
I think you will be ok, but if you really love the trailer/floorplan and go ahead with the purchase, then do some research on the Hensley Arrow or the ProPride hitches--much better stability with them. At some point, one of those 2 hitches will really add a feeling of security while towing in crosswinds and being passed by semis. They may be costly, but used ones pop up regularly on Craigslist and such--they hardly ever wear out, so a use one is normally ok to buy.
Best of luck to you.
Joe
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #21

Picked up the trailer today. The truck pulls it like a breeze! Course, I didn't go much over 60 mph with it cause I'm still very cautious. I even backed it into my driveway all by myself. I know that's not much, but I really felt I had accomplished something. Only problem was, couldn't get the trailer to unhitch from the ball on the WD hitch. It just would not come loose. Finally just had to undo the hitch from the truck and pull out from it. The WD hitch is still hanging on the end of the trailer. Lol. Guess I'll work on that tomorrow. And yes, I did pull up on the latch and disconnected everything else. Maybe some WD 40 and a crowbar will work. Still learning all this, but I'm making progress!
LaTravel59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have a light coating of grease on the ball. Also, if it is in a bind, you may need to pull forward or backward ever so slightly to gry==et the ball to release.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Picked up the trailer today. The truck pulls it like a breeze! Course, I didn't go much over 60 mph with it cause I'm still very cautious. I even backed it into my driveway all by myself. I know that's not much, but I really felt I had accomplished something. Only problem was, couldn't get the trailer to unhitch from the ball on the WD hitch. It just would not come loose. Finally just had to undo the hitch from the truck and pull out from it. The WD hitch is still hanging on the end of the trailer. Lol. Guess I'll work on that tomorrow. And yes, I did pull up on the latch and disconnected everything else. Maybe some WD 40 and a crowbar will work. Still learning all this, but I'm making progress!
Thanks for the report...that Jayco is one trailer we've been considering, but had sort of eliminated since the GVWR is quite a bit more than the 7500lb "limit" that we were using to evaluate. Sounds like your F-150 hauls it okay! OTOH, we only have one poodle in our load! LOL

Cheers! B&C.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #24

LaTravel59,
Some of the trailer hitches are kind of picky about not having any forward/reverse force on them for the inside catch to release. Many times, the handle is up, but the inside catch has not moved because the trailer is pinning the catch against the housing. If you have any slant on the section where the trailer is parked, that might be the problem. You'll figure it out.
And a little grease on the ball should help--except when you rub the white slacks against it...
Joe
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #25

Towing

Quote:
Am new to all this, so need some advice. I recently purchased the new 2013 Ford F150 with 5.0 V8. It has towing package, sway control and trailer brakes. I am looking to buy a travel trailer that is 30' and the weight is 6500 lbs. The truck manual says it can tow up to 8100 lbs. The travel trailer salesman says the truck can handle this trailer, but some friends say it can't. I don't want to buy a trailer that the truck can't tow comfortably. Any one have any words of wisdom?
Have you looked at a 2013 or 2014 Toyota Tundra? I have a 2007 4x4 CrewMax Toyota Tundra tow rating 10,200#.
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LaTravel, If you are having trouble getting the ball out of the tongue then just raise the jack on the trailer up where you feel it starting to pick up the back of the truck. Then climb on your bumper and kinda jump up and down. Basically using the trucks weight and your weight (while in motion) to free up the ball. Always worked for me.
Also IMHO the weak link in the whole set-up is the transmission....get a temp gauge installed if it does not have one.
Good luck
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rambler25 View Post
Have you looked at a 2013 or 2014 Toyota Tundra? I have a 2007 4x4 CrewMax Toyota Tundra tow rating 10,200#.
Uh, did you notice she said she just purchased the F-150? I doubt she's wanting to trade it in already...lol.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did read the whole thread from start to finish.... if you read my post I was poining out that the weak link IS the transmission. In other words watch the temp amd stress you put on it either from hills or heat. With that big of a trailer and maxxed out tow capacity that is what gives....The Trans....did you read this. Thx
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote