Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #29

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1233 View Post
I did read the whole thread from start to finish.... if you read my post I was poining out that the weak link IS the transmission. In other words watch the temp amd stress you put on it either from hills or heat. With that big of a trailer and maxxed out tow capacity that is what gives....The Trans....did you read this. Thx
Sorry Rusty, I tagged the wrong message, my comment was actually meant as a humorous response to H-Rambler 25. And, you make a good point about a transmission temp gauge...something I'll be keeping in mind for our new TV.

Cheers! Bill
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #30

The truck already has a temp gauge for the transmission. I talked to people at Ford and they assured me that the truck would be fine. Guaranteed to haul 9500 lbs. and really, the truck is in NO bind when pulling this trailer. RPM is running 2000 when pulling at 60 mph. As for the hitch, it's still hanging. I tried the jumping on it and raised the whole truck almost off the ground. I have soaked the ball and lock with WD 40 and still no luck. I'm going to call the dealer today. Some reason it's not releasing. I don't know that I can move the trailer, since I've taken the hitch off the truck. I don't think Im that good at backing in to it yet. ))
LaTravel59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #31

Bummer. I still think the inner catch is in a bind. Is there a way you can place a jack under the hitch head and take the weight of the head off the hitch (neutral up/down position)? If you can, then try to rework the release mechanism.
Yeah, backing into the hitch would be very difficult, but doable--then you do as mentioned above about jacking the trailer up some with the truck weight on the head--it would pop out.
Sometimes, these can be a very tight fit, or the trailer component has been mfg with the ball receptable too small. These are mass-produced items, and maybe this one IS too tight for a 2" ball. This has happened to me several times in past years, but I always managed to work it loose by jacking the trailer up with the head still on the truck.
Anyway you can hit downward on it with a sledge hammer?

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Could you attach a couple of pics ? Maybe somebody could see something from them to help you out.
My main point was to try the bouncing. If you have already done that. I would assume that there is something else going on. Do you have any friends or neighbors that might be able to lend a fresh set of eyes or more?
As far as the trans...just a precautionary (spelling) statement. The trans temp is all important and you are fortunate to have a factory gauge. I have read that you have done your homework and seem to be a can do type of person. I am sure you will be fine. Good Luck with the hitch.

Mr. S...my appoligies also. Not looking for an arguement either. Just trying to lend a hand.
Have a nice day to all...Rusty
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #33

Rusty,

No worries mate!

Bill J
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #34

Quote:
LaTravel, If you are having trouble getting the ball out of the tongue then just raise the jack on the trailer up where you feel it starting to pick up the back of the truck. Then climb on your bumper and kinda jump up and down. Basically using the trucks weight and your weight (while in motion) to free up the ball. Always worked for me.
Also IMHO the weak link in the whole set-up is the transmission....get a temp gauge installed if it does not have one.
Good luck

In what way is the 6R80 in the F150 a weak link. They have been out since 2006 in different versions and have been almost bullet proof. They also run hot due to the thermostatic expansion valve that regulates transmission temps. Normal is around 200*F. Fluid needs to be checked between 200-220F.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They are not. There is no weak link. Your right. Load it up and head up the hill don't worry about nothing just keep loading and going. Matter of fact I don't know why they ever made a 250
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #36

Ok, finally got trailer off of hitch. The latch was a little tight or rusty or something. A friend came over and looked at it. He got a screwdriver and rubber mallet and hit under the latch. The latch slipped back and the hitch just fell off! I thought you just lifted up on it and didn't realize it slipped back to unlatch. After a good spraying with the WD40, it slides easily now. Learning new stuff every day! Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Y'all don't argue about all this stuff now, be nice.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #37

Sometimes a bigger hammer is the solution! LOL
Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #38

Quote:
They are not. There is no weak link. Your right. Load it up and head up the hill don't worry about nothing just keep loading and going. Matter of fact I don't know why they ever made a 250

Well be prepared to back up something if you are typing it. If you cant, it is just hear say or internet myth. I have been around these transmissions since the beginning. So im pretty familiar with them.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
In what way is the 6R80 in the F150 a weak link. They have been out since 2006 in different versions and have been almost bullet proof. They also run hot due to the thermostatic expansion valve that regulates transmission temps. Normal is around 200*F. Fluid needs to be checked between 200-220F.
I would get a scangage non the less. Normally the gage in the truck won't move till it reaches the danger zone then it'll start moving. Too late IMO. I had a scangage on my last two F150's, an 08 and a 10. The gage never moved even though I could see the tranny temps rising on the SG. On the 08 it helped me to see where my temps were so I could back off a little when climbing mtns. On the 10 the temps didn't rise as much, probably because of better cooling in the 10. But they still did rise and seeing them rise allowed me to decide whether to keep the pedal to the metal climbing or back off some. Cheap ins IMO. FWIW both F150s were Max Tow optioned.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I would get a scangage non the less. Normally the gage in the truck won't move till it reaches the danger zone then it'll start moving. Too late IMO. I had a scangage on my last two F150's, an 08 and a 10. The gage never moved even though I could see the tranny temps rising on the SG. On the 08 it helped me to see where my temps were so I could back off a little when climbing mtns. On the 10 the temps didn't rise as much, probably because of better cooling in the 10. But they still did rise and seeing them rise allowed me to decide whether to keep the pedal to the metal climbing or back off some. Cheap ins IMO. FWIW both F150s were Max Tow optioned.

The newer (11 and up) has a digital read out in the cluster that gives accurate transmission temp(except base cluster). The older ones like yours just had a dummy gauge. But just because a driver thinks it is running hot does not mean it actually is. These transmissions are designed with the current fluids to run warm. All part of the low viscosity fluids to help with the almighty MPG. The TCM will pretty much lock of the torque converter to help with controlling heat. That is the source of the heat generated. Some through normal mechanical movement from the internals and some minor heat transfer from the flywheel to the torque converter, but the converter it's self is the big heat generator.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
And don't forget to post a picture or two of your new truck and trailer combo...we'll be looking for it! B&C
Here is a picture of my rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2834797535.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	716.2 KB
ID:	51186  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #42

SUHWEEET!!!!

Bet you're having fun now, thanks for showing us your rig.

Now, I'm green with envy...

Bill & Cindy